Item Search
     
BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 39 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 761

Thread: Time for FFXI "Classic"?     submit to reddit submit to twitter

  1. #121
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    4,040
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

    What is the real 75 era? Lol what?

    Everything that was 75 until it wasn’t 75.

  2. #122
    Graduate of the BG School of FFXI
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,165
    BG Level
    7
    FFXIV Character
    Misses Beansman
    FFXIV Server
    Adamantoise
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

    I love how I agree with most of what Punk is saying for once but he still cant not be a giant cunt when getting his point across.

    I'm still bitter that SE went forward with a new MMO rather then working to upgrade and build on XI.

    Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

  3. #123
    BG Content
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    43,229
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries
    9

    Quote Originally Posted by Mrbeansman View Post
    but he still cant not be a giant cunt when getting his point across.

  4. #124
    I don't like logic and I argue like an asshole. BRP 2.0
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    3,136
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

    Maybe that's just who I am. Why can't you all just accept me

  5. #125
    RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    29,180
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

    Probably because you're a cunt.

    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

  6. #126
    Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

    Vamos los Perds!

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    10,223
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

    I fail to understand why you are so zealous in this refutation of an XI classic; you account for 37 of the 125 posts in this thread. I get it, but the spam is tiresome for someone who seems to be done with both BG and XI in general. Like why even go to the Nasomi forums to revive the Nasomi BG thread with more shit? Just stop spending time on it; the bitterness/time spent posting make no sense.

  7. #127
    BG Content
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    43,229
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries
    9

    Quote Originally Posted by D44kpunk View Post
    Maybe that's just who I am. Why can't you all just accept me
    Cause you're a Hawkeye


  8. #128
    I don't like logic and I argue like an asshole. BRP 2.0
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    3,136
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

    Quote Originally Posted by Wulfgang View Post
    I fail to understand why you are so zealous in this refutation of an XI classic; you account for 37 of the 125 posts in this thread. I get it, but the spam is tiresome for someone who seems to be done with both BG and XI in general. Like why even go to the Nasomi forums to revive the Nasomi BG thread with more shit? Just stop spending time on it; the bitterness/time spent posting make no sense.
    Why do you need to check those threads? I don't check threads I'm not vested in.. is that not what everyone does? You must have an insane amount of tv shows and movies spoiled for you.

    My bad for actively posting on a dead forum. HELP

    Also to edit in, I'm just as vested in ffxi and BG as I've ever been so idk where you get that from. I was removed from ycs but not by my choice

    6souls, no

  9. #129
    Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

    Vamos los Perds!

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    10,223
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

    Quote Originally Posted by D44kpunk View Post
    Why do you need to check those threads? I don't check threads I'm not vested in.. is that not what everyone does? You must have an insane amount of tv shows and movies spoiled for you.

    My bad for actively posting on a dead forum. HELP

    6souls, no
    I just hit "New Posts" when I check BG a couple times a week and occasionally pop into threads with heavy activity to see what's going on. Don't think it's particularly unusual browsing activity when at the airport, etc.

  10. #130

    Liking 75 cap is fine. Thinking it'll be exponentially more popular than retail is where people are getting iffy with your purported opinion. Insulting the intelligence of anyone who liked Abyssea or after-times is pretty much open season for getting your junk kicked in. What tends to be common in these classic threads is that very frequently you have people that basically want to assert that nearly two decades of dev experience, experimentation, player feedback, and response to competition are wrong. I can easily point to WoW and say that XI lost to it in terms of MMOs of the same era despite personally liking XI more. And if you think popularity doesn't mean shit when we're talking 10m+ users vs. the perpetually speculated 500k floated for years, then I'd sincerely hope you'd walk back on earlier statements of the importance of streaming.

    But here's something to chew on. SE caves and opens a classic server, RotZ only, no QoL or other adjustments:
    1) Will people on private servers be willing to pay for the legitimate experience?
    2) Will people on private servers be willing to sacrifice whatever gains they have made there for retail?
    3) Will these servers be litigated into non-existence because they're infringing upon SE's copyrights?
    4) Will people not play because it doesn't include CoP and/or ToAU?
    5) Will they not play because of absent QoL things that have otherwise squeaked into some classic servers?

    In general, I think you underestimate how many people play any sort of private server because it's free, with potential mention to mods like increased EXP, drop rates, movement speed, or whatever. XI's scene is also notorious for its snobbery and lack of willingness to develop post-CoP content, so you can't really say these same users also wouldn't accept that or beyond. Time isn't helping this as interest among people with the capability to reverse engineer later content also wanes. Again, this isn't me saying there aren't people who prefer the good old days, but even all these servers are failing to truly emulate that era when you're probably lucky to see over 100 unique users at peak times when back than you could easily see over 4000. The difference that makes in the economy alone is staggering, never mind the ability to find people to play with for what you want to do.

    As an experiment for those who weren't alive or too young to really understand it all, sure, it can sound neat. As replacements for the current generation in the long term, though? Nope. And I imagine Blizzard would rather make a World of Diablo than trying to branch WoW off from WotLK or whatever. Just like people hate SE for making XIV, though, I'm sure WoW fanatics would hate Blizzard for doing that. Someone will be unhappy somewhere no matter what.

  11. #131
    I don't like logic and I argue like an asshole. BRP 2.0
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    3,136
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

    You're asking a lot of questions no one has the answers to. You said the same shit in the wow classic thread that it would flop because it wouldn't be free, so far that has turned out to be untrue. I don't know why you're trying to argue against my speculation. It's simply that, speculation. I can give my reasons but obviously I don't know the future.

    When you have a game like an MMO, a game that you're not supposed to be able to beat, yes your community is going to hate you when you completely abandon it and give all resources to an entirely different MMO, that's the actual reason blizzard has not done it. They are a bit more involved with their community. I would have personally respected SE more if they had completely shut down 11 when 14 launched. Instead you're not lowering(honestly they are artificially raising them) sub costs and basically telling your users they are going to get no support staff, no full time developers and pay the same amount of money for less content so they can fund 5% or their new venture. So disrespectful it's unreal.

    Furthermore, do you know how many players are actively playing on SoA private servers? 10-20 total. You can ask at0mos, one of the main contributors to the entire DSP project. He doesn't even like the 75 version of the game but he is primarily working on it. If it were true that people are just playing it because it's free why is there such a gravitation towards 75 versions? Your logic is insanely flawed here.

  12. #132

    If it were true that people are just playing it because it's free why is there such a gravitation towards 75 versions? Your logic is insanely flawed here.
    ...which I pre-empted with...
    Time isn't helping this as interest among people with the capability to reverse engineer later content also wanes.
    You can't and shouldn't expect at0mos to do it all. I haven't kept track with actual update process, but when I was more in the loop, ToAU was buggy, Assaults weren't done, and you could pretty much forget anything involving the add-ons, WotG, or later. So, why would people play 99 cap servers if they content isn't there? That's a question that should honestly answer itself. Of those I played with 99 cap beforehand, some tried revising existing 75 content, but most fumbled here when it came to balance or just making it fun. Some even went on to revoke the 99 cap because they just couldn't figure shit out.

    I am, and have pretty much always been, looking long term while attempting to use the past as a guide. Nothing happening with WoW now has changed my statements because I fully acknowledged there would be an initial hype/curiosity. "Come back to me in a year!" may not be what you want to hear because I'm not sucking classic cock, but referencing of MMO histories also correlates this to launch retentions amongst numerous other titles where they're lucky to see a 30% or higher rate after a few months. Some games shut down. Some converted to F2P to try and make ends meet. Blizzard/WoW may have the benefit of their reputation, but now is also a different time than 2005. Classic also has to compete with XI, XIV, Rift, Aion, Black Desert, LotRO Guild Wars 2, Skyforge, Blade and Soul, Star Wars, Star Trek, Tera, Archeage, and more I'm easily forgetting off the top of my head. They may not be blockbuster competition in most cases, but they still exist. I also wouldn't expect much deviance from other common numbers like raid clears, which will further influence the more casual interest. Because you're definitely not looking at 3 million hardcore players of your hilarious LeBron James tier, presuming whatever API hacks can be trusted and isn't later patched out by Blizz if it isn't already.

    If it turns out I'm wrong in the future, so be it. Yet, I'm not a fan of the precedent of just resurrecting old shit instead of making new things, especially when other current things are hobbling along or seeming neglected. Lootboxes are doing enough damage to the industry as is.

  13. #133
    I don't like logic and I argue like an asshole. BRP 2.0
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    3,136
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

    jesus christ you do not have the ability to admit that you're wrong do you? just move on, you were wrong, you will probably continue to be wrong. you were wrong about wow classics launch claiming it wouldn't be a big success if it its not free, your logic is wrong when you say it being "free" is the only thing keeping people playing this and it doesn't seem to hold up in any fictitious scenario you try to force into reality. the only real examples we have directly contradict you. OS RS is more popular then the current iteration of runescape, as of right now WoW classic is more popular than the current iteration of WoW. current ffxi toau servers still have the same bugs yet they still garner way more support than any 99 version, flawed logic over and over. move on, your opinion does not apply to everyone and thank god.

    edit: also not totally sure where the hacked api thing is coming from..? blizzard publicly exposed their API and you were able to pull subscriptions from it https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...-subscriptions probably shouldn't retort to things you have yet to research

    NEXT!

  14. #134
    Ara Ara...
    I used to have shit taste in anime until I took and Uryuu to the knee.

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    6,562
    BG Level
    8
    FFXIV Character
    Sean Kipling
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr

    Honestly reading this thread had taken me back to the yester years when I used to spend hours reading back and forths like this while camping HNMs.

    As for the topic of the post itself:

    Even if I have significantly less time today than I did back in highschool and college, I would sitll love to see FFXI classic come out. Many of my old buddies from that time period also have kids and a career just like me but we still find time to game together. I definitely would totally try to create some kind of leveling static with the old crew and see how far we could get.

    I've played to level ~60 on both of the popular classic era private servers. I've found I still enjoy the game, it's just really hard for me to set aside 5-6 hour time blocks needed to both look for a party and actually exp. That's my main qualm since I don't really want to dedicate myself to finding a leveling static or something of the sort just for a private server. However, for an official classic client? Fuck yeah I would.

    Right now in my 30s I am raiding in FFXIV and leveling in WoW classic. I was not an old WoW player so there is no nostalgia for me, but I am still enjoying it. It evokes a lot of the old and good RPG elements that MMOs of the time, like FFXI, used to have. Many of these elements such as meaningful character progression, socialization being required to progress and a sense of accomplishment when you do progress have all been tossed to the wayside in the modern market for the sake of the quick fix/instant gratification.

    I am actually really hoping that WoW classic does well so it shows game developers that while you don't need all of the big timesinks older games used to have, you can still extract some very meaningful and rewarding gems. Modern MMOs especially are often missing them. Maybe if WoW classic is successful we'll see an FFXI classic... but, unfortunately, I actually sincerely doubt SE is the sort of company to do such a thing.

  15. #135
    Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

    Vamos los Perds!

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    10,223
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

    Well said Kipling, agree with many of your points, particularly the last comment:

    Quote Originally Posted by Kipling View Post
    I am actually really hoping that WoW classic does well so it shows game developers that while you don't need all of the big timesinks older games used to have, you can still extract some very meaningful and rewarding gems.

  16. #136
    i should really shut up
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    3,413
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Asura

    Quote Originally Posted by Mrbeansman View Post
    I love how I agree with most of what Punk is saying for once but he still cant not be a giant cunt when getting his point across.

    I'm still bitter that SE went forward with a new MMO rather then working to upgrade and build on XI.

    Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Pchan would have done a better job presenting and arguing a topic.

    I mean what point was there that they actually got across? That they like the idea of "classic" XI? Wow, Earth-shattering!

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

  17. #137
    I don't like logic and I argue like an asshole. BRP 2.0
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    3,136
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

    pretty sure that's what this entire thread is about.. so... yes..?

    crawl back to the wiki or some shit, jesus you're obnoxious

  18. #138
    i should really shut up
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    3,413
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Asura

    Quote Originally Posted by D44kpunk View Post
    pretty sure that's what this entire thread is about.. so... yes..?

    crawl back to the wiki or some shit, jesus you're obnoxious
    "Semantics"

    "NEXT!"

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

  19. #139
    Old Merits
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,237
    BG Level
    6

    Quote Originally Posted by D44kpunk View Post
    yeah, in my opinion current xi is trash because the only content added to it in the last 4 years was a reskinned version of dynamis, everything is just time gated in a stupid way. QOL changes are just slight things that save time and nothing major, for example limit breaks used to be something challenging and teach the player a lot about the game, now they are just wildly inconvenient and unnecessary, you can fucking summon trusts to fight maat.. lol.. but i can still respect other opinions and hear arguments for why the game is good now. "i'm having fun" is a pretty shit reason, but you do you. i don't think you're capable of seeing other reasons for why the game was better in the 75 era though but it really just comes down to a mental capacity thing. being able to hear and have arguments is a skill set BG posters generally don't possess.

    also i doubt you remember me, you probably just googled or went through my post history. if you do remember me, you need to get some other things in your brain my dude

    i never personally mpk'd anyone, i did yes find it hilarious though. other than that botting is more prevalent in current day ffxi than it ever has been. 99% of the playerbase bots or benefits from botting and things like react are borderline cheating anyways. blizzard bans for systems like react in their games, if SE gave two shits they would too.
    And what was the major content of 75? Sky, Kings and Dynamis was the entire RotZ endgame, sea and Limbus was the entire CoP endgame (and everyone FUCKING HATED SEA), ToAU had salvage and new 3 kings. WotG came out almost 4 years after NA launch, so let's track back 4 years of current XI:

    Sinister Reign, Escha Zitah, Escha sky, Reisenjima, Omen, Dyna-D, HTBF's, Master Trials, Ambuscade

    So Classic XI had 7 aspects to an "endgame" and retail has...9? 7 if you want to count all 3 Escha zones together, but they're each fully fleshed out zones a la sea or sky, IMO. Not to mention there's vastly more variety there when you count HTBF's and Ambuscade.

    I can agree with you about some aspects of the development. SE tried to scrap this game for XIV (hence Abyssea), then used it to keep afloat during XIV's failure (Adoulin) but all signs point to them coming to terms with the game and what it means to players and working to keep that going.

    Also, I 100% remember you from the 75 days, we used to talk all the time, in a friendly not-so-friendly way. And I am 100% confident you remember me, I'll give you two hints, I had a Mandau, and I hated botters. So I'm curious to know if you're going to play dumb, or retract your statement about needing to get other things on my brain =P

    Botting is more open in current XI, and thus has becoming far more common. It was to be kept secret back in the day, as you had a reputation to uphold. And you personally spent much of the late 75-era doing everything you could to remove the concept of reputation from the server and gave absolutely no fucks about that method of self-policing the community did in that regard. So I find it ironic you now admonish the game for its massive botting when your mindset is what won out and let to the current state of the game. The immature children of Zenmetsu is who won the culture wars of the game as the adults started living their lives and quitting, and that's much of the current era of randoms in XI.

    Also to mention...immature idiots that won that war also keeps people from wanting to come back and stick around. The toxic concept of gil buying and mercing everything in XI because you're all out for yourselves and not working together as a team that is the current state of Asura is the very community that YOU fight for in a game. And we've had discussions of this topic many a time, I am certain.

  20. #140
    i should really shut up
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    3,413
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Asura

    Forgot Vagary and Aeonic weapons as well.

    Not to mention that there are more optional fillers now than then. Such as coalitions for an Ergon or all of the quests in "Aldoulin" for a +1 ring.

    Most with a sense of maturity and responsibilities, aka a life. Would likely appreciate the more lax way retail is now. Perhaps even the mere fact the game still is available to play after all these years. Despite the whining about "life support".

    Then again the ones that don't, tend to fall into the vocal crowd of less desirables. You know, the ones that enjoyed social barriers or massive time sinks to the best gear. Feeding their false sense of virtual superiority.
    Going hand in glove with the LS drama which ensued over the system they tend to get off on.

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 39 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

  • Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag

Similar Threads

  1. what time is maintence for ffxi
    By Freazer in forum FFXI: Everything
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 2009-07-20, 11:13
  2. Best graphics card for FFXI?
    By Vinsent in forum FFXI: Everything
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 2006-07-12, 18:04
  3. Time for another AV thread?
    By Rex in forum FFXI: Everything
    Replies: 110
    Last Post: 2006-03-08, 00:13
  4. UDP/TCP or Port number for FFXI
    By Shinobi in forum FFXI: Everything
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 2006-02-03, 02:20
  5. About damn time for titan.... 56k grab a beer
    By Raddick in forum FFXI: Everything
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 2005-11-09, 20:42
  6. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 2005-08-08, 22:06
  7. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 2004-09-17, 14:51