Thread: Time for FFXI "Classic"?     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sean Kipling
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr

Quote Originally Posted by Byrthnoth View Post
    Iirc all WotG content was balanced for 75 cap, though?

Anyway, this thread going on for so long has convinced me that there are more people who care about FFXI than I thought, so maybe a classic mode would at least get subscribers for a month.
    To be fair, most of the people probably still interested in FFXI classic have likely long forgotten about this website as well.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

LoH spends 4 pages continuously saying he knows who I am then shifts to the other foot and says no one knows who I am.

And no the only reason people know you 3 is because you shit up ffxiah, asura yell and ffxis subreddit with the same thing you're now shitting BG up with. You haven't done anything memorable, sorry.

Also Kipling basically saying what I said a while ago, BG isn't the target market for ffxi classic anymore. Why would anyone interested in the 75 version still post here unless it's for ycs sports or spam and even then.. eh

S N K
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Kipling View Post
    Honestly reading this thread had taken me back to the yester years when I used to spend hours reading back and forths like this while camping HNMs.
    Fucking this. I haven't been this entertained here in a god damn long time.

Edit: Remember when we had player warning threads here?

FFXiAh used to have them also but then some of the mods there started a rule where you can't call people out for doing shitty things. Never understood why they started caring about that crap all of a sudden. I think someone mentioned there being ADs on the site now and they didn't want to offend them or some shit.

Also even tho my join date is 2006, I started on December of 2003. For those of you if you still have your original character, you can goto the PoL site and under your account you can see when you 1st registered.

i should really shut up
    You can safely ignore me I am a troll

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by D44kpunk View Post
    LoH spends 4 pages continuously saying he knows who I am then shifts to the other foot and says no one knows who I am.

And no the only reason people know you 3 is because you shit up ffxiah, asura yell and ffxis subreddit with the same thing you're now shitting BG up with. You haven't done anything memorable, sorry.

Also Kipling basically saying what I said a while ago, BG isn't the target market for ffxi classic anymore. Why would anyone interested in the 75 version still post here unless it's for ycs sports or spam and even then.. eh
    Well that is LoH, lol, what do you expect? It isn't like you don't pull similar sort of funny [not] business either.

You cant just call it an echo chamber, decry the majority, and then make up that people interested in it wouldn't post here.
    Why would you even want to post about it here then?
    If your target audience for validation are the Pchans or Kuroganashis of the world. In order to gain some validation then power to you, you need it. I mean those posters in r/ffxi are of a supreme quality and they bring it up there too.
    It is unlikely your time in the 75 endgame ever consisted of consorting with that actual target audience.

Also, to shift gears, WotG wasn't even finished until 90 cap.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kanriel View Post
    As for Silenka's post:

What endgame are you soloing now? You aren't progressing solo through any of the Escha zones, or Omen, or Dyna-D. There's more content available to solo, sure, but you need to team up to clear almost all content outside of some personal challenges for people after they have acquired all the gear.

Also, Abyssea didn't "ruin" FFXI. FFXI died through the whole WotG expansion. People started getting bored around late ToAU and moving on, and the two year slog of WotG did nothing to fix things. Abyssea was a "goodbye" to FFXI, since SE moved on to XIV and planned for all of XI to move along with it. I don't really think it's accurate to say Abyssea ruined things, people naturally was bored, and Aby tried to change things up. And I think it did a good enough job at that, even though it clearly had its drawbacks.
    The endgame I was referring to was not current XI endgame but the ones I was familiar with before I quit, Sky through Einherjar.

I quit actually right after Abyssea came out to go to college so my memories of what happened in WotG after Abyssea started are nonexistent. I do remember WotG taking way too fucking long to finish and was sad I wouldn't be able to play the rest of the story. I did play for a little while during Abyssea and hated it, figured it was a great time to leave. I stand by my statement that Abyssea is trash.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

So because I personally know who you are, that discredits the statement that the community at large doesn't know who you are?

i should really shut up
    You can safely ignore me I am a troll

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

So because I personally know who you are, that discredits the statement that the community at large doesn't know who you are?
    That is all he tries to do.

Just like he argues a stagnant 75 era server would have more players than retail. It isn't anything but their partial half-witted pettiness.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

This is going to derail quickly if BG staff is going to just let these two shit sling without adding anything to the conversation.

Again if you have nothing to add, please exit. You're both nobodies so your slights against me mean nothing (am I doing this right?)

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

i never got anyone to send you a message, nor did i send you a message. considering how you are i'm guessing it was just someone else who doesn't care much for you.

there are plenty of bad games posted on this forum, the fact that you keep coming back here to shit on a private server of a game you still play is bizarre and you should just stop.

"bg is ded lul" then stop posting here, nothing of value would be lost
    this is what you said, that's not what i said at all. i have no idea why you're still allowed to post anywhere that you post, if it's a troll it's not even a good one. people can only assume you're just a little guy with a ton of hatred.

by the way draylo, current ffxi is absolute trash, everyone knows it. i'm sure you're just waiting with bated breath for the new ambuscade monsters to be announced, no new content in 2 years and the last thing was dynamis reskinned. i wanted to make that point before telling you that you hating on the 75 version of the game and saying that private servers are "unbalanced" "buggy as hell" "nothing like the old days" "people dual boxing" isn't the same as administration being corrupt or an idiot.

stop derailing, go back to crying on ffxiah or the official forums
    So full of rage! Take your own advice, lol.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

A lot of valid points being made. I guess I just approached the potential for a FFXI classic with a different mindset. And I know there are private servers, I tried them a long time ago but none of them were fully functional and it just inherently lacked the "massively multiplayer" aspect of what made MMOs special. A lot of people have noted being older and having no time at all for long gaming sessions as An Adult. I'm absolutely in that boat as well. Two hours of gaming on my Switch is about all I'm able to muster every few days. Nevertheless, I wouldn't approach a FFXI Classic with the goal: "must get to level 75 as fast as possible". That would be part of the attraction to for myself is that we already know the mechanics and endgame so leveling up and grinding would not be my emphasis because I've already finished the game. This time around I could enjoy the game more at my own pace with friends.

The other interest for me would be seeing how things might shake out differently with communal things like the economy, farming, and partying. It would be like being able to go back to being 10 years old but with all the knowledge of being the 50 year old that you all have now become. How would partying trends change now with all the knowledge of stats and game mechanics people have access to in a base-game setting? What would become highly priced gear or items when you don't even have Zilart areas to farm from? Granted I only began playing the game during the release of Promathia, so I can't even imagine the dynamics of the game before that but it's fun to think of the differences and the nostalgia we could have with old friends. Base-game vanilla FFXI would definitely be a different MMO experience than most Western players had but whether or not that might be a good thing is debatable.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

How would party dynamics change? They wouldn't, because without balance changes, the busted shit of the past would still exist. Arrowburn only, bard only, nin tank only. No fucking thanks.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

When 6souls posted the ffxiah database link there was 90,127 active characters, today there are 88,189.

You can smell the decay as those free month mules fall off the AH, smells amazing.

Absolute Messenger of Promathia
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Bruh, just move on with your life. Why are you so fixated on the game dying? Its not healthy.

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Karbuncle View Post
    Bruh, just move on with your life. Why are you so fixated on the game dying? Its not healthy.
    You realize the exact same sentiment can be extended to posts like this right? And for every person who comes in here to say that they wouldn’t play a FFXI classic. That’s great. Thanks for sharing.

Well, we were asked if it was time. People have said no, and for reasons some don't enjoy. Basically we've got one dude who's really salty we don't like what he does.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by Karbuncle View Post
    I don't think fixation could be defined as me clicking 6souls link and observing the number a week ago, and then observing the number again today. Both events combined probably took 10-12 seconds of my life. Fixation. Lol.

There are people other than myself who think ffxi classic is better than what we have currently. Some of those people have even posted in this thread. I've given all my reasons multiple times no real need to re hash them. It is worth noting again though that the same people post in these types of threads non stop defending SE and current day ffxi, that's fixation. Also go read arus' post in the wow thread for some lulz. Or visit the ffxi subreddit until you see a post from "eaglestrike" and check out his post history. Meander on over to asura yell and wait for spicy to log on and afk in aloduin and shit it up. If you want to see fixation look in the mirror

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

You realize the exact same sentiment can be extended to posts like this right? And for every person who comes in here to say that they wouldn’t play a FFXI classic. That’s great. Thanks for sharing.
    You realize the exact same sentiment can be extended to posts like yours. You'd play it. Super. Hope SE grants your wish sometime this century.

A discussion isn't a circle-jerk one way or the other. People are free to agree with the original post or disagree. You aren't saying anything of note with your post, either.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

There are people other than myself who think ffxi classic is better than what we have currently.
    And roughly 100% of those people have rose colored glasses about the past AND don't know the current game. You repeatedly claimed Omen was super old, it's less than 3 years old. You actually said it was 5 years old, which is almost as old as Adoulin and ilvl entirely, when Adoulin had its own fairly significant amount of endgame progression. And every time we delve into details you pick up a couple lines, refute that, and act like you've won the argument, even if you didn't do a good job refuting it.

On the overall, current XI has everything 75 XI did. The biggest shift is that the timesinks of the 75 era was largely getting to endgame, whereas the timesink of current XI is at endgame.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sean Kipling
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr

And roughly 100% of those people have rose colored glasses about the past AND don't know the current game.
    "You think you do but you don't" is what blizzard said when people asked for Classic WoW too. Yet, here we are.

On the overall, current XI has everything retail XI did. The biggest shift is that the timesinks of the 75 era was largely getting to endgame, whereas the timesink of current XI is at endgame.
    I doubt that. Many of the 75 era veterans won't touch retail because it is markedly different, and basically an entirely different game. That's good or bad depending on who you are. For me it's bad, the game basically feels like it was drained of everything that it used to be but for some, like yourself, you still enjoy it. That's subjective, but arguing that it is the same is pretty ridiculous. FFXI at 75 and 99 are very different.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kipling View Post
    "You think you do but you don't" is what blizzard said when people asked for Classic WoW too. Yet, here we are.

I doubt that. Many of the 75 era veterans won't touch retail because it is markedly different, and basically an entirely different game. That's good or bad depending on who you are. For me it's bad, the game basically feels like it was drained of everything that it used to be but for some, like yourself, you still enjoy it. That's subjective, but arguing that it is the same is pretty ridiculous. FFXI at 75 and 99 are very different.
    And as said about WoW classic in the thread, it's too early to know if that's actually what people want.

What is it about current XI you feel doesn't exist that 75 XI had?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 68 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 59 ... LastLast