+ Reply to Thread
Page 60 of 68 FirstFirst ... 10 50 58 59 60 61 62 ... LastLast

Thread: Time for FFXI "Classic"?     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by S N K View Post
    Fuck thatsalvage and fuck anyone who thought that shit was enjoyable.
    FTFY

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Salvage was better when they added the crates and you werent forced to using multiple mnks cause no weapons or carry 50 potions cause no magic.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sean Kipling
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr

In potentially good news, Eden should be back up in the next few days if anyone was interested in joining a classic 75 era server that's pretty good IMO.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sean Kipling
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr

Eden is back up now. The website is down for the time being, but you can still download and join from the discord: https://discordapp.com/invite/uKgpypT

This wiki page explains more about the server: https://classicffxi.fandom.com/wiki/...FFXI_community

I'd love some FFXI classic, but I've scratched that itch by joining the Supernova private server. We organise all the good stuff (Dyna, sky/sea, HNM, missions) but most of the boring stuff (farming, excessive travel) is gone. And it's 75 era.

If FFXI classic launched for real, I'd jump on it probably. It could be something.

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Enedin View Post
    I'd love some FFXI classic, but I've scratched that itch by joining the Supernova private server. We organise all the good stuff (Dyna, sky/sea, HNM, missions) but most of the boring stuff (farming, excessive travel) is gone. And it's 75 era.

If FFXI classic launched for real, I'd jump on it probably. It could be something.
    Seconding. Loving my time on this server.

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

That boring stuff is what made the 75 era, the very slow crawl to level 75. Isn't that what all the classic thumpers were moaning about with Abyssea making it too easy?

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Draylo View Post
    That boring stuff is what made the 75 era, the very slow crawl to level 75. Isn't that what all the classic thumpers were moaning about with Abyssea making it too easy?
    Didn't know the crawl to 75 was integral to zero-sum competition for intensively rare drops at Kings.

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

I had two favorite wow vanilla private servers. One was nostralius and all of its names, the true vanilla code, and the other was an instant level cap + gear professions maxed etc so you could jump right into content.

Both had their value. A game like ffxi requiring grouping and killing crabs for 2 years to get to cap I'd need altered. Wow at least is a solo grind.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

I have the same problem with NFL games and the avengers movies. Why are they 3 hours long?

They need to remake them to be 2 hours max so that it fits my schedule

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Boyiee View Post
    I had two favorite wow vanilla private servers. One was nostralius and all of its names, the true vanilla code, and the other was an instant level cap + gear professions maxed etc so you could jump right into content.

Both had their value. A game like ffxi requiring grouping and killing crabs for 2 years to get to cap I'd need altered. Wow at least is a solo grind.
    I'm probably in the minority here but I find current leveling for retail XI too fast. I enjoy the progression and what not. Just my opinion, but if a person really wanted to they could do 1-99 solo exp naked with just a weapon (which doesn't need to constantly be the latest and greatest) and still cap in a few days.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    I'm probably in the minority here but I find current leveling for retail XI too fast. I enjoy the progression and what not. Just my opinion, but if a person really wanted to they could do 1-99 solo exp naked with just a weapon (which doesn't need to constantly be the latest and greatest) and still cap in a few days.
    I'd say it balances out if you go do the other stuff you're meant to have done as part of overall progress - missions, AF and WS quests, and so on. XI has just never really integrated XP with quest/missions as WoW and post-WoW games have. On top of that, there's all the further progress to make once you do hit 99. Most of us, even if we took it slow on a new account/character, still would end up being very efficient compared to how we played back in the day.

That said, the slow crawl up and other pacing aspects were part of what made classic XI what it was. The time investment lent more of it perceived value. The general need for teamwork as well - you just aren't going to have the experience of working through a mission series over the course of days or weeks with an LS group now (or similar things). Unless you really, really go out of your way to do it that way.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sean Kipling
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr

How many people play on Supernova? I was a bit turned off by the idea of it being a single linkshell that you can't unequip according to the website and it seemed like they had a lot of custom rules about how to exp that seemed strange to me. It seemed more like you were joining a linkshell than a private server.

Edit: Genuinely curious by the way, not trying to throw shade. All the QOL sounds good cause I got kids I just have a hard time finding the right balance between era and too custom.

Quote Originally Posted by Kipling View Post
    How many people play on Supernova? I was a bit turned off by the idea of it being a single linkshell that you can't unequip according to the website and it seemed like they had a lot of custom rules about how to exp that seemed strange to me. It seemed more like you were joining a linkshell than a private server.

Edit: Genuinely curious by the way, not trying to throw shade. All the QOL sounds good cause I got kids I just have a hard time finding the right balance between era and too custom.
    I've replied to your questions in our Discord.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan
    WoW Realm
    Madoran

For those interested/wondering there are a lot of private servers with all kinds of different setups.

- Sub-Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/FFXIPrivateServers/
    - Discord: https://discord.gg/msACzWV

Shallow and Pedantic
    BG Level

There is a server that delevels you to 1 if you die?

That is absolutely the worst idea I have ever seen in a game lol

Eh, it's the same as a Hardcore concept you see in other games, but it's also something I tacitly avoid given the internet is what it is and such games are very rarely free of bugs or adequate balance. XI is very much a victim of the latter.

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

Isn't that like the Pokemon challenge? Nuzlocke or whatever

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sean Kipling
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr

Posting this screenshot because I feel like Gred and other HNM enthusiasts might enjoy it. This is from the other night when Eden came back online, lol.

Spoiler: show

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

The fact it's not being held by someone already is disturbing.

But again, my biggest concern with Eden seems to be that the purity of the game isn't intact with the attitude towards policing abuse.