Page 8 of 68 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 58 ... LastLast

Thread: Time for FFXI "Classic"?     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

And what was the major content of 75? Sky, Kings and Dynamis was the entire RotZ endgame, sea and Limbus was the entire CoP endgame (and everyone FUCKING HATED SEA), ToAU had salvage and new 3 kings. WotG came out almost 4 years after NA launch, so let's track back 4 years of current XI:

Sinister Reign, Escha Zitah, Escha sky, Reisenjima, Omen, Dyna-D, HTBF's, Master Trials, Ambuscade

So Classic XI had 7 aspects to an "endgame" and retail has...9? 7 if you want to count all 3 Escha zones together, but they're each fully fleshed out zones a la sea or sky, IMO. Not to mention there's vastly more variety there when you count HTBF's and Ambuscade.
    Let's break down this part of your post, shall we? I'll try to keep it short as no one really wants to read novels of your feelings like you & arus keep producing.

SR: I don't think anyone does this content anymore, I'm fairly sure all of it has been upstaged by other pieces. Also 1 battlefield, might even be soloable now.
    Escha: It's quite funny that you're breaking this into 3 different things but so be it.
    Escha-zitah: for starters this is entirely soloable, with 1 character and trusts. I'm sure your argument coming back to me will be that RDM could solo things in the retail version, but not any of the things you listed and not to this caliber. also a completely reskinned zone(zitah).
    Escha-ru'aun: soloable except for 5-6 NMs. skinned zone.
    Reisenjima: new zone! nice! the majority of it is soloable except for t4 and some t3.
    Omen: sure, yeah this is still relevant content. about 5? years old by now, but people still do it.
    Dynamis-D: yep, the newest content. reskinned dynamis.
    HTBFs: 1 battlefield with a gimmicky mechanic relying on merit points as entry. re-used zones. most are completely irrelevant only the "new" ones they've been adding drop something worthwhile.
    Master trials: no one does these
    Ambuscade: depends on the month but these are generally extremely low skill and soloable. last months you could literally afk on a rdm with lvl 1 daggers to win the fight on the toughest difficulty. also 1 battlefield.

@spicy aeonics: adding a reward to existing content, you're so silly
    vargary: people do this once for the clear or they do it for gil, that's like saying farming gobbues or doing missions is endgame content, you live in an odd reality.

It's also worth noting that none of these mobs outside of the ones in reisenjima had new sprites or abilities afaik. it's all re-used. it's also worth noting that out of all the stuff you listed, there is 1 new zone and 1 new battlefield. the rest is re-used/reskinned.

Let's look at 75 era, this post is already longer than I want it to be:

sky: 2 brand new zones, a lot of this stuff was soloable towards the end but never was all of it completely.
    sea: 4 brand new zones, same thing as sky on difficulty. no idea what you're talking about everyone hating it, i personally enjoyed sea.
    dynamis: besides the original ones you also had CoP dynamises, everything related to this was more difficult than current dynamis content.
    kings: these were everywhere, new zones for each.
    limbus: fun quick content imo.
    salvage: same thing, fun quick content with an interesting idea behind it.
    toau kings: you get it, new zone, new NMs.

there are some things you're forgetting though so here's what i'll do..

1. in the 75 era of ffxi leveling was actually a challenge, obviously this is not endgame but it made the game more dynamic and gave you meaningful progression to help you at endgame. in current ffxi you can get everything to 99 in a day, easily. in modern ffxi it took weeks-months to get 1 job to 75. leveling is not rewarding in current ffxi.
    2. ENMs
    3. KS99
    4. Ouryu and things related to it?
    5. Nyzul
    6. Assault
    7. Einherjar

it's worth noting that all of these areas brought to us new sprites, new mob abilities, etc.

To the rest of your post, I don't care who you are, I have no idea who you are. i'm glad you thought i was an immature child 15 years ago and have kept some grudge like an insane ex girlfriend(are you an insane ex girlfriend??). maybe you still think i'm an immature child now.

to re-iterate for the 100th time since the current ffxi players keep coming out of the woodwork to try and dispute me and for some reason think i'm shitting on their life for no reason.. the game could still be great but SE has neutered it. hopefully they will actually give it some staff but i think it's unlikely. i'm vested in seeing FFXI make a turn around and i hope it does

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sean Kipling
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr

Also to the argument I saw earlier that FFXI classic might not be needed because private servers exist: A lot of the older players are not playing FFXI classic simply because it is on private servers only right now. Anyone who is aware of private servers all know that private servers come with their own set of of politics and uncertainties. An official client removes all that discomfort over those issues.

Duplicitous Jew with Political Aspirations
    BG Level

75 cap was garbage.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Absolute Messenger of Promathia
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by D44kpunk View Post
    Your standards for "Endgame" somehow disqualifying (Or "Lessening?") content that can be "Solo'd", I'm dying, its like watching a debate student forced to defend Flat-Earthers just reaching as hard as he can for anything to validate it. By your criteria poor Avesta De-qualified a lot of the 75 Era content RIP, that damned Taru RDM.

Anyway, thanks for the nostalgia, its like Thorny is here all over again.

And PS - I'm not against FFXI classic existing, I personally just think it'd fail.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

All tarus are trash.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by Karbuncle View Post
    Your standards for "Endgame" somehow disqualifying (Or "Lessening?") content that can be "Solo'd", I'm dying, its like watching a debate student forced to defend Flat-Earthers just reaching as hard as he can for anything to validate it. By your criteria poor Avesta De-qualified a lot of the 75 Era content RIP, that damned Taru RDM.

Anyway, thanks for the nostalgia, its like Thorny is here all over again.

And PS - I'm not against FFXI classic existing, I personally just think it'd fail.
    Name an MMO where soloable content is endgame. I'll wait

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Name an MMO where soloable content is endgame. I'll wait
    Final Fantasy XI.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

I rue the day you were born.

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

Damn you just don't give up, remember you told me to stop posting in that trash p server thread? You should stop, you're embarrassing yourself.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

there's a difference between you saying "this private server is trash" for 6 posts in a row, being made look a fool, and me engaging in discussion between other posters.

also a mod told you to stop as well. just get back to afk'ing with spicy, your insecurity is showing

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Having not read any of the (apparently contentious) posts for the past few pages...

I actually did go back to XI a couple years ago when Rhapsodies came out to experience SoA and Rhapsodies, and also so my bf could play the game before it disappears. We convinced an old friend to come back as well and we all made new characters, played through all the story and messed around with trusts and all that. It doesn't take a retarded amount of time to do things anymore with Trusts but it's really not the same as the heyday. I remember playing XI endgame like it was a second job, if I wasn't at my actual job I was doing linkshell events which I loved...and are all soloable now. I didn't expect it to be the same as it used to be but it was still kind of shocking to see the state of Dynamis and other endgame content now. The game is much more in line with modern casual MMOs nowadays. I don't really care for current XI enough to play it constantly but I am loving how the dev team is keeping it alive with "new" (repurposed) content and things that should have been in the game long ago like alternate mounts and glamour system.

Still, if they came out with a XI "classic" I would try it, as long as it was decently populated and gave me a shot at doing old endgame content again.

I've never enjoyed endgame in any game more that XI and I probably never will. It was the perfect storm of needing to rely on others and being rewarded for your time with items that would last a long time/forever. The sheer coordination required to book a time for dynamis on a calendar shared by the server, pool funds to buy an hourglass, get everyone there on time, make alliances with appropriate jobs, have a plan for saccing or sleeping mobs or w/e that everyone was on board with, and actually doing the thing...it's so monumental but it was just what we had to do back then. Nowadays people can't even keep 8 man statics meeting regularly twice a week to clear a fight that doesn't even take half as long lol.

I also tried playing on a private server for a bit. I think it was base+expansions up to Abyssea but idr because I only played for like 2 days in completely empty zones before I was like "fuck this" lmao. I might be able to handle the game if it were populated, but not on a ghost server.

So yeah I'd try XI classic, just keep it 75 cap and don't add Abyssea. Retune SoA and Rhapsodies for 75. I'd be fine with new content as long as it was in line with old content and not anything like Abyssea. Abyssea ruined FFXI

i should really shut up
    You can safely ignore me I am a troll

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Draylo View Post
    Damn you just don't give up, remember you told me to stop posting in that trash p server thread? You should stop, you're embarrassing yourself.
    And here I was lead to believe that I was just the retard embarrassing themselves for being more objective and reasonable about something rather simple.

I might just read Punk's last reply yet.

Punk is like the Chris Rock of opinions.
    "M~A~A~A~N, you evah seen how bad the FFXI retail is??! The fukin' F--F--X--I-- Reta~il~!!"

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Add something to the conversation or exit it.

I'm not the only one who thinks things used to be better. View any of the other opinions in this thread. You're a minority, sorry.

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Add something to the conversation or exit it.

I'm not the only one who thinks things used to be better. View any of the other opinions in this thread. You're a minority, sorry.
    Yet here you recently got through whining about how the majority didn't agree with you and this was just some echo chamber.

Then when I directly responded to your post with on topic discussion. You decried it off topic and said "next".

Could you put yourself in your own place for a change instead of asking others to? Not that you would seemingly find a bit of perspective in humility. We aren't here to babysit and discipline you.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

The next thing is a pretty well known meme. I never once implied I was in a minority in the grand scheme, I actually said the opposite.. several times.. a minority on BG sure. It's a dead forum dedicated to a dead game.

Rest of your post isn't worth responding to. Spicyryan, draylo and apparently ladyofhonor/eaglestrike. Hard to find 3 people even more poorly regarded than myself but apparently that is the brigade I've been dealing with the last few pages

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Really couldn't have WotG for a 75 "classic" server because the expansion didn't end until the 90 cap was released. The era of 75 ended June 22nd, 2010.

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

The next thing is a pretty well known meme. I never once implied I was in a minority in the grand scheme, I actually said the opposite.. several times.. a minority on BG sure. It's a dead forum dedicated to a dead game.

Rest of your post isn't worth responding to. Spicyryan, draylo and apparently ladyofhonor/eaglestrike. Hard to find 3 people even more poorly regarded than myself but apparently that is the brigade I've been dealing with the last few pages
    As much as I don't particularly associate with Draylo or especially Ladyoflolzydualboxing, I'd seriously stand besides them before I did yourself.

Are memes the standard now? If so that makes a lot of sense.

As far as the last few pages. That depends on how you much wish to ignore yourself.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

I actually don't know too many people that shit on Draylo. And the only reason Spicy and I get more flak is because people seem to know who we are for whatever reason, meanwhile nobody knows who you are. Personally I find it hilarious everyone seems to hate me. I actually think there was good reason to hate me in the 75 days, but most people who seem to bag on me now I don't have a clue who they are, and I stay in my own little group of players, so most of those people have never done a single thing with me.

As for Silenka's post:

What endgame are you soloing now? You aren't progressing solo through any of the Escha zones, or Omen, or Dyna-D. There's more content available to solo, sure, but you need to team up to clear almost all content outside of some personal challenges for people after they have acquired all the gear.

Also, Abyssea didn't "ruin" FFXI. FFXI died through the whole WotG expansion. People started getting bored around late ToAU and moving on, and the two year slog of WotG did nothing to fix things. Abyssea was a "goodbye" to FFXI, since SE moved on to XIV and planned for all of XI to move along with it. I don't really think it's accurate to say Abyssea ruined things, people naturally was bored, and Aby tried to change things up. And I think it did a good enough job at that, even though it clearly had its drawbacks.

And going back to Daak's breakdown of endgame: The whole thing is absurd. Show me yourself soloing all of Zitah with trusts, which I do believe is perfectly possible, but it's not a super easy task (looking at you faeries and wrathare). And then show me you doing it for all but 6 in Ru'aun. Meanwhile you're going to claim Sky was some bastion of endgame when there was a grand total of 13 bosses in the whole zone, with all of the intro 8 easier than tier 3 of Zitah. And Suzaku was maybe on t3 of Zitah level. Sky was only so difficult (like quite a bit of 75 mechanics) because we didn't know how to play the game and exploit mechanics back then. And because level correction sucked and is a shit mechanic.

Also your timescale is totally off. 5 years ago was 2014...Adoulin was still new. I literally mentioned I had 4 (and 1 month) years of content in the endgame breakdown (from RotZ to WotG release) and Sinister Reign was August of 2015. Omen came out in December of 2016, Ou wasn't until March 2017.

And leveling was not a "challenge" in 75 days. It was a tedious timesink of a slog. You leveled 200 EXP at a time for 40k exp a level so you can level up and...get slightly less EXP per kill with almost no noticeable strength increase. That's not content, and far worse than having to repeat endgame content where you get to play your job at max potential.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 6souls View Post
    Really couldn't have WotG for a 75 "classic" server because the expansion didn't end until the 90 cap was released. The era of 75 ended June 22nd, 2010.
    Iirc all WotG content was balanced for 75 cap, though?

Anyway, this thread going on for so long has convinced me that there are more people who care about FFXI than I thought, so maybe a classic mode would at least get subscribers for a month.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Byrthnoth View Post
    Iirc all WotG content was balanced for 75 cap, though?
    Could be. I went back and looked up what data could find on the final battle, wiki's & forum, and it looks like I trio'd at 85. There were others at the time having trouble at 90 cap.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 68 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 58 ... LastLast