+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 68 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 56 ... LastLast

Thread: Time for FFXI "Classic"?     submit to reddit submit to twitter

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by D44kpunk View Post
    5% of the population still plays compared to 2007 as drawn out by the numbers established in this thread and many other places. it's safe to assume the other 95% have moved on, maybe we can be generous and assumed that 10-15% of them died or swore off video games in a new years resolution and if that wasn't the case they would still be ffxi'ing it up daily. therefore i'll retract my number and say 85% of the people who have played this game think the current iteration is G A R B A G E.
    That's a pretty, uh, bold conclusion to draw from that. Every MMO sees major drops in subscriptions over time. They aren't something that people continue playing until the heat death of the universe barring a major life change or adjustment to content that they simply can't abide. Games in general tend to have a spike in popularity then decline, even the classics. Players have their fun, then move on. Retaining a relatively stable population after so long actually speaks pretty well for FFXI as a whole. Changes over time are also pretty much a given. The vast majority of people that have played FFXI over its lifespan likely have zero opinion on the current version because they stopped paying attention to the game years ago. Interest in 75 cap servers might be partly driven by folks that just don't know jack or shit about anything beyond that, because it's all they ever touched, even if they'd actually really like the subsequent decade or so of content.

Plenty of aspects are different now, but it's not a clear-cut better or worse. There's just a lot less room for that years-on-end sort of investment and reward systems that worked back when the game was relatively new. Instead, we have generally more demanding gameplay, but far faster progression to adapt and gear up to it. That sort of iteration keeps the game engaging for long-term players in ways that running the same events the same way for years doesn't.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

i'm still really confused where this notion that people ran the same event for years but don't now is coming from. between 2003-2007 you had RoZ, CoP, ToAU and WoTG. between 2008 and 2019 you have had SoA.

for the last 5 years you've done omen, dynamis-d, aeonic clears(?) and ambuscade.

there is not more content for endgame users, having old content in the game still IS NOT CONTENT FOR ENDGAME USERS. you are doing the same events for an even longer period of time, and on top of that you're doing reskinned versions of shit from 2005.

you game is abandoned. your game is on life support. you pay the same amount of money or more due to bad game design (wardrobes and alts/mules). SE has fucked you at every corner and you come back for more, at least have the balls to admit it and ask for change.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I dunno what you are even trying to argue at this point.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

i'm taking each argument as it comes, the most recent one was that in the 75 era of the game people just did the same event over and over for years on end. which is exactly what people do now but for even longer periods of time, more money and less innovative content.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

i'm still really confused where this notion that people ran the same event for years but don't now is coming from. between 2003-2007 you had RoZ, CoP, ToAU and WoTG. between 2008 and 2019 you have had SoA.
    Who said we aren't now? There are slight things now - month to month, Ambuscade rotates, so different setups might have use. We do have some new HTBs recently, etc.

However, in general, sure, things are pretty stagnant. Unlike back then, there aren't expansions on the horizon that might shake everything up...but then, what ever really did? That "variety" glosses over the fact that people never stopped grinding Sky because people gotta have Haidate, Crimson Cuisses, etc. Never stopped camping kings because of Abjuration bodies, D.Ring, Ridill, etc. So much of that era was defined by incredibly poor drop rates tied to massive time sinks. I think it took me 18 months or so to see a Duelist's Chapeau, for instance. The devs were always careful never to make that stuff obsolete, and a lot of the additions didn't match up. It took Abyssea to break it. Had the game stayed at that cap, that's stuff folks would still be doing. Same as on a Classic server.

Modern FFXI has a different scope, in that it gives individual players a lot more ability to work on things - few people attempted to make Relics or Mythics back in the day, and fewer finished them. At this point they're just another thing to work on. Running through content for those isn't "endgame", but it's something many players end up doing just the same that had little equivalent in 75 cap.
    Most of the events we spam give direct rewards to participants as well. Outside of things like Omen bodies, the modern event grind tends to be fairly reliable in actually finishing whatever it is people are working towards. There's the grind/expense of reforging/augmenting/etc to extend the time of it, but it's different from spending months to never see needed 25s drop in Salvage or not claim an HNM.

Continuing to play this (or really any) game for years and years and years is of course going to mean repetition. In some MMOs, it'd be making alts. In this, it's often building up additional jobs. That's a lot more fun when it doesn't take months or years just to get a key piece. Sort of the same as playing with different builds or strategies in other games.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Same problem now but with omen bodies. The gate has just moved, not changed. Saying otherwise is asinine and the more you argue this and don't refute my points the less sense it makes. There is still stupid low drop rates on tons of content that is time gated. Horrible example

You ragged on the 75 era for being the same for 4-5 years while casually forgetting things like salvage, sea, limbus, nyzul. And then turned around and sheepishly acknowledged the current iteration has the same faults. Not sure what you're saying.

Also the only reason relics and mythics are more obtainable now is because of wide spread botting. 90-95% of those currencies specifically in circulation are produced by bots. I guess you find browsing bazaars and the auction house and buying materials from a bot entertaining gameplay..?

I should reiterate, I hope SE can do something with ffxi in the coming years. I want the game to continue and be strong. But in it's current state it's shit and if you can't acknowledge that you never will. If you're unable to acknowledge it you're the type of person who tells your friends you're too busy to try another game as you log in to do omen and go 1/400 on asheras.

i should really shut up
    You can safely ignore me I am a troll

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

spicy, first of all i apologize that your brain has such a small mental capacity. not once in this thread have i typed the word "aldoulin" i have continuously said "4 years". aldoulin was launched almost 7 years ago now. maybe you're just having too much fun afking in aldoulin. there now i've typed it thrice.

5% of the population still plays compared to 2007 as drawn out by the numbers established in this thread and many other places. it's safe to assume the other 95% have moved on, maybe we can be generous and assumed that 10-15% of them died or swore off video games in a new years resolution and if that wasn't the case they would still be ffxi'ing it up daily. therefore i'll retract my number and say 85% of the people who have played this game think the current iteration is G A R B A G E.

also lets call out some fallacy, you started in 2009, not 2006-2007. you're posting about something you never even experienced.

i also like how you're saying i can't argue without belittling someone, as he's calling me a piece of shit. i mean if you're gonna sling shit why are you expecting it not to be slung right on back? grow up homie
    Woah there "homie", it be embarrassing if you compared my "small mental capacity" to yours. Especially after calling the date I started this game a "fallacy". Lol, how braindead are you? As if I would lie that I started playing in late June 2006.
    If you are going to lie that hard then just give up.

Not only are you willfully ignorant, but you crassly just state whatever suits your own logic. Could you, even be bothered to attempt to verify your made up numbers or read the update history page on the wiki?
    Vagary was still new content 4 years ago.
    Ffs, they hadn't even finished adding all the UNMs, completed RoV, or launched Aeonics 4 years ago.
    "Aldoulin" (wut..?) was launched 6.5 years ago, but hey why not round up?.

The only garbage in regards to the game are your posts. No one said you had to like it, but your opinions and posts on it are counterintuitive trash.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

This guy puts words in my mouth when I continually said 4 years and not SoA and then gets defensive when his ability to read is called out.

Unfortunately I know people who know you very well, you started in 2009. If you started in 2006 it was short lived. Your first 75 job was 2009, either way you're speaking about things you never experienced.

I also don't think you know what new content means

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

This guy puts words in my mouth when I continually said 4 years and not SoA and then gets defensive when his ability to read is called out.

Unfortunately I know people who know you very well, you started in 2009. If you started in 2006 it was short lived. Your first 75 job was 2009, either way you're speaking about things you never experienced.

I also don't think you know what new content means
    Your sources sound as if they might just be as informed as you are.
    Apparently anonymous third parties know more about I than even myself, super.

Now you are splitting hairs over new content, huh?
    You said repeatedly that in the past 4 years we only had reskinned Dyna, several times. I said 4 years ago Aeonics weren't even released.
    Do you even know what year it is? Knock it off.

Love "classic" all you want, but at least get your attempt at presenting grievance and numbers about current retail straight.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Modoru D'kkoru
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren

you joined in september 2011 your opinions are invalid filthy abyssea era player

huge fucking luls

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Imagine a world where adding a reward for killing existing mobs is classified as new content.

You continuously re earn your reputation as densest fucker on this forum

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Imagine a world where adding a reward for killing existing mobs is classified as new content.

You continuously re earn your reputation as densest fucker on this forum
    Ask your sources on that one?

Lol

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

What are you talking about? ask my sources about what? adding a reward for killing mobs that already existed is not new content..

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

What are you talking about? ask my sources about what? adding a reward for killing mobs that already existed is not new content..
    Yes, but do you even still play, bro? If current retail is " G A R B A G E" then I'd imagine you may have moved on.

If so, you've already established that if you didn't play during a time discussed. Then your opinion doesn't count.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 6souls View Post
    Years back they tasked Nexon to redevelop the game for the mobile platform and that has disappeared from any mention.
    I was corrected on Discord. Nexon included a mention of FFXI-Remake in their Q4 report back in February.

https://pdf.irpocket.com/C3659/drYi/y6kI/LC9S.pdf

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

I'm still very much involved with the game, I would wager I play more than you since all you do is sit in asura's yell. looking at your ffxiah it looks like you probably haven't even cleared wave 3 of dynamis-d. people are doing that with PUGs now.

i really wonder if you ever realize that you continuously make yourself look dumb. i stated you didn't have a 75 in the era we are talking about and you basically said "lol prove it". just spicyryan things, i'm not going to continue to back and forth with you over nothing

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I'm still very much involved with the game, I would wager I play more than you since all you do is sit in asura's yell. looking at your ffxiah it looks like you probably haven't even cleared wave 3 of dynamis-d. people are doing that with PUGs now.

you i really wonder if you ever realize that you continuously make yourself look dumb. i stated you didn't have a 75 in the era we are talking about and you basically said "lol prove it". just spicyryan things, i'm not going to continue to back and forth with you over nothing
    Your whole point has been nothing if not subjective with an attempt to shut out dissent. In place your own reality and feels are all you go for.

Then again for how much you whine retail is garbage, apparently you like that. Much like how you like your unsubstantiated claims, let alone numbers.

Also, did a long time ago. You must be such a badass on XI though. How can we compare? Bet I still don't even have a 75 yet either!

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

i've said several times that my main complaints are SEs staff decisions and lack of content. it could still be a great game if they hadn't neutered it. i play for reasons i don't think you'd understand but they remain largely unchanged. i don't play because i think it's the best MMO out there, i know that is insanely untrue.

you and others are the ones arguing from a subjective standpoint and accepting nothing less than every single person conforming to your view point on a purely opinionated matter. again you're making yourself look like a fucking retard.

me stating that i prefer the 75 era of the game to current ffxi is my opinion, one you are unable to accept because you don't possess the ability to.

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

i've said several times that my main complaints are SEs staff decisions and lack of content. it could still be a great game if they hadn't neutered it. i play for reasons i don't think you'd understand but they remain largely unchanged. i don't play because i think it's the best MMO out there, i know that is insanely untrue.

you and others are the ones arguing from a subjective standpoint and accepting nothing less than every single person conforming to your view point on a purely opinionated matter. again you're making yourself look like a fucking retard.

me stating that i prefer the 75 era of the game to current ffxi is my opinion, one you are unable to accept because you don't possess the ability to.
    Easy to criticize the staff. How much do you know about the internal affairs of SE? Who would you have suggested? What do you know about running a company, a videogame, etc?
    Life doesn't just live up to our opinions, so grow up, Mr "you wouldn't understand why I still play garbage retail".

Once again, what is the real 75 era?

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

I don't see how anything you're asking is even remotely relevant.

NEXT!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 68 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 56 ... LastLast