+ Reply to Thread

Thread: WiFi issues     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Fuck It, I'm Goin Deep Fan Club President
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

WiFi issues

So, got my new PC and plugged ethernet into the router. Now the WiFi is spotty and/or not even working for some devices (laptops/tablets/etc). My mom claims she was having issues yesterday morning and this morning when the cable wasn't even plugged into my PC. I also moved the router about 2 ft over and 1 ft up (from on top of their PC to ontop of the desk)

Router is a Cisco DPC3825

Any suggestion to fix the WiFi?

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

A few backend things to try would be:

*update software of wifi router, which may need to happen from the ISP if they gave it to you
    *make sure there arent big interference appliances like the fridge or thick walls
    *in line with thick walls, try connecting right next to it, check speed and move to different rooms to rinse/repeat. If its crapnin front and everywhere, it's the router. If it's good in front and spotty when you leave, you have interference.
    **if this is the router the ISP gave, it could be a bandwidth issue. Easy way to check is to unplug the comp and see if issues persists

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Looking at online reviews, seems like the router is kinda garbage anyway. Going to try moving it back to where it was to see how that goes because it seems like a 2nd ethernet connection shouldn't throttle/kill the wifi

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

If I'm bandwidth hogging on my hardlined PC the wifi will definitely suffer but that's a conscious move. If you aren't doing anything knowingly epic, the router is the prob

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Quote Originally Posted by DrClout View Post
    If I'm bandwidth hogging on my hardlined PC the wifi will definitely suffer but that's a conscious move. If you aren't doing anything knowingly epic, the router is the prob

The issues my mother is having, is when the ethernet isnt even plugged into my PC and my PC isnt even on...so yea, it would seem to be the router...

(again I'm terrible with this stuff)
    That model, Cisco DPC3825, thats just a router, not a modem/router combo? Could I go buy one at Best Buy or wherever and use that instead of the company supplied one?

You could, but you might have to call them and give them the MAC address unless you have the U/P to get on to it.

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Just to eliminate an all too frequent issue: The Wifi is secured? it's not an open WiFi that anyone can log into?

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Quote Originally Posted by Hellfury View Post
    Just to eliminate an all too frequent issue: The Wifi is secured? it's not an open WiFi that anyone can log into?
    Correct