+ Reply to Thread
    Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Wireless keyboard and mouse issue

I recently replaced a computer in our main conference room. Up until about a week ago, our wireless keyboard/mouse worked flawlessly. All of a sudden it seemed like it stopped working. The admin staff ordered a new one, and it too was having issues. I spent about an hour dicking around with it today. It's a logitech MK 520 wireless keyboard/mouse combo. I noticed that no matter how close I was to the computer, i'd get a lot of latency, and sometimes the whole pc would hang for seconds at a time. If I switched to a straight wired keyboard and mouse, everything runs smoothly.

I tried updating the firmware of the receiver, and that had a marginal improvement. Any idea why all of a sudden this would become an issue. Typically the keyboard/mouse is no more than 12 feet or so from the computer, and it boasts a 30+ foot range.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Niya Kouya
    FFXIV Server
    Odin

Those "up to X feet/meters" values are most of the time absolute bullshit, at least in your typical home/business environment that's already saturated with electromagnetic waves. From personal experience I try to keep the receiver as close to the device as possible, at work I used extension cables so it can rest on my desk with maybe 10-20cm between it and the m/kb.
    Why yours suddenly started to have issues is a bit weird. Did anything around the conference room change EM wise, like new/moved access points?

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    Those "up to X feet/meters" values are most of the time absolute bullshit, at least in your typical home/business environment that's already saturated with electromagnetic waves. From personal experience I try to keep the receiver as close to the device as possible, at work I used extension cables so it can rest on my desk with maybe 10-20cm between it and the m/kb.
    Why yours suddenly started to have issues is a bit weird. Did anything around the conference room change EM wise, like new/moved access points?
    Nope, only thing that changed was new chairs in the conference room that i've been made aware of. I may attempt re-imaging the computer as I noticed that sometimes the entire computer would seem to hang while using the keyboard/mouse, like the wireless receiver was having issues talking to the computer so to speak, since plugging in wired didn't cause the same issue. Was able to confirm that it seemed to be a system freeze/hang as the blinking text cursor would just sit solid.

Since you mentioned replacing the computer, did you by chance switch the dongle to USB 3? I remember reading that they get some sort of interference from USB 3 if they use 2400 MHz frequency.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

I'll double check the ports. Pretty sure the hub on the front panel was split on 2.0/3.0 and I tried both. I'll try one of the back ports to be sure.