+ Reply to Thread
    I like to eat food
    BG Level

Limit/Block App Mobile Data Usage

Any way to block an app from using mobile data on Android? The past two months my phone seems to randomly disconnect from Wifi while I'm streaming something and whatever it is I'm streaming continues to play, but the phone never reconnects to Wifi. I've used 3GB of data a couple days into the statement period the past two months from this.

I guess I can just turn off mobile data as a whole, but that's inconvenient when I go to use it for other stuff. Did a Google search, but it just comes up with results for turning off background app data usage.

Any ideas?

Hackey Thread Lurker since 2010
    I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

For Android, you can turn on data saver mode. Then select apps that will allow to override the mode.
    I do have Android 10 though so ymmv

I like to eat food
    BG Level

I'll try that, thanks. The little tooltip seems to suggest it's for background data, but I'll see what happens.

Hackey Thread Lurker since 2010
    I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

You are right that foreground apps will still consume data.

I guess you can try NetGuard or Mobiwol (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ewall&hl=en_IN)

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Modoru D'kkoru
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren

there's no per-app setting on the system settings -
    at most, you can set a monthly data limit with a warning when it goes over a certain threshold and a forced data cap.
    some apps do have options within their own settings, though, that go along the lines of "stream only while on wi-fi" and similar.

check to see if that's the case for whatever you're using, if not, you'll need third party alternatives.

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

It's not a cure all, but if you have AT&T, you can turn on stream saver, which is supposed to cap your streaming at 480P, so you should then at least know you're on mobile and not on wifi when you see the video quality drop.