Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I would just like to note how amazing my MS paint Perds logo is at the top of all sports forum posts

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

As exciting as this might be for hockey fans, I am not optimistic at all that it'll work out well in the end. The logistics of making it work are just too much for me to think it'll be successful.

They're talking what? 2 hub cities? So each team has around 23~25 players on their rosters. Then you add in trainers, doctors, coaches, management. Let's say a round 50 people per team. At 12 teams per hub, that's 600 people you have to keep totally isolated for a LONG period of time (this playoff format will take a month at least, probably close to 2), and anyone who has to break isolation has to then self-quarantine for 2 weeks to keep every other person safe in the bubble.

But then you have to keep all the people from each individual team away from their families too, unless you want to completely isolate their families as well. And again, hypothetically let's say each person (player, coach, etc) has a wife and 1 kid, meaning for a team of 50 people, you have an additional 100 you have to isolate from everyone else to stay safe. So a hub of 600 people becomes 1800 people.

And then you have to keep building staff, broadcasting staff, etc, etc either completely separate from teams, or isolate them too lol.

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Best, miracle, case scenario is that it goes off without a hitch and we get some awesome hockey again. Worst case scenario is that people will break isolation, get infected, spread infection throughout their team and potentially other teams, a handful of players will have to be hospitalized, some might die, and a lot who don't will have to deal with the physical repercussions that result from fighting Covid (their breathing getting totally fucked, losing muscle mass and blah blah from being bound to a bed for weeks, etc).

What I think will happen is someone (and murphy's law says it'll be a big star player) will break isolation, get the virus, get caught from testing (how quick has testing results gotten in the US by the way?) and either get pulled from the roster or they'll pull a "hockey boys have to be tough and play it out" stupid, playing while hiding the infection and fucking everyone else over.

So yeah, I hope it works, but I expect it to fail miserably.

Kevin Lowe's Sock Account
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Then the NHL can spin it like "You can't spell Covid without OVI"
    Problem solved.

BG's #1 Hatsune Miku fan!
    BG Level

I'm not optimistic that this is going to work out.

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

After seeing clips of the commentary during the golf thing that happened today, I'm more then happy to settle for individual played sports (golf, tennis, that sort of thing) if it's paired with fun, hilarious commentary.

The feasibility of setting that up safely is waaaaaay higher then these bubble sport hubs as the scale of how many people would have to be constantly, safely isolated would be waaaaay lower and even the people playing the sports wouldn't even have to come into close contact with each other.

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Youre gonna post all that and not link to anything related so we can know what happened.

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

It was a lot of Chuck being Chuck, and I'm a big fan of Chuck

https://twitter.com/itismarkharris/s...73189109673985

https://twitter.com/NOTSportsCenter/...84769360654338

https://twitter.com/BradGalli/status...65376698269697

I tried to find a compilation vid on youtube, but the best I got is clips off twitter. 2nd one is especially fantastic

Fuck It, I'm Goin Deep Fan Club President
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Bettman press conference in 14 minutes

Hackey Thread Lurker since 2010
    I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

Regular season officially over.
    Ovie and Pasta share the Rocket Richard Trophy @ 48 goals
    Draisaitl wins the Art Ross @ 110 points
    Rask wins Jennings

I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

Phase 4 (return to play) expected to begin late summer/early fall

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Take Dallas+LA+Vegas off there...Late summer/early fall for those areas?! The ice will be garbage

a p. sweet dude

BG Level

What on God's green earth is that draft lottery horseshit. Who the fuck came up with that?

BG Level

Only reason those three are in consideration is because of logistics to house a bunch of players makes sense. LA has 3 arenas (or 4 if you count San Diego) to play at - Honda, Staples, Toyota Ontario (AHL Reign,) and the AHL SD Gulls arena so I could imagine that being part of the factor as a hub candidate.

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

1 major deterrent for a Canadian city being a hub city is that Canada is imposing a 2-week quarantine for anyone who enters the country. NHL doesn't want that at all, so unless that gets exempted for them (which, fuck that noise), likely not going to be in Canada.

Fuck that draft lottery shit. Playoff teams shouldn't be allowed a chance at the #1. The 7 non playoff teams should be the only ones with a shot at #1.

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

8 of the lower 24 teams are only in to simulate the fact that with how many games were left, some of them had legit chances of making it into the playoffs (Montreal and Chicago being the more dubious exceptions given how far back they were). The first round with the top 4 in the East and West having by's is moreso to simulate playing out the rest of the season and giving all the potential contenders a chance at post-season.

So I can understand your gripe, but at the same time, I can see why the NHL would allow those who lose in the first round to still be in the draft pool. And frankly, I kind of love the drama of the huge draft position upsets we've been getting (except Edmonton getting McJesus naturally)

Kevin Lowe's Sock Account
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

The part that I keep thinking about is unless they super rush each series since way less travel, it'll be like

Team wins the Stanley Cup, Bettman interrupts the cup presentation to do live draft on the ice
    Training camp opens the next day. 2020-21 season starts 12 hours after Hallsy raises the Cu.. hahahahaha I can't even type that

BG Level

Probably a 3 month break between end of playoffs & start of 2021

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

For those that havent seen the playoff plan, heres a long story about it from espn

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/...season-returns