+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Fall 2019 Anime     submit to reddit submit to twitter

I feel like the first season was the only good one, right balance of fan service and a story that didn't really get in the way of that. The more recent seasons are the opposite, shitty story and not enough fan service.

Animation was usually good though, so it's not terrible to watch for that but definitely not enough fan service.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Personally, I thought the second season was fine except for the harem nonsense, especially the battles, also thanks to some very great BGM. Divers, on the other hand, definitely was cheesy in parts, but even those had their charm, even moreso when I rewatched it recently. That and some great battles as well, would recommend watching it for them at least, even if you're not into, at times, thinly veiled drama.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Damn I always love long stretch of amazing animation.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

If it wasn't for Chihaya, Ahiru no Sora would be the best anime this season by far. It's almost Haikyuu level.

Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Yeah it is very solid; last few eps have been great. Ace of the Diamond is also excellent right now.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Binged through the released eps of Oresuki. I don't like traditional harem anime (with a few exceptions). This one is of course a subversion of the genre but I went in not expecting much and got a gut-bustingly hilarious ride. 8 eps went by so freaking fast.

It lays it on pretty thick in the first episode, but as the story progresses it's clear that Oresuki isn't just a cheap subversion. It adds plenty of mystery-style hijinks and intrigue. It doesn't really take itself too seriously, just seriously enough to deliver an actually decent story. My only complaint is that the character's personalities sometimes give me whiplash. Like I don't really expect a human mind to be able to readjust itself that quickly. But it's a minor issue in what is otherwise a funny, interesting, enjoyable series overall. I'm glad I'm finding more to like this season than I thought I would.

This is from last season but finally finished Astra - Lost In Space. Now this was a good story. There are some minor problems with it (the kind that pop sci-fi stories almost always overlook) but otherwise I highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys sci-fi. It's a mystery and a space adventure and a comedy/drama with some real character growth. By the end I felt I had watched something with real meat to it, not something tropey and forgettable, even though it was only 12 eps long. I really don't think I'll be forgetting this one anytime soon.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Can someone explain wtf is going on in naruto? Idc enough to binge the manga or anime, but I'm seeing some time travel shenanigans with jiraiya and I'm so confused lol

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    Can someone explain wtf is going on in naruto? Idc enough to binge the manga or anime, but I'm seeing some time travel shenanigans with jiraiya and I'm so confused lol

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Filler.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Disney think it has the next Gravity Falls hit.

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Oh man, I'm supposed to be a devoted Rowlet fan... but Scorbunny tho

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Vaspinne View Post
    Oh man, I'm supposed to be a devoted Rowlet fan... but Scorbunny tho
    You forgot one:

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

It's too cute, I need to keep watching that series. Too much stuff to watch D:

Well, Cautious Hero sure went from silly to feels in these last 2 episodes.

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

According to the people on reddit, the LN isn't nearly as comedic as the show. But I loved the comedy of the show so I'm glad they did it the way they did. Curious if the LN ends where the anime ended or if it continues with that semi-cliffhanger.

Also, should we keep making new anime threads for every season? Or just change this into a general new seasonal cour anime thread?

Think I prefer the quarterly threads. Just a matter of someone bothering to link a season chart and/or promo vids.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Cautious Hero sure did turn out to be a ride. Gonna probably re-watch it when I get a chance. Oresuki was good but the lack of closure in the ending and having to wait months for an OAV to wrap it up is garbage.

Also my vote is for seasonal anime threads, it's easier to talk about the shows that are running right now. There just hasn't been a real crazy season in a while.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Vote for threads to be separate too.

And then maybe an all general purpose one like the manga one.

edit: I just finished Shin Chuuka Ichiban (cooking master boy)

I want my time back lol. It was only nostalgia that kept me watching, but they essentially Dragon Ball Kai'd the series from episode 19 of the original series and basically redone it (with some new voices and redrawn) that leads up to the penultimate battle of the Shanghai arc. So essentially they condensed episodes 19 to 42 and a half into 12 episodes.

Time to pick another thing to marathon. Since you guys just spoke of Cautious Hero and it was something I did take interest in, I shall choose that next!

Quote Originally Posted by Silenka View Post
    Cautious Hero sure did turn out to be a ride. Gonna probably re-watch it when I get a chance.
    Quote Originally Posted by arus2001 View Post
    Well, Cautious Hero sure went from silly to feels in these last 2 episodes.
    It took 2 days but I too am just done with this. Very very good. The english dub should finish up in the next 2 weeks or so, so I will rewatch it in English to hear how the VAs there handle it.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

SAO

Ohh, I'm all in for that new Shinon look

So ID:Invaded reminds me a lot of The Cell. A Jlo Movie in 2000.