+ Reply to Thread
    D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

New Laptop / Computer Advice

Basically just looking for some recommendations/guidance on a new computer or laptop suitable for gaming and media creation (no Apple).

I've had my current gaming laptop for like almost a decade and it's finally time to get something new. Used to be I did ALL my gaming on my computer and my ASUS laptop with 8bg of ram handled it well. Now however I hardly ever play PC games and mainly play on my Switch. However I've been telling myself I'm gonna wait for the Elder Scrolls 6 to finally upgrade and get a new rig. Granted a.) that shit is still gonna take at least 2 more years to come out and b.) TES has never exactly been a graphical powerhouse, I'm thinking just fuck it and get a new computer now.

But I've become out of touch with computing standards, so how much RAM, memory, and what kind of GPU should I get? It sounds like AMD has gone back to being awful-- not sure why. I'm expecting to get the biggest SSD affordable. A friend of mine recommended the Dell XPS15 and it seems like a good versatile choice with simplistic customization. Thoughts?

https://gizmodo.com/dell-xps-15-revi...qA3_PLUPpRC578

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

XPS machines are quite nice, as they're Dell's premium home line. If you're wanting a general use laptop, and willing to pay a little bit of a premium for higher build quality, look and feel, etc...then they're one of the top considerations.

If, on the other hand, you're looking more at raw specs, and maybe don't care quite as much about thin/light/battery life, then you can get more power for less. Even from Dell. For instance, their G5 laptop config priced similarly to the XPS 15 with a discrete GPU has twice the RAM and SSD, and a better GPU as well. While not best-in-class, it'd also be a lot more equipped to run that hardware at load for hours on end. Something many general use laptops these days are not great at.

While it would take checking into, as ultrabooks (in particular) aren't always upgradable, I would prioritize GPU/LCD and the like over RAM/SSD out of the box. Especially given that a lot of gaming (or just 15"+) laptops may be able to fit multiple drives now. The vast majority of CPU/GPU setups in laptops are going to be Intel/nVidia. I would look for at least a GTX1650 as that XPS has, but Ti or 1660 would be better, or an RTX 2060. Those should generally be good for 1080p gaming, and possible to find in a wide range of machines. Venturing above that probably means focusing on (and paying a premium for) machines targeted at gaming.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

double post