FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

{Early Access} Overwatch 2 - October 4, 2022

The nations of the earth are under assault. As the omnic forces of Null Sector launch a barrage of surprise attacks around the world, the planet’s governments and militaries prove quickly outmatched—and the remnants of the fearless strike force once known as Overwatch rally to make a valiant stand. Now the world’s heroes must each decide whether to answer the call to reemerge, reunite, and serve as a beacon of hope in a new era of crisis.

Overwatch 2 is the globe-spanning sequel to Blizzard Entertainment’s acclaimed team-based game, building upon the original’s battle-honed foundation and carrying forward everything players have earned into a new era of epic competition and team play. In addition to clashing against rivals in PvP modes, players will explore the Overwatch universe firsthand in whole new ways in fully cooperative missions that challenge the world’s heroes to team up, power up, and take on an overwhelming outbreak of threats around the globe.

HEROES RISE AND VILLAINS EMERGE IN CO-OP MISSIONS

Experience the advent of a new Overwatch as Winston, Tracer, and other members of the original Overwatch join forces with a new generation of heroes in action-packed, cooperative Story Missions. Players will take an active role in the next chapter of the Overwatch saga as it unfolds through a series of intense, high-stakes 4-player missions, taking control of different sets of heroes as they fight to defend the world from Null Sector, uncover the motives behind the omnic attacks, and confront rising new threats around the globe.

The battle continues in Hero Missions, where heroes are called upon to go beyond their limits as they deploy across the world, defending cities against robot invasions, taking on elite Talon agents, and battling the villainous forces laying siege to the world. In this highly replayable mode, players can level up their heroes and earn powerful customization options that supercharge their abilities, granting the extra edge they need to overcome the odds. Choose whether you want Reinhardt’s Fire Strike to ignite nearby enemies, or modify his hammer to swing with increasingly blazing speed; modify Mei’s Endothermic Blaster so frozen foes take more damage and shatter into deadly ice shards; and more.

A NEW ERA OF EPIC COMPETITION

Overwatch 2 represents the beginning of a new era for Overwatch’s world-renowned competitive 6v6 play. In addition to carrying forward all of the original game’s heroes, maps, and modes—as well as existing Overwatch players’ accomplishments and loot collections—Overwatch 2 adds multiple new playable heroes to the ever-growing roster, widens the scope of the world with even more maps and locations, and adds a new Push match type in which two teams compete to guide a robot to their side’s objective. The sequel also introduces an enhanced UI, along with visual and engine upgrades that bring Earth’s battlefields and your favorite heroes to life in greater detail.

Overwatch 2 also renews Blizzard’s commitment to continue supporting the existing Overwatch community. Current Overwatch players will battle side-by-side with Overwatch 2 players in PvP multiplayer. In addition, current Overwatch players will be able to play Overwatch 2 heroes and maps, ensuring the core PvP experience remains dynamic and vital for today’s community in the Overwatch 2 era.

BG Content
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

Did they announce a sequel and just reuse most of the character audio in the reveal trailer? >.>

Somewhat hyped, but I'm curious to see how much attention the PvE side gets. I've said for a long time that it doesn't make a lot of sense to devote resources to a full PvE side in Overwatch (no matter how much fans might want it), so we'll have to see if it sticks or is it a one-and-done thing like the holiday story missions.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Man, none of this is making me excited for OW2. I just look at the PvE story stuff and think I'll never touch it after a first play through. The coop stuff I wont touch after max level, and then i look at the pvp stuff and so far it's the same thing with an updated UI. Not impressed, hope they show more or I'm out.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by 6souls View Post
    Current Overwatch players will battle side-by-side with Overwatch 2 players in PvP multiplayer. In addition, current Overwatch players will be able to play Overwatch 2 heroes and maps, ensuring the core PvP experience remains dynamic and vital for today’s community in the Overwatch 2 era.
    So if you don't want the PvE experience or the spruced up visuals, there's no reason to buy it? That feels like it'd be a nightmare to dev for. Unless OG OW players get the same upgraded visuals and engine I guess.

Absolute Messenger of Promathia
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I haven't played OW in more than a year and I don't think this is going to get me back into it. I mean, I don't know what I expected from "OW: Story Mode" but I was really hoping for a couple steps above the PvE events, so far it looks like all we're getting is a real bare bones "Skill tree" and a few throw-down items. Shame really but maybe it'll look better closer to release.

Also makes it impossible to sell. If it's more than $20 it's not worth buying. It's basically a glorified expansion.

"Check out our OW sequel, with new characters, skins, maps, and game modes. By the way if you own the first game, you get 75% of that stuff for free. Buy our crap!"

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Its a real confusing business model and if everything we're hearing about it is true IDK how they're going to profit off of this "sequel", but nothing they've announced seems at all like a "Fuck you" to the players other than I guess having the audacity to charge for a full length PvE campaign mode? If this is a glorified expansion, and the price point is fair, they're doing the OW1 players far better than every other yearly release cash grabs people constantly gobble up and hype for. Fifa, Madden, Call of Duty, dozens I'm sure I'm forgetting off the top of my head, etc etc. The same fucking game year after year grotesquely monetized P2W garbage that kill their previous game and force you to start over.

Of what we know so far(according to the round up video I've just watched), Blizzard seems to be doing everything right by OW1 players. Cross play, keeping your progress, access to all the new PvP focused content like maps and heroes, etc. To people who don't care about the PvE nothing is changing except you just got a whole big ass expansion for free.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

That's what I'm confused on really, the business model and approach. I'm not mad about it, I'm just not sure how it'll do. I'm sure holiday events and such would all include PvE events with exclusive skins to push people towards buying OW2. Definitely seems like a marketing push or sorts, because it seems far more like an expansion than anything.

BG Content
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

The more I think about it and the more impressions of the PvE stuff I read, the more I wish they hadn't invested the resources in these PvE missions. Honestly, if the League animated series hadn't been announced two(?) weeks ago, I'd have 100% said do something like that instead. And even with that, I still kinda think they should have done that instead >.>;

Not to mention they've said OW is getting a near halt on changes until this comes out. They did say OW will get one more hero before OW2, but the majority of resources are going into OW2. So don't expect any major updates or bug fixes for the next year. This really does just all seem poorly and hastily handled.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Well thought out plans are unfortunately the rarity instead of the norm in games development.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

It's a 1.5 instead of a true sequel. They should have gone with the Fortnite route and release the content as a major update instead of a new title.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Overwatch doesn't really have the same level of income Fortnite has, my guess is Overwatch just isn't making the money anymore and they're hoping by marketing alone "Overwatch 2" would create more buzz/hype than just a DLC or "Big Patch" would, and get some eyes back on Overwatch as a whole, good or bad. But I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't have preferred it that way, but we live in reality world and Activision is Activision.

Quote Originally Posted by silverdragontyr View Post
    Not to mention they've said OW is getting a near halt on changes until this comes out. They did say OW will get one more hero before OW2, but the majority of resources are going into OW2. So don't expect any major updates or bug fixes for the next year. This really does just all seem poorly and hastily handled.
    Overwatch, and Blizzard by default, have never been known for quickly bringing about patches anyway. Its like turning the dial from "Extremely slow" to "slightly more extremely slow"

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Karbuncle View Post
    Overwatch doesn't really have the same level of income Fortnite has, my guess is Overwatch just isn't making the money anymore and they're hoping by marketing alone "Overwatch 2" would create more buzz/hype than just a DLC or "Big Patch" would, and get some eyes back on Overwatch as a whole, good or bad. But I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't have preferred it that way, but we live in reality world and Activision is Activision.
    I understand from a marketing standpoint of slapping a 2 on the title, but only having enough content that would be the equivalent of a Destiny yearly package or a slice of a recent CoD is foolish. We will find out more in the coming days as Blizzard schedules their Blizzcons to create hype just before they release their third quarter financials.

They're entitled to charge for content. We've been getting free content for three years. It's really just how they're going about it that's abrasive. Updates and balance changes have noticabley slowed. When fans complain or question they get little response. Then we get this announcement, titled "Overwatch 2" like it's a sequel. Then we're told 75% of the content from this will be free to those with OW1. Finally they say most if not all OW1 updates will stop until OW2.

If they had simply called it a PvE pay for expansion and added the stuff that will be free to OW anyways as updates over the next year, I think there would be less hesitance. This way just feels awkward and a way to overcharge for an update, albeit larger(hopefully) one.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I think I’ll hold my reservations until I see a price tag. If they’re smart they’ll keep it under 40$.

BG Content
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

To be fair, wasn't the 2,2,2 update a huge undertaking which took them over a year to build?

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Serra View Post
    To be fair, wasn't the 2,2,2 update a huge undertaking which took them over a year to build?
    That's their own fault for making 1 of 3 classes pretty irrelevant from a gameplay perspective. 3/3 wouldnt have dominated if they designed better.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

BG Content
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

During an interview at BlizzCon, Overwatch director Jeff Kaplan said that it hasn’t exactly been a cakewalk for the development team to split its focus between the live aspect of Overwatch 1 and the secrecy-shrouded incubation of its bouncing baby sequel.

“Overwatch 2 was 100 percent the reason” for the sluggish Overwatch 1 updates, Kaplan said. “And that was the reason that we were so excited to announce Overwatch 2. We now feel like we can have that open dialogue with the community of, ‘This is what we’re doing, this is why we’re doing these things.’”
    https://kotaku.com/overwatch-stagnat...cto-1839669473

Not a great excuse. Especially if there is going to be an expectation that they're going to keep supporting PvE content in OW2, how do they do that and update existing events when they've spent the past two years not doing that. Or, is OW2 content going to stagnate after a year while they start working on OW3?

Kaplan also talks about how they're constantly making new modes, but they never make it to players because they can't balance them after a few days, they stop being competitive, etc.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag