+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Mattress Brand/Model Recommendations

So I am having a hard time sleeping at night, and according to the sleep study I did, I toss and turn constantly. Our mattress is 9 years old, so I'm thinking maybe that's one of the causes.

I'm always nervous about getting a new one simply because I'm putting 800+ down on something that may or may not hold up long term. And there's like a bazillion brands/models out there.

Anyone ever get one of those like purple mattresses? Thoughts? They have good reviews, but again, you gotta have them delivered and I don't think you can try it in a story.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Mannoroth

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    So I am having a hard time sleeping at night, and according to the sleep study I did, I toss and turn constantly. Our mattress is 9 years old, so I'm thinking maybe that's one of the causes.

I'm always nervous about getting a new one simply because I'm putting 800+ down on something that may or may not hold up long term. And there's like a bazillion brands/models out there.

Anyone ever get one of those like purple mattresses? Thoughts? They have good reviews, but again, you gotta have them delivered and I don't think you can try it in a story.
    My last ex convinced me to buy a used memory foam mattress off Craigslist (Facebook Marketplace?) some years ago. Always had (and still has) a mattress cover on it and was also located in a wealthier area of Tampa, which helped ease my mind. Anywho, quite possibly the best purchase I've ever made. Cost me $150 for a queen.

edit: i'm almost positive that I've read previously of purple having a trial period

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

This what I've been using since early September. I have horrible posture and every time I lay down the mattress corrects my spine. Best consistent night's sleep I've had in recent memory.

I also use a memory foam pillow for my neck.

https://www.costco.com/stearns-%2526...100495653.html

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Hmm I didn't even think to look at Costco. Thanks!

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

My wife and I gambled on an ikea mattress 4 years ago and we still love it. Cost like $400 and it's the best sleep I've ever had.

Best thing for me was being able to go to the showroom and actually lay on it. We have a preference for really firm beds so we ended up with a high firmness foam bed. I don't remember the model but I can check when I get home.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

I only know one person that has liked their new mattress less than their old mattress, and I think he is crazy.

People generally keep their mattresses for too long and/or move from objectively shitty mattresses to upscale mattresses as they get older, and thus everyone is a bad judge of new mattress supremacy.

IMPERIAL CONCUBINE OF ME
    Coolest Monkey In The Jungle

BG Level

we have a sealy optimum with the cooling beads probably the best money I've ever spent in my life. I think they are called something else now, this was about 6 years ago.

something to keep in mind you can haggle these mattress stores down a ton, like buying a car, we acted semi interested but we almost left and they took like 400 dollars off the asking price to make the sale.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

What Day said.

Wife and I were buying our mattress back in 2011 and went to a Sleepy's (Mattress Firm now). Mattress we liked was $1400. They took some money off and we walked out satisfied at like $1000. Called corporate the next morning and told them to cancel the order, found something else better and cheaper, they knocked it down to $600 with box spring, frame, and delivery.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Wife and I have a Purple, and we love it. Starting around 10 years ago I always woke up with back pain...not any more. We bought a Hybrid #3 which was the middle firmness (choices were 2, 3, 4). The # equates to the inches of their purple grid stuff on top of the rest of the mattress bits, with more making for a softer matress. We started with the #2 as we lean towards firm mattresses but not rock hard, but decided after about a month we wanted a slightly softer model. The 2 was rather firm, so if you're in to that sort of mattress that's your choice. The exchange process was 100% free as advertised, with no hassle. Called them up, said it was too firm, they gave us a full refund without question after a brief (and cordial) conversation and told us to just go buy the next softer model. Delivery was hassle free both times. Upside was we got the free gift twice, so we each have a purple pillow. Heavy as hell, a bit strange at first, but now I love it.

Looks like they have changed their models a bit since we purchased and only have the original and 2 hybrid choices. There are a couple stores sort of near us where you can test drive (CHI area) but it may not be possible for you. Unless they've changed since we bought having it returned or exchanged shouldn't be a problem. Wife and I were leery as well but it was painless. You actually can buy it and sleep on it for a couple months to see what you think and not get screwed over if you decide to exchange or return.

Whatever you get...don't be afraid to spend a bit of cash. A good night sleep for years (literally) is worth the investment in a good mattress.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Consumer Reports ranks these as the top 5 of their categories:

Inner spring:
    Avocado - Green ($1400)
    Casper - Casper Hybrid ($1500)
    Ethan Allen - EA Sugnature Platinum Plush ($3000)
    Charles Rogers - Powercore Estate 5000 ($1500)
    Bob-O-Pedic - Hybrid ($900)

Honorable Mention: Beautyrest Silver Open Seas Luxury Firm is #7 and priced around $600.

Foam:
    Essentia - Stratami (~$3000)
    Reverie - Dream Supreme II Hybrid ($3700)
    Sleep on Latex - Pure Green Firm (~$800)
    BedInABox - Tranquilium ($1300)
    Tuft & needle - Mint (~$900)

Honorable Mentions: Novaform Serafine Pearl ($800) & Lull "The Lull" ($800) are #6 and #7.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post

Damn girl you pay for what you get. If you want a queen or king that's going to last 8+ years, prepare to spend at least a grand. The more the better. And use a mattress protector to keep your sweat and grime off the insides to keep it lasting longer. I recommend you get away from spring technology and go foam, but that's usually more expensive. I have a king size adjustable tempurpedic, soooo comfy and I've never slept better.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Hybrids are the new tech right now. They're supposed to provide the best support and sleep. Apparently the inner springs aren't as bad as everyone thought, or something.

Special at 11:30 or w/e

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

We are on year nine of a Simmons Beautyrest queen that we paid $650 for. About a month ago a spring on my side poked thru very slightly. Bought a $15 mattress pad from Kohls to solve the issue and it's fine. It's been probably the best mattress I've owned, but that isn't saying too much since I'm frugal to cheap. But now that my body lets me know it's not indestructible anymore I'll definitely be spending more when we buy something new which will be sooner than later.

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

All the mattress-in-a-box companies offer a trial period. Usually like 100 days. Start with Casper and go from there

I have a casper and i love it. The 100 day no frills return policy is pretty sweet too. They even send someone to come pick it up from you if you go that route. Also they will send you a free memory foam topper if you think its too firm for free. They are definitely worth a try for the return policy alone.

Special at 11:30 or w/e

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Oh, here is this thread! We are a few weeks into our Zinus king ($375 on sale @Sam's) mattress with box and we love it. I had my doubts about the quality for such a cheap offering but it was completely worth it. Would highly recommend.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

yeah i got one of the zinus' off amazon a year ago when i moved into my current apartment and it's been great. no idea how long it'll hold up, but for $300 odd for a queen i have no complaints.

Certified Man-Child
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Uzuki Ashtear
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    The Scryers

The Mrs and I are trying to decide between Casper and Purple. She had a coworker tell her the Purple mattress was pretty legit but didn't specify which model. Purple mid range hybrid mattress comes out to $2100 with a free mattress cover and pillow. Casper hybrid, second highest model, is $2425. Doesn't come with anything else.

We also figure we'd wait until some of these local mattress dealers open up, as they'll be offering great deals to lure people back in I'm sure. It's just a PITA getting us both to go test out mattresses with my schedule, plus I'm not sure it's a good idea right now to lay on public furniture with the COVID and all.

Casper/Purple delivery just seems so much more convenient right now, even if we'll be paying out the ass.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

kind of a bit of a hijack but sorta related... but is there also a pillow people would recommend along those lines? Currently shopping for a good one, and the purple pillow was one of the ones mentioned, but the one on amazon had dicey reviews, especially from the US, with lots of defective product reviews...made me nervous. i'm also like the princess and the pea when it comes to feeling lumps, so things like torn memory foam (too lumpy) and goose feathers/down (too stabby...oh the stabbies!) are no go. that's why the purple pillow makes me a bit nervous - i'm worried i'd feel the triangle support things when lying down on it. this is a guy who can't wear glasses because the feeling of them on his nose drives him mad, same with a watch on his wrist or other accessories.

i've tried those contour pillows that look sorta like a half-dead peanut shape from the side so your head gets nestled and your neck is supported and those things are murder on my neck and i never feel comfortable. im mostly a side sleeper with some back sleeping and never stomach sleeping. memory foam is pleasant enough but i feel like i need a fatter pillow than most people in the center. i do know i have pretty broad shoulders, so it might be my head is more elevated than most peoples when on my side.

Sorry for the threadjack, fhloston. i just saw your post and the mention of the purple bed jogged my memory of my recent browsing on amazon. :X

Certified Man-Child
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Uzuki Ashtear
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    The Scryers

Quote Originally Posted by Psion View Post
    Sorry for the threadjack, fhloston. i just saw your post and the mention of the purple bed jogged my memory of my recent browsing on amazon. :X
    It's all good. We all just trying to sleep a little better lol

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk