Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Elizara View Post
    Okay. Just happened again, but not as severe as usual.

There's something in the event viewer about not only time out on dns servers, but a com error. Hmmm..Windows, I guess? (Something about it's not allowing local activation)

I can try to get a log if people want to see.

But yeah, a mesh network might not be a bad idea to stop this round dance and I could prolly hook my PS3 to it too (I always wanted to bypass that potato network card the thing has.)
    the DNS server thing not responding is probably just the network falling out alas. Does the actual icon in windows for wifi show you as connection lost? (I didn't think to even ask before now).

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Thrall

1st reply to this thread was me asking about wifi interference, it appears as I read through the thread, this was never explored.

Could you buy the wifi boosters?

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Dantrag; we actually had a tech check over here. Signal strength in my room was pretty strong (not surprising since i'm not far away). Also, oddly ONLY THE COMPUTER drops out. Not my PS4, not my phone, not my Kindle Fire/Fire Stick, not my PS3 about 90% of the time this happens. That's why I'm giving Windows the hairy eyeball here. Wifi boosters would be a waste and would do us no good at all, according the tech that checked our lines. (that was the second time I'd called them about argh, wtf is wrong with my internet? they did a signal strength test) However, the mesh solution might at least solve my problem so I may look into that because I'm sick of the mysterious D/Cs when my brother who's hooked up for the net through a cable box doesn't seem to have many issues.

And hell; when this happens, the connection icon shows as a globe in my taskbar. I think that's connection lost?

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Thrall

There could be a source of wifi interference that's close to the computer yet far enough away from your other wifi devices in that room.

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Not possible there either koy. I have ALL those devices very close together (like I have the PS4, PS2 (no wifi of course), Kindle Fire and stick, and the phone on the same desk that the computer's next to, and I have some wireless headphones which are off right now and my Google Home, my PS3 and dvd/vcr combo on top of a dresser right NEXT to the desk. Basically a cluster.

Since this started getting ugly with the new modem/router/gateway, HOW can there be wireless interference? Also I don't know where it could be if that's true since it was fine up until a few months ago..There was no trouble with the gateway that fried. None whatsoever. New gateway/router/modem and..problems.

[Edit] Only one way to total rule this out..It just happened AGAIN. Gonna go nuke the system and redo and see if THAT solves it. I'm going ahead and making a win 10 dvd right now so I can do this without undue problems.

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Elizara View Post
    Dantrag; we actually had a tech check over here. Signal strength in my room was pretty strong (not surprising since i'm not far away). Also, oddly ONLY THE COMPUTER drops out. Not my PS4, not my phone, not my Kindle Fire/Fire Stick, not my PS3 about 90% of the time this happens. That's why I'm giving Windows the hairy eyeball here. Wifi boosters would be a waste and would do us no good at all, according the tech that checked our lines. (that was the second time I'd called them about argh, wtf is wrong with my internet? they did a signal strength test) However, the mesh solution might at least solve my problem so I may look into that because I'm sick of the mysterious D/Cs when my brother who's hooked up for the net through a cable box doesn't seem to have many issues.

And hell; when this happens, the connection icon shows as a globe in my taskbar. I think that's connection lost?
    yeah, the globe is not connected to any wifi.
    Clean install is good anyway on occasions :D

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Yeah it is. I hope this fixes it; about to get my controller driver installed now and XIV! Work work work. ^^

[Edit] Net glitched again while I was getting stuff, but this time (unlike the other times) the troubleshooter fixed it. Hopefully no more of that. If it keeps driving me nuts I'm going to ask 'Neko to see if we can get a mesh solution to maybe can the problem. Or maybe a small wireless router in here to again, can the problem in case it IS windows being a POS.

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Okay update the day after.

I noticed that when I had to hide from Sis with FF Radio/a Spotify playlist I made up(that I played on PS3 since I had to use the wireless headphones for a while so I could move around) (I hate her stupid youtube playlist; after 4-5 years of that every morning, makes me want to murder kittens if I can't find something else to listen to) that there's a LOT less glitches/buffering than there used to be on AIMP. Maybe I've won! I wouldn't be surprised if I had some kind of driver conflict with the old drivers that I stupidly didn't wipe when I installed the new network card.

Since I wanted one for my PS3, i'm still going to look for a wireless router I can slap into client mode tho; that potato wireless card that the PS3 has needs bypassed methinks.

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Okay final update and hopefully I can drop this (no pun intended); It happened again. So I got up my courage and called AT&T. Ya know, I got a GAMER on the line? Hehe. He knew exactly what I was talking about and sent out a tech to check the lines + possibly replace the RG. (Oh and I may of talked him into playing KH but that's another story, lol!)

Anyway long story short, we now have a newer RG and hopefully no more connection problems. We got the good tech this time (a older guy) and he even checked the lines within the house, something the other guy did not do. No problems there; so bullseye on the RG. Sis has not been nice about it since she wonders what I've been freaking out about/thought it was minor; now I don't mind the occasional wireless glitchie, but constant lag + my connection RANDOMLY DROPPING OUT is not good, tho it wasn't worth throwing fits that Sis thought were at her. Not to mention this wireless problem was affecting my other brother (Not Shadowneko, he's not the one that does this) at times who works from home and remotes in, so he doesn't need these glitches.

If we still have problems, might take a few months but we might be looking into getting a sep router so the glitches stahp. ^^ And..I'm still going to see about getting a access point for my PS3. Potato wireless card = No thanks.

I can post up a pingplotter map if people are curious, but right now..my latency to my FFXIV server is even tons better, which shows where the problem was all along. Stupid gateway/modem/router. ^^ And yes, since this was Uverse's equipment that was likely malfunctioning, I did open the call with "Um, could you check and see if our neighbor's inadvertently interfering with our wireless?!"; that may of gotten me better results than vague issues. (He has Uverse too. Out here in the sticks, it's Uverse or nothing, it seems.)

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

fingers crossed!

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Well, couple weeks after the tech came and repped our RG. With the new RG, no problems whatsoever. I went ahead and port forwarded soon as I could for XIV anyway (this uses the old crappy software where I have to make three profiles to port forward for that), but any lag there seems to be AT&T's fault at the moment, not our equipment. (I checked.) With the old RG, it was so bad I had to port forward to play at all, so I'm just being extra cautious. (I think that shows we had a crappy RG at the time though.)

Anyway other than minor glitches that I've been used to but that don't total d/c me from the RG, things are working VERY well. My middle brother who works from home is very happy that he isn't kicked off the wireless, and so am I. Even with them trying to sell us switching our cell phones from T-Mobile (Um, T-mo is still better value than theirs) I'm glad I finaly got the courage..and the better techie. So I can finally say.. CASE CLOSED.

Also, consider this dropped, for I don't think there will be more problems any time soon. ^^

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Good stuff!

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Okay. I lied, sorries. One more update on the [CENSORED/BLANK!] internet connection mess and I'll shut up.

If you saw this thread you know what I was looking for. I suspected a Windows update had been gumming up my new wireless card (There's one that does that.) since I was randomly getting errors in Firefox and other browsers which were basically, "No you can't view this website" (when the website was whatevah website I was looking at at the time) and having to use Windows Troubleshooter to reset the network adapter. This was happening 1-3 times a day on average (GRRR!) Since Uverse is no longer at fault, the Finger of Blame (tm) was pointing back at Windows, since I'd heard there was a recent update that gums up certain brands of wireless cards/chips. (Darn you Microsoft!)

So I decided the only way to figure out once and for all what was gumming it up was to find a wireless bridge, so Windows wasn't handling the wireless anymore. But since they don't MAKE wireless n bridges that connect via Ethernet (which I prefer for speed reasons; yes there's usb stuff, but I've had baad luck with USB to Internet)..Hmm. Router? Isn't there one that wouldn't break my bank account that I could use as a bridge?

Thanks Niya for pointing out the hAP Mini and spending the time either configing that thing (Via Teamviewer) or helping me config it over chat. /offers Niya a high five

I don't know if we'd get a router and do IP passthough with our gateway ever, but if I can get extra money, I may do some research and get us a killer wireless router to use. Not in the cards now of course!