She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Ummm..Help a gal solve some wireless issues that's making me want to throw shoes at the gateway?

I was talking with Niya about this, but I'd thought I'd post this here in case someone could offer some suggestions.

As most of you folks know, I'm on wireless on my pc. A few months ago, because of Mother Nature being nasteh, we had to get a new Uverse router/gateway.

..THAT has given me nothing but headaches for some dumb reason, I don't know why. Mainly, I've been getting random disconnects at times and today, I was disconnected for a hour and couldn't reconnect until a few minutes ago. I've tried repping the wireless card with a new one. I've tried calling Uverse (3 freaking times~!)..they're no help. I've tried deleting the wireless card. (That was when I got the hour disconnect btw, it wouldn't let me connect again/wouldn't accept the password for a hour) I've tried updating the network driver to the new network card. I tried a wireless stack reset just now. (We'll see if that helps..) Since I'M teh only one complaining so it's something with my PC, I think..

Anyone have any suggestions OTHER than powerline internet or running a wire (running a wire will tick my sister off major; bit too far from the router) to stop this round dance? (If you saw what I just posted in Random Fail, you'll KNOW why I'm really wary of that. Freaking former owners who did some bad things with the power grid in this house..)

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Thrall

It's possible something that's close to your PC is causing wireless interference. That's all I've got for now.

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Cam you borrow a router from someone and test with? Sounds to me like the issues started after you got a new router, but you're working on your computer as the source of the issues, which is by no means a certainty.
    Are the DCs happening to anyone else in the household (or are they all running stuff that isn't as susceptible to outages of wifi)?

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Hellfury; seems to be only me, and it happened before I repped the network card too.

I'm wondering if either A. Windows is being a butt (ALWAYS a possibility) or B. The new Uverse gateway hates me. So need to check both angles, but if trying to figure out if A is the problem doesn't work, I'll have to ask Neko to buy a router to passthough the modem part of the gateway. Very aggravating tho.

Tho if what Niya suggested doesn't keep my net from going lulu, the next step in the "Does Windows h8 me?" train will be a nuke-and-redo the operating system. Not. Fun.

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Powerline adapters can be a bit wonky if they're not on the same circuit (I think the English word is?).
    When you say wireless stack reset, I assume that includes netsh winsock reset, but it shouldn't be relevant for the issue you're experiencing.
    When you replaced the wireless card, you got a different kind, or just a replace? (some hardwares just don't like each others, it's uncommon, but not unknown).
    You could go the dull route and manually remove all the relevant driver files from your network cards, just to eliminate anything there. Had to do that on more than one printer installation.
    How often does this occur? I would really try the wired approach, not permanently, but for elimination purposes. See if it's stable or not.

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Hell; wired is not really a option for any reason. I'm like a room away from the router, and if I tried..My sister would be mad at me and I'd risk my computer being PULLED over (as in sister trip over cord, bang goes pc on the floor and possibly destroying my hdd in the process. Or bang goes the Uverse router/modem/gateway on the floor and destroying that..Um, keep that to cartoons!). She has mobility problems, so I wouldn't dare. Tho you wouldn't know that from looking at her (She actually CAN walk but..she can't for too far or she hurts like blazes) but some disabilities are not visible.

And I got a different kind; went from a Wireless N card to a Wireless AC card and in a different slot, too. I was having the problems before that tho.

Also in case you didn't see Random Fail..Um. Some of the wiring in this house is wired very badly, as in possible dangerous variety that could cause a fire. We may need to total rip it out eventually and redo the wiring..Which makes me think bad idea to try powerline routing at all until we get around to fixing that, and I don't know when THAT will happen.

Anyway it's random, but this time it happened 2 weeks in a row on Sunday. It'll start by I boot up, no connection, and I might be able to get it to connect for a moment or two via the taskbar, but it won't stay for quite some time, which gets annoying as you can imagine. The time before this I managed to get it to behave by rebooting the gateway/router, but this time I was muttering under my breath after church for a hour and a half while it misbehaved. (I did call a tech and HE rebooted the router when I asked him not to b/c both my sister and my other brother were doing stuff; he did it anyway!) Makes me wonder if I do need to refresh Windows..but not going to unless it happens again. (I got a recent backup and I mean to back up XIV again after the update tonight.) One thing Uverse managed to help me fix was some problems with XIV; I was lagging really badly, which was how this mess started.

And yes by stack reset, I meant I used these commands on Niya's suggestion:
    netsh int ip reset something.log
    netsh winsock reset catalog

Rebooted afterwords, so far no problems but I ain't counting on it behaving forever sadly.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

What you could try doing is buying your own modem and telling uverse to eat their own ass with regard to the modem fee might save you some $$$ in the long term (Do your research on which modems they accept tho). Otherwise maybe getting them to send you a new unit and you return the old one might help.

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Fiye View Post
    What you could try doing is buying your own modem and telling uverse to eat their own ass with regard to the modem fee might save you some $$$ in the long term (Do your research on which modems they accept tho). Otherwise maybe getting them to send you a new unit and you return the old one might help.
    I am rather fond of Asus routers personally, But I can't really make heads or tails of the way american ISPs work, if you could just borrow a router somewhere, that would be a very good test though.
    I'm a bit puzzled by the sheer length you describe of DCs. You don't have any funky VPN services or anything like that, do you?

Try this:

Next time it happens, jot down the time
    in windows, hit windowskey+r, type in mmc.
    File - Add/remove snapin
    Event Viewer (add, local computer) ok
    Expand it
    go to system (use filter and filter for errors, warnings, critical)
    do the same for application.

Does anything funky show up around the time you DCed?

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Hell; no VPN. I don't use those.

Anyway I'll do that next time for you guys to see if anything funky is going on. Tho the only thing funky I've noticed is no internet when this hits (@##$%$) which is especially bad when my sister is blasting THAT youtube playlist she blasts every morning. (I usually try to cope via a playlist of my own, but when my net's not working right..)

Hopefully I can run it down without having to reformat/reinstall Windows, which is still in the cards.

And Fiye; I'll look into that. Might be a bit tricky since well, I'm not the only person in this house and the net is not a bill I pay, but since the modem/gateway/router also handles the cable, not sure if we can fix that other than getting a router and passing the net though that. Would have to argue my brothers into it, but not sure if it'd save the brother who pays the net bill any money at all.

Drill a hole in the wall and plug into the router /shrug. Or put the modem in your room and see if she has the same issues.

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Um, not possible Dantrag. It's on the OTHER side of the living room and I'm on the far side from it, across the hall. Drilling holes is no solution and it'd only make folks mad.

And since Sis's puter is DIRECT plugged into that thing..Um. No. it ain't moving.

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Elizara View Post
    Hell; no VPN. I don't use those.

Anyway I'll do that next time for you guys to see if anything funky is going on. Tho the only thing funky I've noticed is no internet when this hits (@##$%$) which is especially bad when my sister is blasting THAT youtube playlist she blasts every morning. (I usually try to cope via a playlist of my own, but when my net's not working right..)

Hopefully I can run it down without having to reformat/reinstall Windows, which is still in the cards.

And Fiye; I'll look into that. Might be a bit tricky since well, I'm not the only person in this house and the net is not a bill I pay, but since the modem/gateway/router also handles the cable, not sure if we can fix that other than getting a router and passing the net though that. Would have to argue my brothers into it, but not sure if it'd save the brother who pays the net bill any money at all.
    humm, wait a minute, you mean there might be correlation between networkload and your connection outages?
    Also, as for the handling thing, usually they can set the modem in a sort of bridge mode, that sends data traffic onto a router, whilst the modem/existing thingie handles it's uverse specific stuff. On my fiber I have 1x fiber converter, then the box that handles tvs and phones and whatnot (that I don't have anyway...) and that box is put in bridge mode, letting my own router deal with all the net stuff.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Get some long, flat cat5e/6 and attach it to ceiling corners and through door openings and string it around to where you need it. It was what I did for my ps2 about 14 years ago, still use that same cable for an 8 port switch hub (up, out of the way, painted to match ceiling, barely noticeable, untrippable unless someone walks on the ceiling?). Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Relper-Lineso...dp/B07K5WZV76/ , you might not need 100ft but you need to figure out a decent path through the house for the cable to go (estimate ceiling heights, wall lengths, add about 10ft for slack, you know) . A 20 ft straight shot could end up being 50 if you string it along ceiling-wall corners to minimize the visibility, or you could use wide staples to just attach it to the ceiling directly in a line (ugly though). An unmanaged switch hub or secondary router in bridge mode can be setup far from the main router to extend coverage this way too, and then you could connect up more devices on the new endpoint with shorter lan cables.

Conejita's Jolly
    Chaparrita's Dulce
    Trigger warning: Fuck your feelings.

BG Level

^ Check the event viewer like it was mentioned above, if it's a hardware issue it should list the error. Get your own line.

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Orintha; I'd normally think about it but my sister is against ANY wires strung across the living room and to mine. I don't think she'd appreacate'em stapled to the ceiling either, and we have old popcorn ceilings too. (Believe me, I've asked before. She threw a FIT and said no you can't.)

Proly a VERY bad idea to string 'em up there for that reason when the ceilings are one of the Things That Needs Ripped Out and Redone.

And Jofe; same problem + money.

I'll check for error, tho if it's not hardware, it's either /throws shoes at the Uverse modem/gateway/router or it's Windows being a ass with my new network card. Take your pick. I understand with some network cards it can eff up the driver. Which is why i'm seriously considering a reformat/redo of windows.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Can try an extra router and have it wirelessly connect to the modem-router and plug in a lan cable through it. No drivers you have to worry about, just a lan over wifi, anything with a lan port will work through it. Most routers can do this pretty easily. If connecting to the new router's wifi after it connects to the modem-router's wifi, your speed will be cut in half though unless they support different bands, like both 2.4ghz and 5ghz bandwidth. Example: using the 5ghz for the extra router's connection modem connection while you connect on the 2.4ghz. Since you're not messing with the modem or stringing a line from it in this case, you'll have a bit more freedom on your end.

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

I got a solution to solve the money issue. Log into FFXI, dupe Kindred/Beastmen medals, sell medals for gil, contact China, profit!!

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Could also try a mesh network . Plug one into Ethernet at the router and the other at your location and hardwire to your pc. Uverse techs even carry them on their trucks or can buy from company or get from amazon . I’m a uverse tech and honestly our modems are meh and mostly refurbished nowadays, also sometimes there’s issues that go for a couple months before company issues a patch fix. Typically after enough customers complain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Okay. Just happened again, but not as severe as usual.

There's something in the event viewer about not only time out on dns servers, but a com error. Hmmm..Windows, I guess? (Something about it's not allowing local activation)

I can try to get a log if people want to see.

But yeah, a mesh network might not be a bad idea to stop this round dance and I could prolly hook my PS3 to it too (I always wanted to bypass that potato network card the thing has.)

Did you change your DNS to google instead of what your ISP is giving you?