Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Half-Life: Alyx (Index/Vive/Rift/WinMR) - VR - March 23, 2020

Pre-Sequel
    Set between the events of Half-Life and Half-Life 2, Half-Life: Alyx is a new full-length game built from the ground up by Valve for virtual reality.
    Half-Life: Alyx is Valve’s VR return to the Half-Life series. It’s the story of an impossible fight against a vicious alien race known as the Combine, set between the events of Half-Life and Half-Life 2.

Playing as Alyx Vance, you are humanity’s only chance for survival. The Combine’s control of the planet since the Black Mesa incident has only strengthened as they corral the remaining population in cities. Among them are some of Earth’s greatest scientists: you and your father, Dr. Eli Vance.

As founders of a fledgling resistance, you’ve continued your clandestine scientific activity—performing critical research, and building invaluable tools for the few humans brave enough to defy the Combine.

Every day, you learn more about your enemy, and every day you work toward finding a weakness.

ABOUT GAMEPLAY IN VR:

Valve’s return to the Half-Life universe that started it all was built from the ground up for virtual reality. VR was built to enable the gameplay that sits at the heart of Half-Life.

Immerse yourself in deep environmental interactions, puzzle solving, world exploration, and visceral combat.

Lean to aim around a broken wall and under a Barnacle to make an impossible shot. Rummage through shelves to find a healing syringe and some shotgun shells. Manipulate tools to hack alien interfaces. Toss a bottle through a window to distract an enemy. Rip a Headcrab off your face and throw it at a Combine soldier.

Extra content for Index owners

Customers who have purchased Valve Index hardware by the end of 2019 will have access to unique bonuses starting early next year:
    • Explore environments from Half-Life: Alyx in your SteamVR Home space
    • Alternate gun skins to embellish Alyx's arsenal
    • Special Half-Life: Alyx-themed content for Counter-Strike: Global Offensive and Dota 2

Community-built environments

A set of Source 2 tools for building new environments will ship with the game, enabling any player to build and contribute new environments for the community to enjoy. Hammer, Valve’s level authoring tool, has been updated with all of the game’s virtual reality gameplay tools and components.
    https://half-life.com/alyx
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/5...HalfLife_Alyx/

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

VR only lol

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Index owners also get the game free as per their website.

They're saying it'll be a full length title, and I hope it lives up to that since I don't want this to be yet-another-5hr-long VR game when played casually.

Quote Originally Posted by Prothescar View Post
    VR only lol
    I finally have a game to play! I kid, although Boneworks is next month which I'm also looking forward to, and Asgards Wrath/Stormland came out this month for Oculus users. Now I have this for an earlier-2020 release to look forward to, but it's still mostly a dry year ahead for new 'big' PCVR games which doesn't entice much in the way of new adoption.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

i might look into buying an oculus quest just to get into VR for this tbh. now that oculus link is available to the public it seems like a great headset to get started with.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Valve will Produce More Half-Life Content if Alyx Proves Successful
    It's probably no surprise that many people at Valve have been wanting to get back to the Half-Life universe for a long time, and this experience has only reinforced that. In the process of creating Half-Life: Alyx, we've had to explore new ways to tell stories with these characters and this world, and we've discovered a lot of new gameplay experiences that go beyond what we've been able to do before.

Of course, we'll have to wait and see how people react to Half-Life: Alyx once it's out, but we'd love to continue pushing forward.
    https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/21/...er-valve-steam

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Firewatch Dev's (Campo Santo) next game "In the Valley of Gods" is Shelved as Valve Reassigns the Devs to Alyx & Dota
    To fans looking forward to In the Valley of Gods, it’s probably clear that the optimistic “2019” at the end of the announcement trailer isn’t going to be accurate. In the end, Valve Time makes fools of us all. But yes, developers from the former Campo Santo team have joined other projects at Valve, including Half-Life: Alyx. As you can imagine, our experience in the first-person adventure genre is pretty relevant. You hear a lot about how at Valve you can work on what you want. It turns out that’s true, and there’s a lot of work available. As we integrated ourselves into Valve it became clear there was a lot of valuable work to be done on Half-Life: Alyx. Some of us starting lending a hand, and have since become full-time on the project as it approaches launch. Similarly, some ex-Campos are working on Dota Underlords, some are on Steam, and so on. So to answer your question as of today, In the Valley of Gods development is on hold—but it certainly feels like a project people can and may return to. And when that happens, we’ll find an exciting way to let fans know.

Pseudo-Elitist
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

If a VR property is successful? Guess we're ending on a cliff hanger then.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Absolute Messenger of Promathia
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

From the first video i was real worried it was going to be one of those Point>Move kind of games but the other videos do show walking. Looks nice.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

99% of VR games offer the choice between comfort movement (teleport) and smooth movement (normal analog movement)

Absolute Messenger of Promathia
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Have never owned or played a VR game, only watched the occasional video. I just remember back when the craze started most games were the "Point move" games is all. Glad to know they've evolved to kind of offer both options.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

now that oculus link is available to the public it seems like a great headset to get started with.
    Just be sure to do your research, since it's still a beta, still has problems (and some controller input latency), is demanding on a USB3/C port (eg. cheap motherboards have had issues with it) and limited card support: https://support.oculus.com/444256562873335/

99% of VR games offer the choice between comfort movement (teleport) and smooth movement (normal analog movement)
    I'd like to be able to do both at once in Alyx, but so far it looks like you pick the mode you want from the options menu and that's it. I can see situations where I'd want analog stick movement, and other times quickly zipping to a spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Karbuncle View Post
    Have never owned or played a VR game, only watched the occasional video. I just remember back when the craze started most games were the "Point move" games is all. Glad to know they've evolved to kind of offer both options.
    There's a time and place for both options depending on the game, but it sucks playing some of the earlier titles which would clearly benefit from stick locomotion.

Valve will Produce More Half-Life Content if Alyx Proves Successful
    I wonder what they'd even consider successful. Good reviews? Having at least 40% of SteamVR users (1% of overall Steam accounts going by Steam hardware survey) purchase the game?

Tested also released a video today interviewing Walker & Coomer, recorded a couple months ago.

Valve also gave the game an icon on Steam today.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

The gravity gloves have to easily be the most satisfying thing to do in VR currently. Valve also exercising that sense of scale early on.

-

I will say after a few more hours, the main thing that sticks out to me is the seemingly complete lack of melee options is a little disappointing. Some of the zombie's own melee attacks reach farther than it looks visually also which distracted me a couple times I was trying to use a rod or other prop to push myself some distance. You always had the crowbar fallback in the Half-Life series, but here you're kinda screwed if you're a bad aim since ammo is scarce in the early hours where the only useful environment prop for hurting enemies are those red propane tanks, and those require ammo to detonate. I figure it's mostly a case of melee never feeling good in VR (thus far that I've played) and requires too much pantomiming for Valve's taste perhaps.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

https://twitter.com/game_fm/status/1242651442453852164

Death Stranding Easter Egg found.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Works well enough on Quest btw if anyone was planning on getting one for this

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

How's the reflex sight dot look for you Prothescar if you've gotten that upgrade already? It feels like it's barely a pixel big on a Rift CV1, and it doesn't help my aim much when it's orange on orange.

Some of the encounters in the middle of the game (or what I assume is the mid-point) stress me out. The AI aren't even that fast on regular difficulty either, but my aim is shit with these weapons. A couple combine are fine, but once you get heavier units or certain other things I won't spoil, I just want to go guns blazing and end them asap, even if it wastes my precious ammo. Also fuck headcrabs, especially with this game's audio engine allowing the devs to design maps to fuck with you with regards to them.

The game's prebaked lighting still looks fucking fantastic in VR, even on low settings. There's a sense of depth to it and fog that I just don't see in other VR titles.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries