FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Magic: Legends

Developed by Cryptic Studios (Star Trek Online/City of Heroes)
    Perfect World Entertainment, a leading publisher of live service games, and Cryptic Studios officially announced Magic: Legends, a thrilling MMO action RPG set on the iconic planes of Magic: The Gathering. Over the last 25 years, Wizards of the Coast’s strategic card game has transformed into a global phenomenon, with over 40 million players to date across 70 countries. Fans will have the opportunity to immerse themselves in the acclaimed fictional multiverse of Magic: The Gathering as a powerful, spell-wielding Planeswalker of their own creation when Magic: Legends begins beta testing in 2020.

“It’s an incredible time to be a Magic: The Gathering fan,” said Yoon Im, CEO of Perfect World Entertainment. “As huge fans ourselves, we are excited to once again collaborate with Wizards of the Coast. With its rich, immersive worlds and satisfying spellcasting system, Magic creates the perfect setting for an MMO action RPG spun into an epic fantasy adventure that players will want to continue exploring for years to come.”

“We continue to expand the Magic: The Gathering multiverse, bringing our passionate fans unique, immersive Magic experiences across their favorite entertainment platforms,” said Eugene Evans, Wizards of the Coast Vice President of Business Development. “Perfect World Entertainment and Cryptic Studios’ Magic: Legends immerses fans into the Magic multiverse as a Planeswalker - a multiverse that continues to develop through Magic: The Gathering, Arena, novels and upcoming Netflix animated series.”

Among the longtime fans of Magic: The Gathering is the development team at Cryptic Studios, who have been working on the game behind-the-scenes since 2017. Development of this MMO action RPG is an extension of a licensing partnership between Wizards of the Coast and Cryptic Studios following the success of Neverwinter, the critically acclaimed MMO based on the tabletop adventure, Dungeons & Dragons. The team currently developing Magic: Legends is helmed by executive producer, Stephen Ricossa, former executive producer behind the popular MMORPG, Star Trek Online.

"Cryptic Studios is known for making games based on franchises we love and this is no exception," said Stephen Ricossa, executive producer of Magic: Legends. "We've assembled a team of talented developers who are incredibly passionate about Magic: The Gathering and share a collective deep knowledge of the franchise. We're thrilled to have the opportunity to bring the multiverse to life in a way that fans have never experienced before."
    https://www.playmagiclegends.com/en
    https://crypticstudios.com/

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Confirmation it's trash, welp, time to forget about it.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Looks like KH CoM made into a bigger game. Big yikes.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Speaks in riddles
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Reyd Nalaar
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Draenor

Anyone else get an invite to the Magic: Legends Beta? Was sent out on 1/28/21

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

In game currency

paaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaass

WotC has shown how bad they are digitally with MTGO, and the Arena economy.
    Fuck 'em.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I received an invite, might try it but I've been burned by Wizards before.

Speaks in riddles
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Reyd Nalaar
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Draenor

Quote Originally Posted by Prothescar View Post
    I received an invite, might try it but I've been burned by Wizards before.
    burned by their... fireballssssss?!?!

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Fuck I love XP to level 3 lmao

Speaks in riddles
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Reyd Nalaar
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Draenor

The Beta, she is live!

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Open Beta started today. Here is my review....

After logging in and playing it, all I can say is that it is probably one of the worst ARPGs I've played in a very long time, and I've played through the entirety of Wolcen. The item shop is disgustingly overpriced, they have CLASSES in random chance loot boxes that you purchase for real money.

Absolutely embarrassing. Cryptic and Perfect World are both horrendously shitty companies and the product of their hard work is on full display here. Get ready to sift through twelve different currencies for different items, paid currencies, faction currencies, etc.

I honest to god do not understand how people can pick up a game like this and then spend 100s of dollars on it in loot boxes. Jesus Christ, go and buy Grim Dawn for a fraction of the price. It's 20 dollars on sale and that's usually with its expansions. That game is massive, has a ton of build options, fantastic itemization, etc.

Path of Exile, Diablo 3, virtually anything else out on the market is superior to this piece of garbage. It's got that trademark Cryptic quality though. By that, I mean it looks jank as all hell during cinematics with that same crap-looking art style that they tend to use in all their games. They're b-rate developers, and they prove it more and more with every new release.

Bard-turned-Miner
    BG Level

I just played around with it for a bit and was fairly underwhelmed. I kind of hoped the Magic setting and the rotating skills would be something new and refreshing but I was mostly just bored the entire time. I'll probably spend a little more time and see if it picks up but I'm not expecting much at this point.

Absolute Messenger of Promathia
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Bombur View Post
    Open Beta started today. Here is my review....

After logging in and playing it, all I can say is that it is probably one of the worst ARPGs I've played in a very long time, and I've played through the entirety of Wolcen. The item shop is disgustingly overpriced, they have CLASSES in random chance loot boxes that you purchase for real money.

Absolutely embarrassing. Cryptic and Perfect World are both horrendously shitty companies and the product of their hard work is on full display here. Get ready to sift through twelve different currencies for different items, paid currencies, faction currencies, etc.

I honest to god do not understand how people can pick up a game like this and then spend 100s of dollars on it in loot boxes. Jesus Christ, go and buy Grim Dawn for a fraction of the price. It's 20 dollars on sale and that's usually with its expansions. That game is massive, has a ton of build options, fantastic itemization, etc.

Path of Exile, Diablo 3, virtually anything else out on the market is superior to this piece of garbage. It's got that trademark Cryptic quality though. By that, I mean it looks jank as all hell during cinematics with that same crap-looking art style that they tend to use in all their games. They're b-rate developers, and they prove it more and more with every new release.
    I want to say they're responsible for the Star Trek MMO, and while as a huge nerd and fan of Star Trek I enjoyed playing through the story campaigns and its probably one of the better ST Games out there, I can echo that its a huge whale trap. Its a bit Jank too but its also old, so it has an excuse. But yah, STO has like... its best possible ships locked behind Loot boxes or outright purchases too, actual P2W stuff in STO, its nuts. I think most of them can be gotten through their in-game "Grind for 20 year" currency, or by buying it from other people with their other earned-in-game currency, but the only source of obtaining them that isn't OTHER players is $$.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

I watched this for a while, and I can see the basics of a decent game, with decent graphics, but the lankness comes from extremely poor lighting as well as rudimentary basic animations. As a game, it just doesn't look fun or be enjoyable to watch, but people will throw money at their favorite franchise, so never underestimate that.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

For the first time ever, millions of players from around the world will be able to experience the free-to-play, persistent-world, action RPG set in the iconic Multiverse of Magic: The Gathering. Those who join the game’s Open Beta will assume the role of a powerful, spell-wielding Planeswalker and travel across five diverse regions while collecting more than 175 powerful mana-based spells and 170 pieces of Equipment inspired by the original strategy game. Magic: Legends will launch on PC, Xbox One and PlayStation 4 later this year.

Players who download Magic: Legends on Arc Games will receive a free Gavony Vigilante Costume for their character, the 'Bruiser’ skin for the Ogre Mortar creature summon, two drop boosts and two mission boosts. Epic Games Store users have until April 6 at 9 a.m. PT to claim a free Moorland Ranger Costume, Moorland Ranger Werewolf Summon Skin and two drop boosts.

“Once again Cryptic Studios has demonstrated their ability to bring a beloved franchise like Magic: The Gathering to life in a way that feels authentic to fans and welcoming to players new to the Magic Multiverse,” said Yoon Im, CEO of Perfect World Entertainment. “As the first-ever action RPG based on Magic: The Gathering, Cryptic has created something really special with Magic: Legends. With this Open Beta period, we are excited to see how players experience the game and look forward to hearing their feedback.”

“This is truly a historic moment for the team here at Cryptic Studios,” said Stephen Ricossa, executive producer at Cryptic Studios. “Magic: Legends has come such a long way since we first pitched the idea to Wizards of the Coast back in 2016. The team has spent the last few years creating an action RPG experience unlike any other, which combines the power fantasy of becoming a Planeswalker with fast-paced combat tied to strategic deckbuilding. We’re excited for players to take their first steps into the Multiverse today.”

Magic: Legends allows longtime fans of Magic: The Gathering to explore the Multiverse like never before. After selecting from one of five Planeswalker starter classes, players will travel to different regions made famous by the celebrated card game, including Innistrad, Tazeem, Benalia and more. While exploring these planes, players will collect Artifacts, Equipment and mana-based spells, which will be used to help them build a deck of powerful, randomized attacks. A full list of the game’s key features includes:

• A New ‘Magic’ Story – Ancient forces move in the darkness, and it’s up to players to gather the power needed to fight this evil. Magic: Legends features noteworthy characters from the iconic franchise across various storylines, eventually culminating in conflict with a powerful villain from the Multiverse.

• Become a Planeswalker – Magic: Legends allows players to harness the power of mana through five diverse starter classes and switch between these classes on the fly - with additional classes available later on.

• Walk Your Own Path – Planeswalkers will need to cross various planes to save the Magic Multiverse, but how they weave their path is up to them.

• Control the Chaos – Players will make fast, tactical decisions on the battlefield in real-time, while strategically building a deck of spells from the spell library, which will be drawn at random during combat. Whether they wield the power of White, Blue, Black, Red, or Green mana - their choices determine how they navigate the battlefield.

• Collect and Upgrade – Magic: Legends offers a myriad of spells and spell pages that can be collected to make each spell more powerful. Players will acquire and utilize Equipment and Artifacts to synergize with their decks in order to craft their desired playstyles.

• Fight Together – The planes in Magic: Legends can be traversed alone or with up to two other Planeswalkers. Players can prepare unique loadouts to build on their teammates’ strengths or test their mettle in 1v1 PvP Duels.

Open Beta for Magic: Legends introduces five unique starter classes of Planeswalkers, with additional classes available later on:

• The Geomancer draws upon the power of the Earth to pummel enemies in close quarters with devastating stone and lava attacks. They are capable of absorbing blows that would otherwise incapacitate other Planeswalkers with their rock shield. Geomancers prefer to call upon creatures like goblins, kavu and earth elementals.

• The Mind Mage personifies cool intellect. As a Planeswalker that focuses on psychic powers, they can battle enemies from a safe distance, controlling projectiles with telekinetic powers, and lock down dangerous foes with spells that put them to sleep or turn them against their allies.

• The Beastcaller is the embodiment of primal might and savagery. They can vanquish hordes of foes on the battlefield with crushing blows from a massive spirit axe while coordinating attacks with an Aether Fox companion and other summoned beasts.

• The Sanctifier is equally adept at smiting foes with searing bolts of light as they are with mending the wounds of fallen comrades. This class can summon forth angels, paladins and those dedicated to order for protection in battle while laying waste to enemies with righteous light.

• The Necromancer uses deathly rituals to devastate enemies and raise undead hordes for their own purposes. This class utilizes its unique connection with death to tear the life from the living and sap enemies’ strength with terrible curses.

In addition, players will explore five diverse regions across four planes, lifted directly from the Magic: The Gathering card sets:

• Shiv - A volcanic island on the plane of Dominaria – inhabited by Ghitu tribes, goblins, ogres, and dragons.

• Benalia - A church-state city on the plane of Dominaria, where rolling plains meet dark swamps. The Benalish people are at war with the Cabal fanatics and their demons.

• Tazeem - The jungle continent on the plane of Zendikar, featuring mystical Hedron stones, massive trees, and lush rivers - inhabited by merfolk, elves, and a host of wild creatures.

• Tolaria - A tropical academy on the plane of Dominaria – teeming with aspiring wizards, Homarid beasts, and artifact constructs.

• Gavony - A province on the plane of Innistrad, where the settlements and townsfolk are constantly under attack by the likes of werewolves and undead.

Players will also harness the power of their Spark to build on and progress their own personal fragment of the Meditation Realm - an ever-changing plane of mysterious origin and countless secrets that serves an unknown master.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Karbuncle View Post
    But yah, STO has like... its best possible ships locked behind Loot boxes or outright purchases too, actual P2W stuff in STO, its nuts. I think most of them can be gotten through their in-game "Grind for 20 year" currency, or by buying it from other people with their other earned-in-game currency, but the only source of obtaining them that isn't OTHER players is $$.
    Watching the GI gameplay and they mention that Magic has a similar auction house so f2p players can use free currency to buy paid content from others. They also point out that at least one class is locked behind paywall, but that paywall is a booster pack that only has a chance to drop.

Speaks in riddles
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Reyd Nalaar
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Draenor

been playing this off and on now that's in open Beta. SUPER!!! grind heavy for a free player. the currencies needed to unlock the 3rd, 4th, and 5th classes are crazy high, as well as the same currencies needed to upgrade structures in your private realm.

It's fun jumping in and blowing shit up for a couple hours as a Geomancer (my starter class). Now that I've unlocked Mindmage it's a much different playstyle probably due to the lame cards I've unlocked for an all Blue deck. Basically running around doing the same 1, 2, or 3 difficulty skirmishes over and over and overrrr to get currency. sometimes you get a rare drop (new card) I've only gotten one mythric rare card and it was a green one which I had no intent of using. I dunno, games already fading from my memory :/

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

https://www.playmagiclegends.com/en/...ticle/11490313

Game shuts down Oct 31. Game dead.
    Ahaha, get fucked WotC.