Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I know it's only the 3rd week of January and it's also only 3 episodes in, but I think it's fair to declare Seton Academy the anime of the year already. Show is amazing.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Huh? Why? I thought it was just a kind of funny show about animal people? Is the animation even good? Is Japan really trying to turn everyone into furries?

I still haven't watched Beastars...

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I just think it's hilarious and I'm exaggerating my enjoyment of it

I mean considering there's a fantasy sex show airing I'm surprised soft furry bait is even being mentioned. I thought that concept was far funnier and handled better but my problem is there's only so much you can do with either of them.

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

If they keep Koala girls tastiest food ever being her mom's poop up as a subtle running gag for the entire run, it'll be the best comedy of the decade, no contest

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

All I'm saying is, if you haven't watched it and want a fun comedy, give it a shot. I just really enjoy how they use actual animal traits and habits and etc, and make comedy out of it by humanizing them and emphasizing just enough to make it not over the top. Add in the straight-man retorts from the MC and it's just a great setup

Can't say I agree, had way more fun with Kaguya-sama love is war (and the manga), but Konosuba also still exists lol. I'd call Kaguya-sama the best comedy of recent.

Boku no Tonari ni Ankoku Hankaishin ga Imasu (I hate these titles) is a better fit overall for me this season, but generally there aren't too many funny anime this time so it's very slim pickings.

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I should note that me saying it's the best show of the year/decade/etc is just me being over the top in my praise of it

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Neither my bf nor I enjoyed the comedic style of Love Is War which is too bad for us. We're isekai maniacs though so Isekai Quartet is getting the laughs out of us this season. But a great comedy only comes around once in a blue moon, partly because Japanese style comedy doesn't always suit Western tastes and they seem to have only relatively recently discovered sarcasm. I remember watching Haruhi for the first time and thinking "omg, Japan is finally doing it!" Cause there really just wasn't anything like it at the time (in the mainstream, anyway). I suppose it's no coincidence that Gintama and Haruhi started their respective manga/LN runs in the same year and Sugita Tomokazu ended up voicing both main characters...

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

"BNA" (Brand New Animal). (Studio Trigger)only Netflix japan will get it weekly episode release. the rest Of the world will get it at a later date as season formate.

Japan on the massive furry kick, what is going on over there

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Zootopia was a hit in Japan and open the market for furry anime. They were many fan art from Japanese top creators at the time especially from Studio trigger who are huge cartoon fans. https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-ne...es-to-zootopia

Lol, I hadn't even considered western influence. That's wild.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

I imagine the way trends work is projects that are likely to get picked up and produced follow what everyone thinks will be the next "big thing" and everyone hops on the same bandwagon. It's the reason all the major young adult books were fantastical love triangles for a while (after the influence of Twilight), fairy tale reimaginings (I assume Disney Tangled/Frozen influence but it could've been something else), or - what's trending now - princesses who need to fight/go undercover/be selected to win the kingdom. Man is it boring that everyone's writing similar stories. Seems we have Disney to blame for a lot of trendsetting though lol.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

I assumed that because of the Tokyo Olympics we'd get more Olympic/sport orientated anime coming up.

Oh well, there's always a potential isekai plot where your light novel protagonist is summoned to another world to train a bunch of scrubs to fight the demon lord's all star team in that world's all time popular sport of blitzball x quidditch x MMA

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    I assumed that because of the Tokyo Olympics we'd get more Olympic/sport orientated anime coming up.

Oh well, there's always a potential isekai plot where your light novel protagonist is summoned to another world to train a bunch of scrubs to fight the demon lord's all star team in that world's all time popular sport of blitzball x quidditch x MMA
    Lol this already sounds exactly
    Like Kemono Michi . Exact plot but he’s a professional wrestler

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Actually I did just finished watching that twice (JP then EN) but because his focus was more furries I discounted it; I was thinking of it more along the lines of more on the sportsmanship side.

Something like ... hm ..... Run with the Wind. But yeh, more or less the same, just more focus on sports/training/competing

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Ahh yeah I agree with you there. I would love an MMA inspired one but all the ones that do that tend to go overboard with techniques etc would love a grounded one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

That was Haikyuu at first, just kind of slowly sort of "super move"-y but then it eventually got more grounded and realistic and great. The current manga arc is great so far!

Yeah, the underground fighting/MMA-esque ones on Netflix are fucking garbage, and not just because of the crappy CGI. There's only so much, "How is this fucker not dead?" that can go on before you just peace out.