Closed Thread
Page 21 of 132 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 71 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Cail View Post
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/immig...f6d_story.html

President Trump is preparing to divert an additional $7.2 billion in Pentagon funding for border wall construction this year, five times what Congress authorized him to spend on the project in the 2020 budget, according to internal planning figures obtained by The Washington Post.

The Pentagon funds would be extracted, for the second year in a row, from military construction projects and counternarcotics funding. According to the plans, the funding would give the government enough money to complete about 885 miles of new fencing by spring 2022, far more than the 509 miles the administration has slated for the U.S. border with Mexico.

Trump took $2.5 billion from military counterdrug programs for border barrier construction in 2019, but this year his administration is planning to take significantly more — $3.5 billion. Trump administration officials also are planning to take $3.7 billion in military construction funding, slightly more than the $3.6 billion diverted in 2019.
    This is one of those things you can't be mad at him for. Dude is trying to keep his primary campaign promise and is doing whatever he can to get it done. It is shit like this I give him credit for, and wish Dem's would do shit like this more often and stop being pussies. Rep's stopping you from doing stuff? Work around them.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Dems can't break the law like this because other Dems would make disgruntled noises in order to appear reasonable to their constituents.

Democrats are the party of righteous disunity.

Where Republicans can say "I voted for it because I support our Republican president," the Democrats need to have a reason and not appear to just be sheeple voting the party line.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

The hypocrisy of it bothers me. If a Dem president did it the Repubs, and their media, would be LIVID. How DARE the President divert military funding for one of his pet projects! Especially troubling when this President made loud campaign noises about how weak and depleted our military was thanks to Obama and how he was gonna fix it. "Need more military funding...unless I think it should go somewhere else."

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

They frame it as border security to make it seem like it's a legitimate use of funds. I mean look at guartz. When he is like "Everything is great" the first thing he asks is "What's wrong with strong borders?"

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Not gonna lie, using counter-narcotics funds for the border wall likely would stand challenge despite how shitty the move is. You could argue that the wall would deter mexican drug trade.

I stick my dick in Crayfish
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kaslo View Post
    Not gonna lie, using counter-narcotics funds for the border wall likely would stand challenge despite how shitty the move is. You could argue that the wall would deter mexican drug trade.
    Except drugs primarily come through the established ports of entry.

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Inshiya View Post
    Except drugs primarily come through the established ports of entry.
    I understand that. It's still an argument that might find just enough evidence to pass muster.

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Courts, especially in 2020, are just looking for a fig leaf at this point.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Chevron Doctrine means that the courts aren't supposed to overturn agency judgments about chosen tactics to accomplish goals (such as drug trade enforcement for the DEA or border enforcement for USCIS) even if evidence indicates their decisions are unwise. At the same time this doctrine stops agencies from capricious changes in policy during leadership changes.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Yabby View Post
    This is one of those things you can't be mad at him for. Dude is trying to keep his primary campaign promise and is doing whatever he can to get it done. It is shit like this I give him credit for, and wish Dem's would do shit like this more often and stop being pussies. Rep's stopping you from doing stuff? Work around them.
    Agreed. This is why I still think Trump is going to win in 2020.

I hate his policies, but damn is he doing exactly what his voters wanted him to do.

Imagine how good our healthcare would have been if Obama did the same.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by TsingTao View Post
    The hypocrisy of it bothers me. If a Dem president did it the Repubs, and their media, would be LIVID. How DARE the President divert military funding for one of his pet projects! Especially troubling when this President made loud campaign noises about how weak and depleted our military was thanks to Obama and how he was gonna fix it. "Need more military funding...unless I think it should go somewhere else."
    It depends on what the dem president would be using the funding for.

As far as the average repub goes, border security is similar to the military in that they are "protecting our country from the outside."

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    It depends on what the dem president would be using the funding for.

As far as the average repub goes, border security is similar to the military in that they are "protecting our country from the outside."
    Like if a Dem president took money from the military and gave it to the veteran healthcare system... I would love to see how that played out.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Yabby View Post
    Like if a Dem president took money from the military and gave it to the veteran healthcare system... I would love to see how that played out.
    They would probably try and take credit for it or say they had an even better idea and the dems are giving a watered down version of their great idea.

TIME OUT MOTHERFUCKER

BG Level

layman's motion to dismiss

Fuck It, I'm Goin Deep Fan Club President
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...754_story.html

President Trump on Wednesday signed a partial trade deal with China, proclaiming it a landmark rebalancing of an economic relationship that had cost the United States millions of good-paying factory jobs.

The deal reflected the president’s distinctive reshaping of American trade policy, relying on government dictates rather than market forces and establishing a direct enforcement system outside the World Trade Organization.

The 86-page agreement, which comes after a protracted standoff between the two nations, commits China to buy an extra $200 billion in American products over the next two years.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

If you read between the lines, their government promised something ($200bil in purchases) that they lack a mechanism to deliver and the enforcement mechanism is what Trump was already doing. They got something for nothing and he got played for a photo op so he can go into the 2020 campaign saying he is a deal maker.

edit: nevermind, it was text:
    The deal faces widespread skepticism about China’s ability to meet ambitious targets for buying $200 billion in American products over the next two years, as well as prospects for resolving compliance disputes.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

It's a Trump quality deal. China promises to stop doing bad things and to buy more of our stuff, but there's no way to enforce any of it. You know, like a proper trade agreement. We get to stop hemorrhaging as bad because trade wars are easy to win at least.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Are you tired of winning yet?

Like a boss yo
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Mal'Ganis

Who knew trade wars were so hard guys !?!

TIME OUT MOTHERFUCKER

BG Level

So the impeachment managers are upset they lost the witness calls votes. Why didn't they pursue these witnesses in the house? They certainly had the power. I understand their argument that they didn't want to go through the lengthy legal battle of executive privilege and had to impeach Trump asap. I just don't understand why the rush and why it would be any different length of time with the senate.

To me it just seems like they knew they would lose in the court and just wanted to make a show out of it.

edit:
    Schiff suggesting that Trump defending himself is evidence of guilt just makes Schiff look like a cartoon villain.

Closed Thread
Page 21 of 132 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 71 ... LastLast