+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: AGDQ 2020     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

AGDQ 2020

Didn't see a thread for this, but it starts tomorrow!

Schedule:
    https://gamesdonequick.com/schedule

Absolute Messenger of Promathia
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

might watch just to try and spot my brothers there. Little/Older brother are there to watch it, they love it.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

GDQ Hotfix ended, AGDQ in 10min from this post.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Mario 3 race last night was a lot of fun. Skyward Sword was a little too technical for me with all the save file switching. I got lost after the 3rd or 4th instance of "past save" vs "present save".

Gonna catch the M&L run on VOD later, and looking forward to 100% DKC3. This evening is a little bit quiet for runs that interest me.

Is Claris dead?

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

The Escape from Yavin was probably the most "entertaining" run yesterday.
    Watching Dino Crisis 2 showed me it needs a remake BADLY, that shit is clunky.
    And the Myst block was nice. Not too long, execution breaking the game funny enough, and I did not know that the full series is finally up on Steam, was waiting on 3/4 forever.

BG Level

Yeah, first couple days are mostly VOD only for me, but only managed to catch the SMB3 race. Good stuff as expected. Don't remember the last time I saw 100%, so some of those levels seemed so unfamiliar to me. I wanted to catch the Myst block last night, but at the time it was supposed to start, there was still like an hour left on the Dino Crisis estimate, so I didn't bother last night.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Litz Zatsuza
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I don't get into this much but the Fallout run was immensely entertaining. Also the S3&K race made me feel embarrassed for the dude who didn't finish but at least they were all good sports about it.

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

The DOOM run is beauty in motion.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by AoE View Post
    I don't get into this much but the Fallout run was immensely entertaining.
    I just found it staggering that for the time it took him to beat FO1/2/3/NV, you were staring at load screens in FO4.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Kindly allow me to offer some finale hype for SM Impossible (a nigh impossible 2006 rom hack now speedran in about 2 hours)

I saw some of Oats' first playthrough of the hack; it took like 30 hours before his first PB shaved some 16 hours off. He'll have safety saves available surely, and I bet he'll have to use at least 1 or 2.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shanoa Varhara
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

The devs watching and commentating the Amid Evil run was lulzworthy. Yea we got the typical "man who made this game" banter but the way they kept getting mind blown at their game getting broken was worth. They gave away a lot of free steam keys as well.

BG Level

Yeah, I'm glad that they're still doing Super Metroid semi-regularly (as opposed to what seemed like every single run) but mixing it up with different ways to keep it fresh. A race between 3-4 of the top runners sounds great, until it ends up being only 1 or 2 people that finish the game or something. What did Oats do last time he ran SM? 100% map or something weird? Whatever it was, that was one of the top runs of that event and I would hope for the same for this one.

I've only bothered to watch him practice bits and pieces, but what about it makes it so difficult? Is it just unforgiving, or are we talking like a lot more technical a run or something?

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

There's at least a few really technical tricks in the SMI run, yeah, like the flatley (sp?) jump or the speedball necessary to leave the Speed Booster hallway, but really it's both unforgiving and technical.

Bosses have increased HP, some rooms are completely redesigned, upgrades are limited, spikes do more damage, and the routing is completely different. (The Forgotten Highway is mandatory for example) Draygon is perhaps the hardest part of the hack -- suitless, limited missiles, indestructible wall turrets.

Oats was already a top SM player before he tried the hack. Consider it impossible for any lay player. I probably couldn't make it to Kraid without save states, and even with them could maybe never complete it.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Some of the challenge will be easy for the audience to overlook too. For another example, when entering Kraid's lair, Samus must run on to spikes, jump during i-frames and begin bomb jumping to reach the ledge. Missing a bomb jump will kill Samus on the second hit as the spikes do 60 damage and Samus is limited to 99 health at that point.

But Oats will hit the bomb jump and the true difficulty of that bit may be missed.

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya

BG Level

Bah! Looks like I missed the hotline Miami run. How soon do VoD’s go up afterwards?

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Xno Kappa View Post
    Bah! Looks like I missed the hotline Miami run. How soon do VoD’s go up afterwards?
    https://old.reddit.com/r/speedrun/co...d_thread_2020/

There's also this nice little site which catalogs VODs/YT links of older runs: https://gdqvods.com/

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

The greatest Punchout run I've ever seen in my life, and I've seen many. Two-man one-controller blindfold run. Bonkers. Absurd.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Only game I've been able to catch in full was the Doom run, and i did not regret it. Was amazing.

Edit: Terraria run just starting. I never enjoy that game past hardmode because of the corruption spreading mechanic, but i'm looking forward to this.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I absolutely fucking love this Terraria run.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Karbuncle View Post
    I absolutely fucking love this Terraria run.
    It's a shitshow in terms of a speedrun. But A++ for game streaming entertainment.

Personalities like Badger would make a good "Games Run Poorly" block. Give a streamer a blind game to run in a genre they're used to.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast