Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Roku Originals - formerly Quibi (Quick Bites)

https://www.engadget.com/2020/01/08/...deo-turnstyle/

Today at the company's CES keynote, we finally learned about its killer feature: Turnstyle, a patent-pending technology that lets you easily switch between portrait and landscape viewing modes, all the while keeping what matters in frame. Every Quibi show plays both formats at once, using their audio track to keep them in sync. Of course, this isn't just a tech solution: The artists also have to keep the framing of both viewing modes in mind. But according to Katzenberg, that's also a challenge many of the creators have embraced.

"We've now created a very detailed playbook, if you will, based on this first year of some of the best filmmakers," Katzenberg said in an interview with Engadget, describing Quibi's first batch of directors like Doug Liman (The Bourne Identity) and Catherine Hardwick (Twilight). "They were sort of the pioneers that not only showed us the way, but showed themselves the way. It's a pretty phenomenal discovery process, and the learning curve is fast."

While watching a brief clip from the thriller Wireless, Conrad viewed it traditionally in landscape mode -- but when he flipped over to portrait, Quibi switched over to the main character's iPhone screen, where I watched him flip through texts, Instagram and Snapchat messages. It's a bit like the multi-angle feature from early DVDs, crossed with the screen-based narrative of a movie like Searching or Unfriended. Switching between the different modes can help you engage more with the narrative.

As unique as Turnstyle is, though, Quibi still has a long road ahead of it. For one, you'll have to pay to see its short mobile shows: $4.99 a month with ads, or $7.99 ad-free. It's also only accessible via an app on iPhone or Android, there's no easy way to watch its shows on larger screens (aside from something like AirPlay) or use it on tablets.
    https://news.yahoo.com/quibi-hopes-q...215314674.html

Created by Katzenberg, a longtime Disney executive and co-founder of DreamWorks SKG, the app drew inspiration from Dan Brown's "The Da Vinci Code," which has more than 100 chapters averaging just five pages each.

The idea behind the service that has the entertainment world abuzz is to attract younger viewers who are always on the move.

Katzenberg said the platform will treat video storytelling like books, with longer stories broken into short chapters.
    https://techcrunch.com/2020/01/08/quibi-ces/

“[YouTube] is the most ubiquitous, democratized, incredibly creative platform,” Whitman told me. “But they make content for hundreds of dollars a minute. We make it for $100,000 a minute. It’s a whole different level — it’s Hollywood-quality content.”

On Quibi, there are three tiers of content — unscripted shows, movies delivered in short chapters and “Daily Essentials.”

On the unscripted side, you’ll find documentaries and docu-series, as well as other shows about food, fashion, travel, animals, cars, comedy, sports and more. Daily Essentials, meanwhile, deliver the day’s news and information — including also weather, sports and horoscopes — in five to six-minute “quick bites.”

That is, instead of releasing a two-hour film as a single, long video to consume, Quibi movies are told in seven to 10-minute segments. In year one, 35 of Quibi’s total 175 shows will be movies.

Every day, Quibi will deliver one episode of its movies told in chapters, plus five episodes of its episodic and unscripted series and 25 daily essentials. Combined, that’s more than three hours of premium, original content per day.

Does anyone else think that this is a stupid gimmick, and that it will actually thrive off of our cellphone addicted generation?

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/11/b...ronavirus.html

It only took a Quibi to figure out this platform was a bad idea.

Quibi fell out of the list of the 50 most downloaded free iPhone apps in the United States a week after it went live on April 6. It is now ranked No. 125, behind the game app Knock’em All and the language-learning app Duolingo, according to the analytics firm Sensor Tower.

Even with a free 90-day trial, the app has been installed by only 2.9 million customers, according to Sensor Tower. Quibi says the figure is more like 3.5 million. Of those who have installed the app, the company says 1.3 million are active users.

Mr. Katzenberg, 69, and Ms. Whitman, 63, the former Hewlett-Packard chief, raised nearly $1.8 billion from Hollywood studios and the Chinese e-commerce giant Alibaba for Quibi. They pitched it as an app designed to match how people consumed media now — on their phones during slow moments, while they commuted or waited in line.

Mr. Katzenberg said: Quibi will be less walled off from the internet, and users will be able to share its content on social media platforms.

“There are a whole bunch of things we have now seen in the product that we thought we got mostly right,” he said, “but now that there are hundreds of people on there using it, you go, ‘Uh-oh, we didn’t see that.’”

Quibi placed a large bet on news programming for a lineup of shows from NBC, BBC, Telemundo and ESPN that it filed under the name Daily Essentials. Interest in those segments has been minimal.

“The Daily Essentials are not that essential,” Mr. Katzenberg quipped.

A tech company, Eko, accuses Quibi of misappropriating trade secrets and infringing on the patent for the technology that allows viewers to shift seamlessly between horizontal and vertical viewing. The activist hedge fund Elliott Management has committed to funding a lawsuit filed by Eko.

A recent report found that Quibi had given away its customers’ email addresses without their knowledge. “As soon as we heard about it, we fixed it,” Mr. Katzenberg said.

As Zoom and TikTok top the app charts, Mr. Katzenberg and other Quibi executives have been working on reducing their projections from the seven million users and $250 million in subscriber revenue they had estimated for Quibi’s first year. With television and film production shut down almost entirely, Quibi has also decided to slow the pace of its new releases so it will be able to offer fresh content until the start of 2021.

When asked if the success of TikTok gave him pause, considering that it is also a platform built on short-form video, albeit of the user-generated variety, Mr. Katzenberg seemed momentarily steamed.

“That’s like comparing apples to submarines,” he said. “I don’t know what people are expecting from us. What did Netflix look like 30 days after it launched? To tell me about a company that has a billion users and is doing great in the past six weeks, I’m happy for them, but what the hell does it have to do with me?”

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Maybe pick a name for your curated YouTube app that doesn't looks like untranslated Chinese next time, you idiots.

I saw a ton of ads for this before I found out that it was a contraction of "quick bites." I honestly thought it was just Chinese VC run amok until then.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

It's not the worst conceptual idea. Like Movie Pass before it, they were trying to bottle lighting before it struck.

It's just you can pause literally EVERY OTHER STREAMING PLATFORM and pick it back up where you left off. My youtube TV app has done this for months now when I'm in the middle of an episode of BCS or Battlestar and have to go do something else.

If anything, quarantine should have made the app take off if it meant anything. Just too early for the idea to take off, and even worse execution.

Who really wants to watch Teigen play Judge Judy?

Limecat
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    Blog Entries

I hate the name. Its dumb. This isn't the early 2000s, no one wants that goofy title anymore. Should have just called it "Quick Bites". "Quibi" just sounds and looks stupid. I like the actors that I've seen commercials for but I can't bring myself to really care about this.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Also, it should be "kwee- bye" if it is a contraction of "kweek byets"

Similar to how shi-cah-go should be shi-town and not chi-town.

Unable to pause and restart is a huge failure. Never bothered to install so I didn't even realize that.

Quote Originally Posted by Takiwaki View Post
    Does anyone else think that this is a stupid gimmick, and that it will actually thrive off of our cellphone addicted generation?

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

Quote Originally Posted by Byrthnoth View Post
    Also, it should be "kwee- bye" if it is a contraction of "kweek byets"

Similar to how shi-cah-go should be shi-town and not chi-town.

Unable to pause and restart is a huge failure. Never bothered to install so I didn't even realize that.
    Wait do idiots seriously pronounce it 'chi' and not 'shy-town' Locals rarely use that short form anyway.

So what's this about a cute streaming platform aaaannddd its gone.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

I was curious about this platform as I've heard some interviews with the people making content for it.

You've got some good people like Tom Lennon and Will Forte working on content. Unfortunate that it isn't good. I was interested in the rebooted Reno 911, but I guess I'll hold off.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

RIP
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/quibi-w...nt-11603301946

Quibi Holdings LLC is shutting itself down, according to people familiar with the matter, a crash landing for a once-highflying entertainment startup that raised $1.75 billion in capital.

The streaming service has been plagued with problems since it launched in April, facing lower-than-expected viewership, disappointing download numbers and a lawsuit from a well-capitalized foe.

Called it

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I think everyone called it except for the people directly involved in the company.

Offering content specifically designed aimed at 10 or so minutes chunks isn't an awful idea, but making it the only content available on a platform and then restricting people's options to watch said content (since Quibi launched with people only being able to watch on a phone or tablet) is an awful business plan.

Pair all that up with a pandemic removing people's daily commute or small work breaks where the content was aimed at and baby you got a stew going

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

(since Quibi launched with people only being able to watch on a phone or tablet)
    Yeah, when I first heard about this service, I was kind of intrigued. Then I went trying to use it and came across those restrictions and was like "oh, never mind then". I might have ended up downloading one of the shows, but not sure if I ever watched.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

They upload most their content after it airs to their YouTube channel.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Gotta increase those residuals checks somehow.