Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cyn Dane
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I've been using Kjarr Crest Decay for it. I have Alatreon lance now, and it's better, but Decay works well.

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

I tried with a Safi lance with Elemental 4 x4 and Elemental 5 x1. Didn't weaken it enough.

I think I'm going to just say screw it. Too much of a pain to attempt solo and too many groups that wipe/don't use elemental weapons or I get DCed midfight

I'm surprised you've been having trouble finding people not using elemental. I'd say that's the one blessing I've had with randoms. Most I've done do use elemental weapons. That said of all randoms I've joined, probably around 20 I've only gotten about 3-4 clears. A few things I would say. Only join via SOS don't host your own, it gives you time to buff as you start in camp. Also try and pick SOS to join with smart looking weapons. Like I wouldn't join anyone using a R.Brachy weapon. Some things about Alatreon....

He has three forms. Fire, ice and dragon. Fire he is weak to ice, ice weak to fire and dragon is like two star to most things. If you can get his attacks down and can maintain pressure, use an Ice weapon. This is important as you'll do more damage than dragon when he's in fire and about the same when he's in dragon. None when he's in ice but if things go well that won't matter.

His horns, have nothing to do with his nova. However, if you break a horn he can't change forms for a bit and will go back to fire after his first nova. If you break his second, he can't go into ice at all allowing you to maximize ice damage. You can wall bang him but only in the part of the wall that sticks up or when he's in the air for a dunk. The general idea is soften his feet, front if you can as they have better hitzones and just do as much damage as you can. If you do enough to weaken his nova he'll have a special falldown animation. When he's down just go to town on his head for a horn break. If you can do that he'll never get an ice form and the ice weapon will do a lot more damage to his fire form. Rinse and repeat for most of the fight.

You unfortunately can't half ass the elemental weapon. You really need to stack as much elemental as you can. For example if using a Safi ice weapon. Do elemental awakens and use x6 elemental skills. A charm and single deco is enough.

All that said.... His gear kind of sucks except for 3-4 weapons. Though still nice to clear for clear's sake.

BG Level

Sometimes I get a few elemental attackers but for the most part it's people using dragon element thinking it's a good "in between" and not bothering with the horns during the phase shift.

Honestly I just want the LBG then this guy can rot for all I care.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cyn Dane
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Dragon is a good in between. It's less elemental damage than fire/ice, but you don't run the risk of being locked out by failing to break the horn.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Finally beat it. Did it with Japanese group which made it a joke. Took about 12 minutes. Fun when every on elemental weapons and know how to handle the nova.

Joining lobbies just for the fight is better than random search.

BG Level

For bowguns is it normal to see gray damage on non-softened areas?

EDIT: For Alteareon if I break both of his horns and don't have him dead by then will he be able to go from fire > dragon > ice > nova > dragon > fire > etc. without me having a means to control him?

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

After losing and hating the quest for first 24 hours. I now love the fight. I’ve killed it over 20 times now(I still lose or die).

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cyn Dane
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I've cleared it 15 times with randos, so it's not as hard as people are making it out to be. The mechanics are not so well thought out I think, but it's still doable, even with mediocre players.

Though I have noticed that a lot of the players that hit a brick wall in this fight are starting to get carried through to the event version of the fight where they don't belong because they never actually learned the fight.

This fight really is more of a puzzle than a fight. Alatreon is fun fight with cool moves, but if you don't solve the puzzle it's hard to win. Unless you go raw and just power through solo, dying to every Nova and kill him before you cart out three times. (Or more with safeguard insurance.) Once you learn the strategy it is a lot easier because there is very little variation in what he does.

Starts out Primary element(fire for special assignment), switches to dragon, nova's. If horn doesn't break, switches to opposite element and repeats. As long as you use his opposite weak element during his first phase and break his horn on the second it really makes the flight pretty paint by numbers. I think the biggest issue is the NPC dialogue does not explain it very well and even can lead to false assumptions.

BG Level

Finally beat hm with a LBG. I wasn't aware the Lunastra/Xeno gun had both rapid fire Fire/Ice ammo so got that sucker upgraded and downed him in around 32 minutes including waiting for cooldowns for food/etc.

Also got the Ala LBG fully upgraded. That gun is pure elemental sex.

Graduate of the BG School of FFXI
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Misses Beansman
    FFXIV Server
    Adamantoise
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

DPS checks in MH are dumb and Capcom should feel bad. The games already have a DPS check its called quest time.

It does make quest timer pointless which is mildly infuriating. If they wanted hunter's to feel a sense of urgency make it a shorter timer instead of "You have 50 minutes but the monster will leave or kill you before then and there is nothing you can do." I do find it ironic that when the math guys first started making sets MANY MH vets got mad, saying they forced MHW into a meta driven focus when all they were doing was providing math for set optimization. Now with behemoth MR KT and Alatreon Capcom seems to be leaning into min/maxing your sets. Though Alatreon is not nearly as bad as the previous two in sense of dps check.

BG Level

Are there any good text guides anywhere for weapons? Thinking since I have time to kill I should branch off from lance/LBG and try some other weapons.

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Much like the lack of a useful wiki, there is a lack of text guides.
    The monster hunter creator community is pretty heavy into the culture of making everything a youtube video.

BG Level

That sucks. Was hoping there'd be some good ones to read while in the training room instead of having to keep repeating specific parts of a vid

Alatreon was a good idea with bad execution.

Elemental DPS check I don't mind, but tying it to the 1 shot mechanic is annoying. If the fight takes a long time because you don't have the element you need right now, that should be your only issue. Then you have horn breaking with switching elements so if you don't break the horn you're going to get murdered.

If you had a way to completely avoid the attack it wouldn't be so bad. You could have elemental DPS checks be tied into rewards, breaking parts, attack intensity/radius or even just have bonus HP pools for forms, so if he switches from fire to ice you have to deal with a lot more dragon than before, but in no way should a fight be 1 shotting peeps. The mission timer exists for a reason, so even if it takes you a long time to get Alatreon into the correct element it should be possible to win as long as it doesn't take you 50 minutes. Breaking the horns could lock out 1 element completely, but if it takes you 40 minutes to do so because hitting the head is hard that should be on you, because if you can survive his normal attacks that long you're doing something...rightish.

The other annoying part is how "prepared" you are, but that stupidly doesn't include farcasters like...are you kidding me? If you have a farcaster it's because you want adapt to the situation. Elemental switching wouldn't be much of a problem if you could just farcaster to switch elements. You still need to be prepared in having farcasters and 2 viable elemental builds. Restocking ammo is a non-issue because you can craft a lot generally, but the back and forth between fight and item box is a tedium only ranged need to deal with, but Capcom fucked everyone over because of it (I'm assuming...idk really but it's really dumb).

The actual fight itself aside from dumb gimmicks is really good. The moves are well telegraphed, the hit boxes aren't crazy (even tho that dash can get fucked) and you can generally stay very offensive once you learn the fight. But mix all that in with elemental DPS checks and horn breaking and the ways you actually fight the monster are pretty limited especially solo.

More Monster Hunter, less gimmicks thanks.

I'm almost as bad as Mazmaz
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

i haven't fought the thing yet but it sounds like they could have easily gotten the same desired effect by simply having the horn break require elemental damage (exactly like how breaking ebony odogaron's head works). it would take the dps check out of it and still require you to use elemental, which i think is what they were looking for

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cyn Dane
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Elcura View Post
    Alatreon was a good idea with bad execution.

Elemental DPS check I don't mind, but tying it to the 1 shot mechanic is annoying. If the fight takes a long time because you don't have the element you need right now, that should be your only issue. Then you have horn breaking with switching elements so if you don't break the horn you're going to get murdered.

If you had a way to completely avoid the attack it wouldn't be so bad. You could have elemental DPS checks be tied into rewards, breaking parts, attack intensity/radius or even just have bonus HP pools for forms, so if he switches from fire to ice you have to deal with a lot more dragon than before, but in no way should a fight be 1 shotting peeps. The mission timer exists for a reason, so even if it takes you a long time to get Alatreon into the correct element it should be possible to win as long as it doesn't take you 50 minutes. Breaking the horns could lock out 1 element completely, but if it takes you 40 minutes to do so because hitting the head is hard that should be on you, because if you can survive his normal attacks that long you're doing something...rightish.

The other annoying part is how "prepared" you are, but that stupidly doesn't include farcasters like...are you kidding me? If you have a farcaster it's because you want adapt to the situation. Elemental switching wouldn't be much of a problem if you could just farcaster to switch elements. You still need to be prepared in having farcasters and 2 viable elemental builds. Restocking ammo is a non-issue because you can craft a lot generally, but the back and forth between fight and item box is a tedium only ranged need to deal with, but Capcom fucked everyone over because of it (I'm assuming...idk really but it's really dumb).

The actual fight itself aside from dumb gimmicks is really good. The moves are well telegraphed, the hit boxes aren't crazy (even tho that dash can get fucked) and you can generally stay very offensive once you learn the fight. But mix all that in with elemental DPS checks and horn breaking and the ways you actually fight the monster are pretty limited especially solo.

More Monster Hunter, less gimmicks thanks.
    The DPS check was worth it to watch Reddit have a collective meltdown when they couldn't beat it in 2 tries.

I don't think Capcom banned Farcasters from the fight to stop gunners from resupplying, I think it was specifically to force players to use a little bit of strategy. The only gunners that resupply a lot are sticky spammers, and having to stock up during the fight is their penance for choosing such a mind-numbingly boring and brainless way to play. Elemental gunners not being able to restock mats was just collateral damage, but they get the last laugh when they unlock Alatreon LBG.

I dunno if it forces strategy in the way they wanted since there's only 3 options, correct element, dragon element, or wrong element. It does kinda create a funny SoS environment of people just using paralysis and blast weapons, so in that sense it's doing something. Those are the people probably complaining the hardest about DPS checks, my only problem was how unprepared I was generally for elemental damage since I play GL. But you can't adjust to phase changes and the only way to switch is to die which is frankly just a super inelegant solution compared to using a farcaster, but I dunno if it would be a huge problem if they had just reframed DPS checks and horn breaks.

I honestly don't know what the reasoning was, sticky abuse seems like a good one to me but it probably is just to foster elemental weapon uses. The best time for us was having the quest switch from fire to ice during a run, so we ran into the next run (after ignoring daily login lol) immediately and got fucked.

Another thing about the DPS part but it also creates issues with weapon balance and further separates meta weapon types from everything else. While I liked having to learn to use my GL in a different way (pokes and upswings mostly) it didn't really... work? I mean it did but it didn't feel good leaving behind like 70% of my kit. But then I switch to LS or IG which I have less play time with but even without being as good I can immediately see better results for way less effort.

This monster is basically just a huge mess of mixed feelings, but I'd imagine due to the backlash they probably won't do this for the next monster (Fatalis? It's Fatalis isn't it).