+ Reply to Thread
    D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Dragon Quest: Of the Stars [iOS/Android]

Didn't see any thread with this, but apparently it's the English port of a JP DQ mobile game and is coming out Feb 25. Seems kinda like DFFOO kinda gameplay, hope it ends up being good.

Site: https://www.dragonquest.com/ofthestars/

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Download is out but it's servers are not up until the 25th.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Without looking at it too closely, the monthly auto-renew Star Pass unlocks auto-battle, turbo, and Metal priority targeting in auto.

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I grabbed the pass for the hell of it. It's DQ so I know I'll like it but still need to see how it'll play out for the first month.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

The first pass is free but Apple started this new thing where apps can have auto-renew subs and it's a pain in the ass to turn it off.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Need to pay a monthly fee for auto battle and fast forward?

Instant turnoff no thanks

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Prothescar View Post
    Need to pay a monthly fee for auto battle and fast forward?

Instant turnoff no thanks
    It's more of a sophisticated AI. You can auto but it only does basic attacks. You can skip stuff but there's a turbo for battles. The pass gives a faster auto, that uses skills, and prioritizes metal slimes and such. You get other things for $8-$9 but these are the big things.

My biggest issue is that Mobius, FFRK, FFBE, DBLegends, King of Fighters, and many other games make me want to stick with the game. This DQ games makes me want to stop playing and go play other DQ games. It's really weird.

Leader of the Brain Eating Space Monkeys
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Quote Originally Posted by theshun View Post
    It's more of a sophisticated AI. You can auto but it only does basic attacks. You can skip stuff but there's a turbo for battles. The pass gives a faster auto, that uses skills, and prioritizes metal slimes and such. You get other things for $8-$9 but these are the big things.

My biggest issue is that Mobius, FFRK, FFBE, DBLegends, King of Fighters, and many other games make me want to stick with the game. This DQ games makes me want to stop playing and go play other DQ games. It's really weird.
    I've been trying to sum up my time playing it and struggled, you've hit the nail on the head. Funnily enough I booted up DQXI last night for the first time in over a year!

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I do have to give some positive points that EVERY GAME IN EXISTENCE SHOULD COPY:

While getting gear seems impossible (there's so much), being able to make your gear LOOK like something you own is absolutely astonishingly awesome. And changing your character whenever you want. So, yeah, all this gear might be power crept in a month but in a few years, you can still rock the Day 1 DQ1 Dragon Helm with the best item stats.

I can play FFBE and Azur Lane for a couple hours then I need to charge my phone. King of Fighters maybe an hour from 100%-10%. But for DQ, I have been 3-4 hours and only used 50%. Seriously. However this happened, every game needs to steal this. I try to run what I can on PC, at home, because games are so hard on batteries.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Couldn't get this on my phone (too little space), but got it to work on my moms IPad (that she bought 2 years ago and never once used... ).

Really like it so far, haven't touched multi-player yet. Got lucky and went 4/11 on metal slime gear banner and got metal spear, bow, and boomerang.

From what I hear, you should pull on metal gear until you get 3 weapons and hoard gems till later banners. Metal weapons don't get powercrept since you need them to farm metal slimes.

Started playing this yesterday and I've overall say it falls into the trap of gacha RPGs in that while it may look like a PS1/2 game, it plays somewhere between an NES and SNES game.

Merely looking at it from the Dragon Quest perspective:
    - World exploration is largely lost.
    - Equipment progression is no longer based on dungeons you crawl through or new shops you reach, but instead by gacha. Which means you could find your endgame weapon first pull or not at all.
    - Grinding is gated between a mix of stamina and keys, so you can't just spend a few hours in a metal slime/babble area to power up without whaling.
    - Story is roughly equal to early era DQs, perhaps worse if you consider the removal of town exploration/NPC chatter.

Some more iteration unique flaws would be things like past activities not saving for map completion, an inability to target helpers with specific weapon types for certain mission objectives, what feels like a push to spam multiplayer, early crafting feels a mix of cumbersome and unrewarding (a la equipment issues), the battle UI is clunky with the scroll wheels, and probably a few other little things I'm forgetting off the top of my head. If the intent is to be a love letter to fans, I'd say SE dropped the ball here. At best, it feels like a time waster between other games.

Absolute Messenger of Promathia
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I've never played a Dragon Quest game so I can't be nostalgia baited. From my point of view, its charming but IDK if this is going to hook me... combat is a little too basic to really entertain, and the story is lite.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Combat gets pretty challenging on the higher difficulties. Vocation temple boss and Dragonlord get a powerful counter every time they lose a health bar and are very tanky, not to mention Dragonlord hero mode has 2 boss adds with him and 2 phases.

Anyway, DQ2 event drops in a few days.

Edit: Oh, PSA I forgot: The slime cookies from DQ1 have a hidden MP effect. If everyone brings the same cookie, it adds an extra 30 luck effect, so could eek out an extra MP treasure.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Someone posted on Reddit that the free gem limit is 30k gems. So any gems obtained after 30k is lost, so no way to super hoard f2p for future banners like DFFOO or FFRK.

Seems good TBH since the JP game is 4ish years old, so alot of foresight.

Edit: People are pointing out in game notice as saying limit is 99k combined for free + gem, so /shrug, could just be a glitch.

Probably done like 6 3k metal banner pulls and only gotten 2 weapons to show for it. Would be nice if the guaranteed was always a metal, but it seems more to draw from the general 5* pool.

Abbey fights are bullshit, too.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Went almost all in on the new Eldrick banner and my metal slime banner amazing luck got balanced by tons of bad pulls from this new banner. Toward the end though, I got lucky and got the new whip, Eldrick Helmet and the item I was after: the Gigaslash Eldrick sword!

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Wish I knew a tier list for upcoming banners

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

There is one on JP reddit (Game8 iirc is the site name) but it’s in JP and compares weapons to where JP is atm. The JP wiki lists Erdrick’s sword as 3rd best after reforge and alchemy.

But yeah, hopefully soon a wiki is made for GL and showcases upcoming banners and where they stand.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

So some things I've noticed from playing this:

Events DO count toward the rank up stamina board upon completion, including the legendary lvl 88 Hargon fight, saw my rank stamina go up by 1/5th upon beating it.

Revocation are in this game, but they don't reset your stats like other DQ games, I encountered a revocated superstar in MP and followed and looked at Vocation board, there is an additional revocation skill board. Meaning for revocated SS, lvl 10 gives +3 HP, 20 gives +3 STR, etc. What's important to note: you get more skill increases for your job upon revocation. So SS Revocated 40 gives healing dance lvl 7 and 80 gives lvl 7 stat buff dance.

TLDR: Revocation will give more then just bonus stats, but increase skill lvl for abilities

Edit: If you want good fast non metal slime exp, do the Alltrades Temple Vocation fights, they give huge amounts, just be aware, they are hard due to counters.

IMO Sage/Pirate/Paladin are hardest, Sage you MUST burst down once final bar hits, otherwise doublecast sizzle instant wipes, Pirate does 5x huge random target DMG per HP bar, Paladin does AOE huge DMG per HP bar.

Superstar gains huge evasion on final HP bar, MonsterMasher does fire breath each HP bar, Battlemaster increases ATK, and Armentalist.... IDR lol, I think he just increases mDEF.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Copied from user named Dudebag1234 on DQoTS Reddit for some good PSA for jobs and future banners, don't know if anyone else still plays, but thought it was good to post anyway.

everyone is playing battlemaster so im going to leave some feedback based on japanese site.

Battlemaster - Requires very high gacha investments. Japanese people spent thousands of $ to get gears. NoT worth for non gacha nor mid gacha players. S tier only at highest gears equipped. Low HP low defence.

Paladin - Very defensive, High HP, low attack capability. Great for non gacha players. Good for protecting superstar,mage ,even battlemaster.

Sage - Highest burst damage possible in game. Requires a great staff. recommended for non gahca or gacha heavy players.

Armamentalist - Reqires strong attack spell + gears to be viable. Recommended for gacha players.

Pirate - Strongest class in game. A must have class for every players. Weak to player buff erase skill that bosses use but high stats cover its weakness.

Monster Master - Requires some specific gacha gears. Great debuffer. Not great choice for non - gacha.

Superstar - Great healer + some decent attack capabililty but very low defence. Highly recommended for non-gacha players.

Gadabout - A meme class. The creator purposely put high wall like a year of play time to acquire the tome. Also difficult to level. high luck tho.

Recommended Classes for non,mid gacha players:

Pirate + Paladin/Sage/Superstar.

"""VERY IMPORTANT""

Tips for what to spend w/ gems.

Save your gems for future gacha.

Metal slime gacha is okay but the main shield that gives exp bonus is missing. Nice to have at least one weapon tho.

May 27th is the anniversary for DQ games. they host insane gacha event. save gems for it.

Near year's eve or New year's day are major in Japan. DQ hosts big evens during those times.

Some gacha event will have guaranteed drops of multiple 5 star gears. wait for those events if you have gears you want.