Closed Thread
Page 4 of 151 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 ... LastLast
    Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

That may be true. They use hospitilizations, specifically people admitted into the hospital. Anyone coming to the ER and testing positive for flu but not sick enough to require inpatient hospital care wouldn't be in the category, so that category is only the sickest of the sick- most likely very elderly patients with a lot of other comorbidities. Although this years flu has a spike in 20 somethings getting severely sick as well.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Restrat View Post
    That may be true. They use hospitilizations, specifically people admitted into the hospital. Anyone coming to the ER and testing positive for flu but not sick enough to require inpatient hospital care wouldn't be in the category, so that category is only the sickest of the sick- most likely very elderly patients with a lot of other comorbidities. Although this years flu has a spike in 20 somethings getting severely sick as well.
    Hospitalization = Admitted to the hospital

Banned.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Boyiee View Post
    Got a source/link for flu numbers by chance? His numbers are way off but the ones I had from cdc from Oct to now are also slightly hard to use because they have large discrepancies.
    https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/index.htm

CDC estimates that so far this season there have been at least 15 million flu illnesses, 140,000 hospitalizations and 8,200 deaths from flu.

Banned.

BG Level

To put in perspective, if similar amount of people got the novel coronavirus, given current data, approx 40,000 people would die from it. End of humanity? No, but would certainly overwhelm our health systems pretty quickly if outbreak was concentrated.

BG Level

To put it even more into perspective, of the 15 million flu cases <1% were hospitalized and only a little over 0.5% (a half a percent) died.

Given that EDs are almost universally at a saturation point, I agree it wouldn't take much to overwhelm current facilities.

Heck, our hospital is already at overflow.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Heavencloud View Post
    80 dead / 3k confirmed cases now
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-51275896

106 dead and 4,515 cases. Chinese state media says only 60 of the cases have recovered so far.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

I saw a post on facebook that they already developed a vaccine for it. Then shortly after that was posted an anti-vaxxer chimed in about some deep state conspiracy to spread this virus to force more vaccines on us...

BG Level

Developing.

Again. Coronaviruses are generally poor candidates for vaccines since they are highly mutable and generally harmless to most people. In fact, the cost for developing such a thing would be far more than education and medical management in the general population.

The time until approval would take at least 3-6 months of trials followed by 3 months before enough of an immune response is generated to be protective.

By that point it's not likely to be a problem anymore.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by kuronosan View Post
    Developing.

Again. Coronaviruses are generally poor candidates for vaccines since they are highly mutable and generally harmless to most people. In fact, the cost for developing such a thing would be far more than education and medical management in the general population.

The time until approval would take at least 3-6 months of trials followed by 3 months before enough of an immune response is generated to be protective.

By that point it's not likely to be a problem anymore.
    Thanks for clarifying all that. It is good to know. Mostly I was flabbergasted by the stupid fucking anti-vaxxer. Though I know I shouldn't be surprised by their stupidity at this point.

BG Level

Yea, I get it.

It's worth pursuing a vaccine if they think it'll stop a pandemic but if the virus mutates before they contain it, something that could easily happen before approval, then literally all their work was for nothing.

Edit: also, if a person gets the vaccine and builds up immunity there's no guarantee they'll stay immune specifically because of strain mutability.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51299635

200 American citizens who were evacuated out of Wuhan, China will be placed into quarantine for up to 72 hours and up to two weeks in isolation. They're being kept in Riverside, California.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Obligatory - 132 deaths & 5,974 cases with another 9,239 suspected

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by 6souls View Post
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51299635

200 American citizens who were evacuated out of Wuhan, China will be placed into quarantine for up to 72 hours and up to two weeks in isolation. They're being kept in Riverside, California.
    Good. Fuck Riverside.

In all seriousness though, this why overwhelming the hospital system is a bad thing.

Banned.

BG Level

Good. Fuck Riverside.

In all seriousness though, this why overwhelming the hospital system is a bad thing.
    lol
    Even more glad I didn't match in Riverside (it was near last anyway) lmao.

Banned.

BG Level

# cases has passed SARS now
    Much lower mortality at this point, though sequelae of infection / recovery period unclear at this point

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Heavencloud View Post
    # cases has passed SARS now
    Much lower mortality at this point, though sequelae of infection / recovery period unclear at this point
    We have one suspected case here in the Midwest, so we'll see what it turns up.

Everyone buying up surgical masks like the plague is coming but tell them about flu season deadliness and they're like "nah I'm good I've never gotten sick".

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

people are fucktarded. during the ebola outbreak a few years ago, you wouldn't believe the dumb shit i heard come out of the mouths of medical professionals at every level. it's legit terrifying.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

World health organization has declared it a global health crisis after the first U.S. person to person case.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

We have one suspected case here in the Midwest, so we'll see what it turns up.
    Minnesota had 2 earlier in the week that were cleared and Chicago has that 1 confirmed.

Tekki's Bitch
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

i've never had a flu shot, why would i pay to get sick smh

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 151 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 ... LastLast