+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast
    Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by Ratatapa View Post
    The other are what 45min?
    Looks to be anywhere from 47-60 minutes from what I found online.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

How many episodes is the season? I'm typing out my review as I watch. No real spoilers included but I'm genuinely looking forward to the ep.

I really enjoyed this episode. The little world building and time to expand the the relations was a real welcome, as well as the build up to the eventual outbreak was really nice.

I don't recall but was it hinted at that Tommy and Joe were ex-army in the game at this point? We see it on the back (trunk? I dunno what you call it) where there was sticker on so that tells the audience. At the same time, as players we knew from the events in game of the army stuff so they were more than capable of taking care of themselves.

The use of the dog to tell the audience that they can detect bad is another nice welcome, but probably cliched at this point for this media, but still.

Using Tommy as an excuse to remove Joel from the home at midnight was a good excuse (I don't recall knowing why Joel suddenly showing up otherwise besides to rescue his daughter, which was natural of course but we don't know what he was doing prior).

When shit started going down it was real good, I really enjoyed that too. Very tense and such. The initial car scene was near 1:1 too; in live action we're granted the luxury of seeing Joel and Tommy's face as they drive which enhances the scene. I didn't remember the planes flying by and nor did I remember what caused the first explosion so to see a plane go down like that was awesome.

The first time we see Joel post time skip, wow, that really helped drill the point down on how he has changed. All the little bits to show how what life is like was really welcoming, it helps enhance what we know of the game. And whatever shit was going on (I can sort of guess) between that and then seeing Ellie getting introduced, amazing too! I did't foresee that happening.

The "subplot" of Joel trying to get to Tommy is a nice addition.

When I saw the Fireflies base and Marlene's actor, I was like "is that her HER?" and then googled. And oh wow they used the voice and I presume motion capture actress here! (I never bothered to check who was cast as who) so that was a very nice surprise. I need to look up who else reprised their roles (I presume the black lady that talks to Marlene in their first scene is too, I swear she looks familiar and is in game)

The mention of Riley is cool

The eventual meet up, I didn't expect it to be like that but it works. I just love how knowing what they took out from the game and remixed it and thinking how it will end up in the MSQ

Oh man oh man as I type this I'm just thinking how would part 2 play out haha, it's exciting to see it all portrayed and remixed a little. I can't wait for the next episode because that should be a bunch of shit talk for a bit to establish the characters more.

I was chatting to my brother in law about this and I said that if we took out the gameplay this should only be a 6-7 hour story tops so if it's like 6-9 episodes I think we can cover it.

Besides the initial infected they fight and glimpses of the infected, and a wall infected, I'm surprised by the lack of use in this first ep; I thought they would introduce a couple of full fledged ones to hook the none gamers.

Actually, at this point I'm unsure if the audience would be mainly the gamers given its fanbase, or none gamers, haha.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

re episode lengths i think only the first 3 are hard confirmed but rumored lengths have been accurate thus far. couple minute variability either way with credits.

Episode 1: 81 minutes (Confirmed)
    Episode 2: 55 minutes (Confirmed)
    Episode 3: 77 minutes (Confirmed)
    Episode 4: 46 minutes
    Episode 5: 59 minutes
    Episode 6: 59 minutes
    Episode 7: 56 minutes
    Episode 8: 51 minutes
    Episode 9: 43 minutes

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Andalusian girls View Post
    re episode lengths i think only the first 3 are hard confirmed but rumored lengths have been accurate thus far. couple minute variability either way with credits.

Episode 1: 81 minutes (Confirmed)
    Episode 2: 55 minutes (Confirmed)
    Episode 3: 77 minutes (Confirmed)
    Episode 4: 46 minutes
    Episode 5: 59 minutes
    Episode 6: 59 minutes
    Episode 7: 56 minutes
    Episode 8: 51 minutes
    Episode 9: 43 minutes
    I can work with that. Wonder why 3 also gets the long treatment...!

Extra stuff:

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    I can work with that. Wonder why 3 also gets the long treatment...!
    I'm noticing that more stream only shows are doing this and Stranger Things comes to mind with its newest season. I'm assuming that since commercials aren't as much of a restriction or having to schedule around other shows that show runners realized they can just make episode "about an hour but plus or minus 30 minutes to say what needs to be said within the context of a single episode."

I'd be willing to bet after we see episode 3 that the length just makes sense.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

They could cover Bill (trapper guy) next episode, while episode 3 might focus on

Spoiler: show
    Henry and Sam, leading up to their deaths. The two chapters they're in are some of the longest in the game, and that allows for some character building to play the heart strings again.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    I'm noticing that more stream only shows are doing this and Stranger Things comes to mind with its newest season. I'm assuming that since commercials aren't as much of a restriction or having to schedule around other shows that show runners realized they can just make episode "about an hour but plus or minus 30 minutes to say what needs to be said within the context of a single episode."

Oh I see, I didn't know too much about this sort of stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Uzor View Post
    They could cover Bill (trapper guy) next episode, while episode 3 might focus on Henry and Sam The two chapters they're in are some of the longest in the game, and that allows for some character building to play the heart strings again.
    Aside from them showing us more stuff for world building, I feel like next episode might end on Register to see the NSFW content

And I enjoy trying to predict these type of things knowing what's generally going to happen, I'll lay out my prediction too!

Spoiler: show
    Ep 2 will end with Tess dying
    Ep 3 will cover Bill, Henry, Sam
    Ep 4 will finish covering Henry, Sam and should lead up to Tommy's place
    Ep 5 Tommy's place/under attack, more travel
    Ep 6 Joel getting seriously injured
    Ep 7 Solo Ellie ep plus her run in with those creeps
    Ep 8 Reunite of Ellie and Joel as he recovers > set out to the final bit of the game
    Ep 9 Hospital fight, drive away, and maybe a cliffhanger of Abby overlooking the place

hey can we spoiler this stuff

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

yeah that's not fucking cool

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

adjusted, sorry. just keep more thinking that most of us that would watch it would be players so i approached it like we're all players of the game already

BG Level

all good just ye we should def keep game spoilers in tags going forward, not everyone has played. about a third of my nerd friends somehow missed it including sweet Panda.

Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post

I wouldn't be surprised if there's some metric that shows people drop a show after x episodes, so pad x a bit in hopes they stay.

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

My friend who hasnt played the game. "This doesn't feel like a game adaptation at all"

Ya well, thats what happens when the game itself was pretty cinematic lol

Liked the first ep a lot. Probably would've skipped it like most vidya adaptation but they got me with Pedro Pascal.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrath View Post
    My friend who hasnt played the game. "This doesn't feel like a game adaptation at all"

Ya well, thats what happens when the game itself was pretty cinematic lol

Liked the first ep a lot. Probably would've skipped it like most vidya adaptation but they got me with Pedro Pascal.
    Yea people are failing to realize that many games now have such high production values and are created very similarly to movies in that aspect. I find it amusing how people are going crazy about tlou being an amazing adaptation for a game when honestly for the most part, the stuff that makes it good (and adapting it to live action successfully) was already done.

Tekki's Bitch

BG Level

i have several friends that have watched the entire gameplay on youtube but never played the game. i think many are familiar with some games leanings towards the cinematic

Shout-out to /r/GamesTheMovie

Back in the day when FFX came out, there were bootleg dvd's with just the cut scenes of the game selling at mall kiosks for people to buy and watch.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Takiwaki View Post
    Back in the day when FFX came out, there were bootleg dvd's with just the cut scenes of the game selling at mall kiosks for people to buy and watch.
    I own a copy off ebay, I couldn't afford a PS2 and game back then so I really enjoyed having such a DVD. It was 8 hours long split into 2 discs! All battles are cut naturally as is sidequests but it did the job.

Tekki's Bitch

BG Level

not a single post after ep 2. that bad huh?

Wife and I really enjoyed it (we both have never played the games)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag