+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Honestly, I was hoping for about that long of a game, so I'm good with that play time. You already know if this game was 60 hours, people would be complaining like crazy about padding and stretching out nothing. I mean just look at people already complaining about it for 35 hours.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

I’m on chapter 9 and I’ve done 21 hours, taking my sweet time lol.

Anyone got any tips for fighting Shiva?

Edit: changed chapter, went off the sector I was in (sector 6) and didn’t check the chapter.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I just equipped Elemental Materia together with Fire. Dodge her attacks (the stun move is super important to dodge), cast some fire and attack away. I did equip Ifrit too, but she died before I could summon him.

When she gets close to dying she goes into rage mode and starts spamming Heavenly Strike and some other moves, so if you're going to use Ifrit, you should save it for then.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Quote Originally Posted by Uzor View Post
    I just equipped Elemental Materia together with Fire. Dodge her attacks (the stun move is super important to dodge), cast some fire and attack away. I did equip Ifrit too, but she died before I could summon him.

When she gets close to dying she goes into rage mode and starts spamming Heavenly Strike and some other moves, so if you're going to use Ifrit, you should save it for then.
    Thanks for the info. I’m just gonna finish getting firaga (100 points away) and then try again.

True skill only comes from macro switching all your e-peen gear thru 10 pages
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

So in the original I've always liked Rude, and in this new version where they get to flesh out characters more... he's so baddass! OMG this game is making me squee like a lil'school girl.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Laugana View Post
    Thanks for the info. I’m just gonna finish getting firaga (100 points away) and then try again.
    You should be fine with just Fira. The most important thing is dodging her abilities, if you time Fira correctly she falls to the ground for a few seconds which gives you time to pound away at her and break her.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Can anyone explain how Synergy Materia works?

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

It feels very weird that Barret is essentially a tank in this game

It feels very weird that Barret is essentially a tank in this game
    He really isnt, and do not make the mistake I saw some noob streamers do and make one character tank one healer one dps.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

FFX-2 Easter Egg found

Spoiler: show

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Takiwaki View Post
    He really isnt, and do not make the mistake I saw some noob streamers do and make one character tank one healer one dps.
    He really is though, it's the way he's designed. No, you shouldn't make one character a healer, one a tank and one a DPS, but Barret's abilities are designed around protecting the rest of the team. It's why he gets Lifesaver (which takes damage in place of other party members), his first ability (can't recall the name) that lowers the damage he takes, and why Provoke exists (which provokes enemies when an ally drops to low health). Throw on the accessory that lowers damage he takes when not an active character and you have a tank that deals really good damage with his Big Bertha weapon. His weapon cores gives a lot of defense, health and attack power, which makes him much b etter at taking damage than, say, Aerith.

All things considered, it's obvious Square designed him to be a tank of the team, the same way they intend for Aerith to be the magic caster since all of her abilities and weapons are focused around increasing the effects of magic. And no, that doesn't mean make her a healer, it means make her a magic caster. No other character does it as well as her. It's quite clear which role they intend each character to have:

Cloud: All-rounder
    Tifa: Burst DPS
    Barret: Tank
    Aerith: Glass canon

Tank in this sense does not mean that he doesn't deal damage. He does. It's just that his abilities are good at soaking damage for the rest of the team, which also makes him a tank.

He really is though, it's the way he's designed. No, you shouldn't make one character a healer, one a tank and one a DPS, but Barret's abilities are designed around protecting the rest of the team. It's why he gets Lifesaver (which takes damage in place of other party members), his first ability (can't recall the name) that lowers the damage he takes, and why Provoke exists (which provokes enemies when an ally drops to low health). Throw on the accessory that lowers damage he takes when not an active character and you have a tank that deals really good damage with his Big Bertha weapon. His weapon cores gives a lot of defense, health and attack power, which makes him much b etter at taking damage than, say, Aerith.

All things considered, it's obvious Square designed him to be a tank of the team, the same way they intend for Aerith to be the magic caster since all of her abilities and weapons are focused around increasing the effects of magic. And no, that doesn't mean make her a healer, it means make her a magic caster. No other character does it as well as her. It's quite clear which role they intend each character to have:

Cloud: All-rounder
    Tifa: Burst DPS
    Barret: Tank
    Aerith: Glass canon

Tank in this sense does not mean that he doesn't deal damage. He does. It's just that his abilities are good at soaking damage for the rest of the team, which also makes him a tank.
    I understand what you mean. That kind of sucks in a way also, as it may push new players to focus each character as a specific archtype and when the party splits up later on it will make some bosses hell to deal with.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

To be fair, almost the entire game characters are split up.

Also; was it ever hinted in the original that there's more to Marlene? The game seem to hint at Marlene either being an ancient (how though?) or otherwise have some special abilities. Aerith got her powers of being able to speak with spirits and knowing things when she was around Marlene's age, and Marlene got a vision or something about Aerith when she touched her that caused her to shrug, and later on told Barret that there was something about Aerith (we're never told what, she said "never mind" before telling Barret what it was).

Granted, it could be Aerith's power leaking over to Marlene, but it feels strange that they would throw those scenes in if there's nothing more to Marlene.

To be fair, almost the entire game characters are split up.

Also; was it ever hinted in the original that there's more to Marlene? The game seem to hint at Marlene either being an ancient (how though?) or otherwise have some special abilities. Aerith got her powers of being able to speak with spirits and knowing things when she was around Marlene's age, and Marlene got a vision or something about Aerith when she touched her that caused her to shrug, and later on told Barret that there was something about Aerith (we're never told what, she said "never mind" before telling Barret what it was).

Granted, it could be Aerith's power leaking over to Marlene, but it feels strange that they would throw those scenes in if there's nothing more to Marlene.
    I think its more to do with Aerith like how when Cloud touched her he could see the Keepers of fate.

Copy pasted this from other sources and seems legit

Spoiler: show
    Throughout the story, the 'keepers of fate' who are represented as spirits/ghosts show up at pivotal moments in the storyline to prevent changes from happening to the story. The first change has to do with aeris meeting cloud. She doesnt leave immediately after cloud tells her to go, and as a result, the shinra troops find cloud while aerith Is still present. Its at this point that the keepers show up and scare aeris away. Odd, right?

Next scene with the keepers is in the slums, Jessie gets injured so Cloud takes her place for the mission the the next reactor, again the keepers are controlling and bending fate to their will.

After that, the next time we see them is in the church after cloud defeats Reno. Cloud is about to kill reno and the keepers show up and drag him and aeris away to the back room.

1 more example is hojo is about to reveal to cloud and company that he was never in soldier, then he is taken away by the keepers.

At this point, id like you to acknowledge that events are playing out differently to the original and if the keepers were not there to stop said events from transpiring, the story would change dramatically. The puprose of the watchers is to keep the events of the original FFVII in line with the original.

The ending reveals that sephiroth (and to a lesser extent, aerith) are aware of this. Sephiroth knows that he loses in the end if the keepers continue to preserve the events of this ff7 timeline, so he forces cloud and company to fight them.

After the party defeats them, they fight an advent children style sephiroth, even the FINAL battle against Sephiroth in the original is shown, which would confirm that the Remake cant end now in that EXACT same way, the main cast all see a premonition of Aeriths death and the ending of the original FFVII where RED XIII is running through the wilderness, with the actual video clips from the original game itself being used, RED says that its a "glimpse into the future if we fail here today".During the fight once one of the arbitrators are defeated you see the lake in which Aerith is laid to rest yett you can see a stream of light where her body should have been but it clears up almost as if to show that "that future" is now cancelled out,
    then you see a remade scene of where Sephiroth drops down to stab Aerith expect Aerith isn't there and its cloud holding out his sword.

Eventually the keepers are defeated and the skies becoming clear, its Insinuated that because they no longer exist, the original timeline and events of FFVII are not going to happen as they did in the original because now the keepers aren't able to bend the narrative to their will anymore and its clear as day that effectively you've defeated the original fate of the main characters and now a new/alternate path awaits. The ff7 you have been playing was never the one you thought it was, and only happened because the keepers tried to keep events the same. Now they are dead and going forward from here means anything can happen, the game ends with clear skies and they say that an UNKNOWN journey awaits them. Essentially they characters have broken free of the contraints of the original FFVII storyline.

I think this was the whole point of letting old players know that anything could happen, it was a bit convoluted at the end but as shown in this post, quite early on you'll get the idea that these new elements being added are going to change the original narrative and by the 3/4 of the game you'll know its not going to end as the original did when your're on the highway out of Midgar.

As for sephiroth and cloud fighting on the edge of creation and sephiroth asking for clouds help, this part is tricky, i see it as a potential redemption arc to fight a greater threat or another version of himself this is one for speculation. Sephiroth should be the main villain so I'm not 100% sure bout this.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Interesting, but that still doesn't explain why they specifically showed Marlene having a vision (although we can't see what the vision is, it's just a flash). They could have skipped that part since it serves no purpose with the narrative outlined in that post, so I still feel it hints at something more.

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Yeah all that shit is legit. If we could post webms I would have tossed up the scarlet ones I have by now and that red 13 scene.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

There has always been an argument about Marlene being a Cetra. It was sparked again when Advent Children came out because she has the same haircut as Aerith (she has the same bow, she tends to the flowers the same, and she flat-out calls Cloud on his bullshit and cuts straight to the point; Aerith's theme plays when Marlene is on-screen). One of the biggest pieces of evidence is when Aerith goes to Sector 7 before the plate collapses and grabs Marlene. Marlene holds the White Materia (I think, ultimate compendium holds this detail). It also states that Aerith holds the same abilities as Sephiroth so Aerith could have Marlene be her remnant.

https://thelifestream.net/lifestream...-translations/

Edit: It's been a long time since I looked at this stuff and I never got to read the ultimania but I guess everyone was/is a Cetra but lost their power and can all be reawakened. The Cetra being aliens was a mistranslation because when we got "Planet" is really meant "of the land."

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

yeah boy

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Looks like Katie Rodgers from Arrow (Laurel Lance/Black Canary) with a bigger chest.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I am loving Nanaki, he's so awesome. He was my favorite character in the original, and I'm loving him even more now.