Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Exoduso Fenice
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

This game is insanely good up until you walk through Aerith/Sephiroth's portal.
    Then we entered Nomura's fucking KH3 funhouse. He even threw in a fucking Darkside for good measure.
    Couldn't they just have kept everything as is, maybe including a random Sephiroth boss fight towards the end but not the HOLY SHIT ONE WINGED ANGEL METEOR-SUMMONING version. How do we even go on from here? lol.
    One thing I did like that Nomura added was a bunch of Sephiroth's KH moves, like Heartless Angel.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

The more I do this hard play through and really think about the battle system, and world, and story...especially from the annoyance of hard mode...the more I start to get really pessimistic about parts 2 and 3 in an open world.

Cake Mix
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Why do people keep namedropping Nomura as if he's the sole reason the game is what it is?

Do people forget Nojima wrote FF7/Crisis Core/Advent Children, etc? and he's the writer here? Like..I mean sure, shit on Nomura for his past with Kingdom Hearts bs, but he's more of a director/doing the characters/what not here. I dunno why in the world it annoys me as much as it does, but yeah, lol.

The Dementor Super Boss was pretty w/e, and went on a bit long, but I thought the Seph fight, and the meaning behind it, and changing things was an interesting touch, and there's plenty of places they can take this game in further games. Also, I wouldn't even consider the next ones "part 2" and "part 3" but.. it's probably gonna be a similar saga to XIII, XIII-2, Lightning Returns, etc.

And if they'd kept this part the same and ended it after that marathon fucking bike chase, even if OG people knew it was ending then, that would have been the most boring meh finish of all time.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Hioki Mitone
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Destromath

Quote Originally Posted by Gokulo View Post
    Yeah, resting doesn't recover it at all in Hard Mode. Basically you need to ignore magic spells, unless the mob really requires it. Instead use Elemental materia to target weakness. Make use of Pray and Chakra as much as possible for healing.
    Not certain if it's been mentioned but Trade-Off helps alleviate some of the mp loss throughout the chapters as well. You're generally taking 'significant' damage so you almost always gain some small portion of mp. Additionally the weapons tend to have a small MP refresh on top of it. I didn't really notice a shortage of mp but I've just started in on CH7 HM.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

To be fair, Directors have the final say as to what goes in the game. Nojima can write all the ero fanfic he wants; if the Director and Producer say no, that's that.

People cite Nomura because of the KH plot fuckery that goes on over there. Its quackery given flesh and form, and we really didn't want it to spill over into 7.

Quote Originally Posted by Akiyama View Post
    Why do people keep namedropping Nomura as if he's the sole reason the game is what it is?

Do people forget Nojima wrote FF7/Crisis Core/Advent Children, etc? and he's the writer here? Like..I mean sure, shit on Nomura for his past with Kingdom Hearts bs, but he's more of a director/doing the characters/what not here. I dunno why in the world it annoys me as much as it does, but yeah, lol.

The Dementor Super Boss was pretty w/e, and went on a bit long, but I thought the Seph fight, and the meaning behind it, and changing things was an interesting touch, and there's plenty of places they can take this game in further games. Also, I wouldn't even consider the next ones "part 2" and "part 3" but.. it's probably gonna be a similar saga to XIII, XIII-2, Lightning Returns, etc.

And if they'd kept this part the same and ended it after that marathon fucking bike chase, even if OG people knew it was ending then, that would have been the most boring meh finish of all time.
    Nomura is the credited director of the remake while also being among the staff of co-writers along with Nojima. It’s worth mentioning that Tetsuya Nomura and Kazushige Nojima are both close friends in real life. Nomura has gone on record about how he feels a certain way about the original Final Fantasy 7 (doesn’t like it, hates its, etc) and given his status and his influence I wouldn’t be surprised if he roped in Nojima with the changes. Nomura has no incentive to change his directing or storytelling methods. None of his games have ever sold poorly. Square loves him.

Nomura was only a character designer in the original FF7 while Nojima was among the co-writers. The difference was Sakaguchi was overseeing the production and among the co-writers was none other than Masato Kato of Chrono Trigger and Xenogears fame. Square would have done well to have rehired Kato to be a co-writer or at least oversee the script changes to help keep the nonsense out of the remake.

Regardless, it’s almost guaranteed that all of Chapter 18 was Nomura’s idea or at least Nomura and Nojima being influenced by him. It’s got his signature all over it.

Anyways, I’m replaying the game on Hard mode now because while I am still kind of broke about the ending, the rest of the game is a blast and I want to enjoy it.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Antithesis View Post

Anyways, I’m replaying the game on Hard mode now because while I am still kind of broke about the ending, the rest of the game is a blast and I want to enjoy it.
    Pretty much. Let's just pretend that chapter doesn't exist.

Not sure how I feel about the ending, I like the idea of changing shit up significantly but I'm also worried it could go full KH and while I love KH and the dumb shit it does, it's only OK in that game. Personally I would be fine with this twist if it was less...KH meets Advent Children.

Some of that shit is cool but when Cloud can barely climb up plates without being saved or falling the rest of the shit that happens there is like...oh ok. The end fight with Sephiroth I liked but I know the restraint to keep the final fight down to earth is basically not there so we have some giant boss BS before it.

Overall game is a 7/10, would've been 8 or 9 if it stuck the landing without all that weird ghost fate shit. We'll see where it goes, I have a feeling that like the new star wars I'll know by the next one whether I give a shit.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

I’ve been replaying chapters to get achievements, was pleasantly surprised to find out you don’t need to get a perfect score in the dance game to get Andrea’s trophy, I got 2 goods and 2 bads and still got it.

Will retry the pull ups game at some point...

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

To me it feels like the bike trophy will be the hardest to get, lol. Unless you can lower the difficulty and still get it.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Gokulo View Post
    To me it feels like the bike trophy will be the hardest to get, lol. Unless you can lower the difficulty and still get it.
    Supposedly you can. This is my fear as well lol

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Lol, watch Aerith live now at the cost of Tifa.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Quote Originally Posted by SathFenrir View Post
    Supposedly you can. This is my fear as well lol
    You can get it on easy mode which I did....

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Have not played yet, so don't know how far off base this idea is. But in reading the spoilers (I'm indifferent, being spoiled on a changed game I've already played is way different from a brand new game being spoiled.) with all the dementors and potential timeline fuckery...

What if FF7R is just this game? Midgar only, one release, and that's it. Because the next release is going to be the "reimagined prologue" of FF7R alongside a completed story repackaged as FFXVI.

Basically, this is FF7R's Ground Zeroes to the larger FFXVI Phantom Pain.

No thanks

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

I just felt this was so perfect, it has minor gripes like the camera and the forced walking/slow moving thru the game but I loved it. I feel a story change coming along like others have said, I don't mind too much honestly as the original was really convoluted anyways. Something new and fresh would be nice. The combat felt so satisfying to me outside of the interrupts on spells, which I'm sure they'll iron out with the feedback.

Hands down best place to farm AP is at the very beginning of Chapter 16 against the Shinra Soldiers in the garage on Hard mode. Slap Firaga + Magnify on someone and everything literally melts and you get 20 - 30 AP per two soldiers you kill and there's plenty. It's amazing.

Banned.

BG Level

Spoiler: show
    8.5/10
    +visuals
    +music
    +nostalgia
    + dialogue (enjoyable cheesiness)
    + voice acting
    +/- story. ending is weird but leaves a lot up to interpretation so hard to say. if i had to bet, that's a sephiroth clone, and zack was heading to the afterlife, not actually alive
    +/- gameplay. overally pretty enjoyable but need poise or something, getting abilities interrupted all the time is really annoying
    overall, enjoyable, could've been way way way worse. most everything worked very well for me

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Litz Zatsuza
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Just finished the game a few hours ago. Bahamut pissed me the fuck off. Then later found out he pissed everyone off so I felt better afterwards

Did this get posted already? Seems like a decent analysis of the ending.

Never even thought about the dementors/Whispers being kind of like us, the OG players, making sure the story doesn't deviate from the original.

I would've preferred just staying with the same exact story, but now that it's clear we're not getting that, I'm kind of looking forward to what happens next. I'm just hoping that major events still occur the same, like Weapons coming out and Aerith dying, but with all that new stuff happening around it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 52 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast