+ Reply to Thread
    You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Check your auto policies (Covid rebates)

A lot of car insurance companies are giving a rebate since none of us are driving.

I can say Geico is giving a 15% return that will update automatically once your policy renewal kicks in.

I am hearing some companies require you to request the refund, so you should check.

Formerly BGTemp // TERA Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

USAA gave rebate back. Like all end of year rebates it'll just credit your account.

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

15% on what? Liability? Comprehensive? Collision? Roadside? Point is, it's not a flat percentage of whatever premium is. Also, they are not legally allowed to give any money back. Less premium moving forward, sure. To give money back would fall under rebating, which is illegal in the majority of the states. It's why any time your auto/home insurance had let's just say a goof on your bill, you never get money put back into your account. It always goes as credit to the next bill, never a refund. However, and this is optimism speaking, maybe something has been worked out where a portion of premium already paid will be refunded/returned. In eight years of working in personal insurance I have never seen that happen so I personally don't see it happening, at least in Michigan.

It is also very important to understand the language used in whatever "assistance" is being offered. For instance, some insurance companies are allowing premiums to be "deferred", meaning that money will be owed eventually most likely. If people are need any help they can get then this is another positive because lord knows a lot of people need a lot of help right now.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    15% on what? Liability? Comprehensive? Collision? Roadside? Point is, it's not a flat percentage of whatever premium is. Also, they are not legally allowed to give any money back. Less premium moving forward, sure.
    15% less on your premium when it gets renewed.

Here you go:

https://www.geico.com/about/coronavirus/

The GEICO Giveback Credit
    GEICO is providing a 15 percent credit to our auto and motorcycle policyholders as your policy comes up for renewal between April 8 and October 7, 2020. The credit will also apply to any new policies purchased during this period. The credit is part of our ongoing efforts to assist policyholders during this unprecedented time.

The average auto policy has a semi-annual premium of about $1,000 and generally covers more than one vehicle. This means we expect credits to average about $150 per auto policy and $30 per motorcycle policy. We estimate the benefit to our 18 million auto and one million motorcycle policyholders to be approximately $2.5 billion.

Current policyholders can expect to see the credit when your policy renews. You do not need to take any action to receive this credit.

Special at 11:30 or w/e

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

So it's not a refund or a rebate. It's a rate reduction. And I'll bet a years premium it's not a 15% flat reduction because that's not how it works. Also notice the choice wording: The average auto policy. We expect credits to average. We estimate the benefit. IE be thankful with anything given but nothing is guaranteed and when people notice their premium doesn't drop a full 15% like they think it will the insurance companies will fall back on how it was an estimate based on averages.

edit: And apologies for being a negative Nancy. I just hate seeing auto insurance companies say things like this when it's always the safe bet they won't deliver. It makes people angry and it really sucks for the people that work with the public because they have to answer for whatever nonsense corporate says or does.

Formerly BGTemp // TERA Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Every member with an auto insurance policy in effect as of March 31, 2020, will receive a 20% credit on two months of premiums in the coming weeks
    Verbiage aside, its money off my statement down the road. Not going to complain.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    So it's not a refund or a rebate. It's a rate reduction.
    You are playing semantics. This was a general thread to get people to check their policies, since I have heard different companies are doing different things. The 15% was Geico specific that I pointed out since I actually have Geico and had checked.

At the end of the day it's money in our pockets, so it really doesn't matter if it's called a rebate, refund, or reduction.

Stop nitpicking. The point is to CHECK which is why I made the thread. Everyone is going to have something different. Jeebus.

Art Connesseur of Blue Gartr
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Odess E'iron
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I saw this. I will damn skippy take $150 off my policy, even if it's for only one renewal period. If it's not money you need to put out, it's helping you.

Progressive checking in, looks like they're doing it automatically too. I wasn't expecting anything, so I'll take it. Here's their verbiage.

If you have an active personal auto policy at the end of April, you’ll receive a credit for 20% of your April premium. We’ll offer the same 20% credit to active personal auto customers at the end of May, and we may offer additional credits in the upcoming months.

There’s nothing you need to do. We’ll automatically calculate your credit at the end of each month, and then you’ll see it reflected in your account within a few weeks. If you have a balance on your policy, we’ll apply the credit directly to your remaining balance. And if you’re already paid in full, we’ll return the money to the payment account we have on file—so please make sure your payment details are up to date.

This credit is subject to approval by state regulators.
    As mentioned above, some states may not allow refunds/rebates, so it will be interesting to see what they do for people in those states.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Liberty Mutual just sent me an email this morning informing me of their refund. 15% of two months coverage, automatically deposited back where my last payment originated. Not a ton, but I can't complain about free monies.

Hackey Thread Lurker since 2010
    I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

25% rate cut for Farmers Insurance for April's premiums. That's $175 saved on this month's premiums.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

I did not know that insurance companies offer such large discounts. I have to check my offer.

User was infracted for this post.