She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

PC Headset hunting, part deux. (Trying to help my brother who's working from home.)

So okay. 'Neko did a dumb a few weeks ago and lost his headset that he was using at work. (Once he's not working at home they'll proly skin him for that.)

I told him because the one he has STINKS (He bought it from 5 Below, which I know from experience is a Very Dumb Idea), that he could borrow my HyperX Cloud while he's working, if he'd loan me a pair of headphones to use during that time, since I usually don't use the mic until evening much.

Thing is he wants to get one of his own ASAP (of course. One headset between two people stiiinks). Just so you guys know what he wants; he would prefer USB (tho he won't turn up his nose at one that uses the sound ports/has a cell phone type plug, for he'd like to use this on his Switch if it has to be a sound port one as well), he is like me and prefers over the ear not in the ear, and he'd rather be able to order it from Best Buy and go pick it up, since this is for work (as well as possible gaming later) and he'd rather not wait long to get this. I just figure us gamers would know about the good ones..so yeah. Any suggestions?

And yeah, rather stick to a better/durable one for suggestions, I bet once he tries my HyperX Cloud he won't wanna go back.. So budget'd be between $40-$60.

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Gaming headsets are shit and vastly overpriced.

Get a real set of headphones and something like this - https://www.amazon.com/V-MODA-BoomPr.../dp/B00BJ17WKK.

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Been happy with mine but yar, mind this is for work, tho if they give him a new one he might wanna repurpose it for gaming later. He does phone techie support, so yeah. He needs a headset. I mean the one he lost was a really expensive one! (so yeah, not surprised if they're going to be mad at him when the Covid crisis is over)

He also agrees with me that if he likes mine, he'd rather not have me whining for it back, so he'd rather get his own.

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

When I was considering attempting YT/streaming every site I researched basically said what Krandor is saying. Get real headphones+separate mic. I completely get it tho when it comes to budget and wanting something right now. I've used the Hyper X Clouds before and really like them. No clue how the mic is. I use a Samson CO1U for a mic and when I listen to playback it's very clear. I got that mic pretty cheap, but that was like, 4 years ago. I also have and use for headphones Corsair HS60. I prefer them over the Hyper X set. They go on sale for $40-$50. The HS45 are $50 right now on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-HS45-...7861609&sr=8-4

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Kal; I can tell you from mine, it's REALLY clear and nice, have had no complaints on Discord unless my internet's taking a dump. (And sometimes it does.) (If you're curious I can use Audacity to do a quick record or meet you on discord to show ya; let's hope my net isn't being ugly tonight tho.)

I'll point that out to Neko and see if it's available at the Best Buy; they may be doing pickup onry at our store but that means, he can have it NOW.

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Okay, for those of you that might of thought it was config issues; First day he uses my HyperX, he likes and no more bad mic issues. Told him to order either the HyperX Cloud Stinger or this Corsair. Unfortunately I hate his headphones too; man, that's the hazard of cheap headphones. (Which is why I don't buy mine at dollar stores/Five Below; I order from Walmart usually and has to be 12-15 bucks or so for headphones. At worst.) Had to go with my cell phone headset (which is plugs in the ears; not something I really enjoy) for now, but hopefully we can get a more permanent solution soon.

One good headset between two people just stinks like a skunk.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Proudmoore

My home office has the basics, a desk and minimum storage equipment. So it is mostly empty and any internal PC microphone makes high amount of echo, thus low quality of sound in meetings. So I went ahead and stareted seaching for an headset dedicated to videoconferencing.

I went ahead and bought a Sennheiser SC260 https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-SC...3242072&sr=8-5

So far I am very pleased and the sound quality is extremely good. Depending on your budget I believe you could go with the cheapest version, Sennheiser SC30 (which I believe lacks the remote) and likely get very good sound as well.

One thing you’ll have to keep in mind that these are strictly teleconference headphones. Decent with music while working too but don’t expect too much performance from other activities.