• Navigation

View Poll Results: What controller do you use?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Xbox 360/One

6 30.00%
  • Playstation 3/4

13 65.00%
  • Other

1 5.00%
+ Reply to Thread
    Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

BG: What controller do you prefer and why?

I'm curious to hear what controller people prefer to use. I've been using PS4 controllers for the last six years for my PC. The only console I use currently is a PS4, but I do have a PS3 hooked up as well. There has always been a slight degree of difficulty/annoyance using PS controllers with a PC, but I've stuck with it because I've preferred the feel of the DS4. In a way I'm tired of always fighting with DS4Windows, bluetooth, or the absolute shit battery life of the DS4. More specifically regarding bluetooth I have two Asus BT-4000 and the range is absolute garbage. Five to seven feet at max and even then it's constant disconnects. Device manager has also decided to randomly disable the HID Game Controller driver which is another issue. I've been debating on getting an X1 controller. I have a wired 360 controller, but the LB is stuck and overall it's just beat up.

So what controller do you prefer and why? Do you stick to consoles? Not bother at all with a controller for PC? Prefer something different like a Logitech or other?

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

I use a PS4 controller on PC. I play with it 100% plugged in via it's USB cable
    I do not bother with DS4windows, or any other rando driver, since too many of the ones for PS3/4 have been malware at best.

Never xbox, because the left dpad and analog stick are in the WRONG FUCKING PLACE.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

I assume in general, and not for FFXI, because I'm keyboard-only for that.

Personally, I used 360 and now Xbox One controllers for PC. Not that I have strong preference for 'em over others, per se, but they tend to Just Work, and basically everything with controller support on PC is designed around using them.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

The absolute best controller to use for PC gaming is a Xbox 360 wired controller. And I guess a Xbox one controller would be second best. The wired controllers still fetch a decent amount used because they are so good.

I currently use my PS4 controller plugged in with a USB cable because I don't want to spend money and have them already but I do hate having to use mods and other things to remap buttons or UI settings to it. Seeing A and b pop up instead of x and circle in games really throws me off and I hate having to take extra steps to solve that.

My favorite controller to use in general is my switch pro controller but I haven't tried messing with that on my PC or laptop yet. I really should try because it would solve the button mapping issue and is just an overall awesome controller, but I'd still want wired for PC gaming. But I only say that because generally I PC game on my laptop and the Bluetooth can lag.

I also have a Nvidia shield controller that I use with my shield TV for gaming in my living room which is pretty good but I only use that because the other controllers didn't connect as well to the shield. I'd use the switch or PS4 controller if I could.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

If money is no object I'd go with the Xbox Elite Series 2. They seem to have fixed the durability issues present in the old model and it just screams premium quality all around, plus has like 40-50 something hours of battery life.

If you wanna be frugal, look at the 8bitdo SN30 Pro+. 8bitdo controllers are super cheap for the quality you get, and the Pro+ has config software like the various high end controllers for a fraction of the price. They also work on PC (Xinput or Dinput), Switch, Mac, and Android, and you don't have to resync between different devices (ie can be synced to both a Switch and your PC depending on which mode you start it in)

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cyn Dane
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

My mobo has bluetooth so I have a couple Xbox one controllers with rechargeable battery packs that live on a charging station behind my monitor. It's pretty convenient to just grab one and turn it on and play.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Niya Kouya
    FFXIV Server
    Odin

Back in the days I played XI with a PS2 controller and a converter box, but from todays standpoint they are... ewww...
    Nowadays I'm using XB1 controllers. My first (think it's 1st gen, proprietary headset port) now only acts as a charging dock for the battery packs since it started to show massive d.pad issues after ~2 years. My 2nd and current should be a 2nd gen ("normal" headset port but no BT yet), d.pad is still working fine, just managed to break one of the shoulder buttons, but luckily you can get replacement parts for a few bucks. They just work out of the box with any PC game, battery life with the official packs is decent (last me about 1-2 weeks) and they have a good grip.

The only controller I've tried so far that definitely beats it in terms of nice grip and button feedback is the Switch Pro controller. But using that one on PC can be a challenge. Can't remember how well it works wired, but via BT the buttons are completely mixed up in games that expect an XB controller. Managed to "fix" that via the 8bitdo wireless dongle (that basically disguises it as an XB controller an does button mapping automatically), but the downside of that is that you have no way of checking the battery level, so the controller will just suddenly stop working at some point.

Special at 11:30 or w/e

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

I have three DS4 controllers right now. One for the PS4, one for main PC, and the other was the original PS4 controller and it started having terrible battery life + charging port is all wiggly so I was going to use it for the couch PC. I've gotten used to PC games showing the Xbox layout. Seeing something like "hit X" and I know to hit square instead. I'm lightly contemplating an Xbox controller for the exact reason Isiolia said, they just work. But part of me is against it since I already have the DS4 option laying around and I could buy a 25 ft cable to use.

I don't recall where, but I had read that the Asus BT-4000 works a ton better plugging it into a micro USB male to female connector. Since I had one laying around that's how I've used it on my main PC for a few years now. It still has randomly disconnected and the HID driver randomly stopping is beyond irritating when you're in the middle of something. Xbox One controllers look to go on sale from $30-$35. Ebay knock off 360 wired controllers are around $20. They look to say "Microsoft Xbox 360 wired controller" but I'd be willing to bet it's not official.

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I'm still using a ps3 controller myself, love the feel. I've used it wireless at one point with new stuff that Nefarious released, but that has some problems and can be a little buggy, so back to the older solution I go. (One is no battery indicator.) I use it wired to be honest.

Not sure about xbox controllers, I usually go by feel to be honest and I'd have to pick one up in the store to figure out if I'd want to switch; the advantage is they just work tho.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I just use my dualshock 4 on PC, which I also use to play some of my PS4 games on via remote play. Do wish Sony would just officially release xinput-compatible drivers for it already so any modern game works with it no prob without needing 3rd-party tools on or Steam wrapping inputs for you.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Used to use a DS4, and loved it both wired and wireless. Now I use an XBOX Elite v2 controller, cause its much easier to use with the drivers, and because it has more customization. If you can afford it I highly recommend it.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syaoran Li
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Since I still play my PS4 frequently enough, I'm using my PS3 controller on PC. I'm really only using it for Monster Hunter World though, since I don't play many PC games.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Eragon Mcdohl
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Used to be Dualshock guy since all I played was Playstation, but I gotta say Xbox one controller is the superior controller, for feel and for compatibility.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I have a ps4 with two controllers, an old cheapo ps3-ish bt controller (gamesir branded, got it at $10 or something like 6 years ago), and an xbox one controller I got on sale ($35!). The older controller I used a lot but its membrane buttons wore out (the membranes tore), so got the xbox controller.

I use controller for ffxi. It's far faster once you have your macros and variables set up with common stuff you use and spells/etc sorted in a useful way, though with xi's dropping packets like no one's business in dyna-d, omen, etc, I use a key on kb to reset my gear/variables to idle. You sometimes get no confirmation your spell finished or landed, annoying as fuck on brd since you're then caught in a midcast set. I've used each controller for a number of months to see how I might like them and wound up liking my xbox controller the most (d-pad is a little nicer). I need to get a couple battery packs for it though since I keep forgetting to swap out my rechargeable batteries and get dunked on at kinda funny times.
    Similar thing with fps on pc/ps4. I had never played an fps on ps4 until I decided to buy doom at $5 sometime back. It took me some hours to get used to it and then managed to 100% it faster than I did on pc with kb/m. Not like doom is hard to control but the base-game felt better tuned for controller than kb/m. Eternal kinda nailed it for me when I tried out xbox controller for it on pc, with the extra crap you have to use, felt easier to deal with.
    Though ffxiv has too many damn abilities to map them out nicely on controller, so I just stuck with kb/m after a while trying it out. It worked a lot nicer in pvp the couple times I dorked around there though, since you have so much less button bloat to deal with heh.

I don't really have a problem going back and forth between ps4 and xbox style. They work, though I've used ps-styled dual-analog since the ps1. I never had an xbox but wound up liking that style controller just a smidge more.

It's all dicks and airplanes
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cia Mir
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

Switch Pro. I used to think they were expensive but they're really not when you consider how long they last. I replaced 3 XB1s in a year when I was using them 4+ hours a day. 2 had dead shoulder buttons and 1 had dpad left failure. I've had 1 SWPro and it's still going without any of the typical button wear you'd be feeling by this point. XB1's shoulder buttons are the cheapest shit I've ever seen and they've actually been through a redesign. The original was less prone to failure.

Sony insists on making their controllers backwards but they're alright. The DS4 is prone to sweat making your fingers slide off the analogs and the DS3 is too dome shaped for long term comfort.

I bought another Pro to sit on for if this ever goes belly-up but I'm not seeing it.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

I use an xbox controller because the button placement is much more comfortable ..