+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 610 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Thoughts     submit to reddit submit to twitter

I would prefer not to.
    Moms Spaghetti
    Philly Special

BG Level

the best story i have in regards to cheating is when we were being trained and told how to use turnitin, we were told to not omit quoted materials from the plagiarism check. we thought that was strange; why include sourced material (ie, anything in quotation marks) in the report? wouldn’t that just flag the software more?

turns out, there was a big cheating scandal in previous years where students would put quotation marks at the very beginning and very end of their essays, then change the color of those quotation marks to white. Professors don’t see the quotation marks, and the entire essay is basically seen as a quote, so it reads as 0% plagiarized. you can copy a whole essay from the internet and have it be a 0% plagiarized every time

kids put more effort into cheating than doing the work

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

That’s hilarious lol.

BG Level

if you ain't cheatin you ain't tryin

preachy and pretentious
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Mertron View Post
    the best story i have in regards to cheating is when we were being trained and told how to use turnitin, we were told to not omit quoted materials from the plagiarism check. we thought that was strange; why include sourced material (ie, anything in quotation marks) in the report? wouldn’t that just flag the software more?

turns out, there was a big cheating scandal in previous years where students would put quotation marks at the very beginning and very end of their essays, then change the color of those quotation marks to white. Professors don’t see the quotation marks, and the entire essay is basically seen as a quote, so it reads as 0% plagiarized. you can copy a whole essay from the internet and have it be a 0% plagiarized every time

LMAO!

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

You know you're on forum that started with FFXI, right? You shouldnt be surprised that people will cheat 2 win.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

LOL

We were doing a racism in America paper that was being super broken down because it was their first time doing a multi-page research paper. We were only on creating subtopics (about three days into announcing the paper) when I got an email from a girl sharing her paper which wouldn’t even be scheduled to be due for another month and a half. She literally found some rando paper on the internet and copy and pasted it word for word and gave it to me. The fucking header even had the other person’s name and teacher on it.

Also, in related spam comments, just letting you know, mert, that when kids come in not knowing how to do MLA, we tried, oh we fucking tried. I spent daily for three+ months having the kids’ warmup be a quote with an author and page number and asked them to put in into MLA format.....they still can’t put the fucking period in the right spot.

They also legit think I have a personal issue with comic sans and think other teachers will be ok with it, so gl to all the profs out there. My hat is off to you and your struggles.

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Why you be hatin

I would prefer not to.
    Moms Spaghetti
    Philly Special

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by NynJa View Post
    You know you're on forum that started with FFXI, right? You shouldnt be surprised that people will cheat 2 win.
    and those students shouldn’t be surprised when they get banned for duping salvage

I would prefer not to.
    Moms Spaghetti
    Philly Special

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    LOL

We were doing a racism in America paper that was being super broken down because it was their first time doing a multi-page research paper. We were only on creating subtopics (about three days into announcing the paper) when I got an email from a girl sharing her paper which wouldn’t even be scheduled to be due for another month and a half. She literally found some rando paper on the internet and copy and pasted it word for word and gave it to me. The fucking header even had the other person’s name and teacher on it.

Also, in related spam comments, just letting you know, mert, that when kids come in not knowing how to do MLA, we tried, oh we fucking tried. I spent daily for three+ months having the kids’ warmup be a quote with an author and page number and asked them to put in into MLA format.....they still can’t put the fucking period in the right spot.

They also legit think I have a personal issue with comic sans and think other teachers will be ok with it, so gl to all the profs out there. My hat is off to you and your struggles.
    it really never matters how often i go over MLA format, citation, the works cited page, etc; they will never get it right, ever

it’s really baffling to me, it’s not that hard. i even explain how to do hanging indent, yet they refuse to do it, possibly just to spite me

I would prefer not to.
    Moms Spaghetti
    Philly Special

BG Level

also i just got done grading a final exam where the student referred to me as the best english professor ever, so that was an easy 100

Pied Piper of the Homos
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Literally sites that will quote and cite for you properly.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Milkster View Post
    Literally sites that will quote and cite for you properly.
    Literally teach that and come back to us when the kids don’t remember.

They actually will search on google.com to get to their gmail instead of typing gmail.com and/or hitting the 9 box grid. Doesn’t matter how many times you teach them.

Easybib has an add on for google docs that will cite for you. They can’t handle it.

I would prefer not to.
    Moms Spaghetti
    Philly Special

BG Level

academic search engines like ebscohost have citation tools for every article in the database, already done for you, sorted by style (MLA, APA, Chicago, etc) and students will still not do it properly even copy and pasting from the site

preachy and pretentious
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

They don't deserve to pass.

I would prefer not to.
    Moms Spaghetti
    Philly Special

BG Level

i am not cruel enough to fail freshmen over the works cited page

yet

BG Level

i'm legitimately going to jump into traffic if i have to TA another quarter i don't know how you do it Mert

give me back my lab and fuck off pi beta thota

I would prefer not to.
    Moms Spaghetti
    Philly Special

BG Level

having very low self esteem helps

BG Level

what if you are vain in your appearance and arrogant in your abilities but hollowed out by a deep, abiding self-hatred

BG Level

asking for a friend

preachy and pretentious
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Word fucking has a citation tool. Citethisforme.com. If you can't fucking MLA after being taught you're too stupid to be in higher education.

This thread is HUEG! You might want to consider creating a new thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag