FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

https://apnews.com/fc3c386167ca15011d55bfee94c7d5f6

Two Atlanta officers fired for using excessive force during the protests, three regulated to desk duty.

Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms said at a news conference that she and police Chief Erika Shields made the decision after reviewing body-camera footage of a Saturday night incident that first gained attention from video online and on local news.

“Use of excessive force is never acceptable,” Bottoms told reporters. Shields called the footage “really shocking to watch.”

The video, shown on TV as captured by local reporters, shows a group of police officers in riot gear and gas masks surround a car being driven by a man with a woman in the passenger seat. The officers pull the woman out and appear to use a stun gun on the man. They use zip-tie handcuffs on the woman on the ground. The couple did not appear to be fighting police.

Bottoms said the woman was released without charges. She said the man was released, too, and she’s ordering the charges against him dropped. She didn’t specify what charges he faced. She didn’t identify the students or the officers.

She said she’d delayed the news conference several hours to review all the body-camera footage because she and Shields wanted to be certain about what happened.

“I really wanted to believe that the body-worn camera footage would provide some larger view that could better rationalize why we got to this space,” Shields said. “And having spent most of the afternoon with the mayor, reviewing the footage exhaustively, I knew that I had only one option, and that is to terminate the employees.”
    This is the incident:

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

They should have just complied! Its like the entire world doesn't understand what white people have been saying all along. As long as you comply with every order, you'll be fine!

Also: don't tread on me!

Quote Originally Posted by Draylo View Post
    Who is they? Are you implying this is all being orchestrated somehow? What is the end-game goal then? Aside from these cops getting jailed, all of them, what exactly are they trying to get done? You think they can somehow force the top to change everything over night? Seems really naive imo, will be a lot more death and destruction before that happens. Nobody is going to bow down to forceful tyranny, regardless who it comes from.
    Think of it as the riot equivalent of astroturfing. There is a tangible benefit to spinning the narrative away from minority rights and other oppression to instead make it sound more like a bunch of angry, ignorant black folks are torching their own cities because they just won't listen to the police and not do crime. And be sure to vote for Trump in November because he'll MAGA! It's disappointing enough seeing Sinclair and other media conglomerates pushing fixed scripts to reporters where the choice is inevitably to run them or they lose their jobs. And while I'm behind on today's happenings between waking up and focusing on errands about the house, there hasn't exactly been a lot of overt coverage on the police being the aggressors. It's mainly just been some degree of "riots escalate..." because of course our corporate masters don't want their corporate bodyguards to be seen as the bad guys.

Again, we know not all cops are bad. Yet, we also know that the system rarely rewards doing the right thing and excising the corrupt elements. Ferguson was the scrimmage game of protests years back. We're in the live season now. "What do we do?!" Listen to the protesters. Consider if their demands are reasonable. Enact reform based on that. Anyone turning around and going, "But terrorism!" is further denying the very foundations of this country. Fuck off with that. Buildings can be rebuilt. Floyd, Castile, Martin, and all the other minorities murdered merely for being black aren't coming back. Why is a Target's contributions to a community more important than theirs?

In the end, you're on a left-leaning board parroting a number of right-wing talking points. That, alone, will likely get you roasted, but the specific content still matters. People out there wanting the entire police system dissolved aren't wrong for thinking that way. It's like Trump stacking Washington with his guys to cover for him when he does stupid/illegal shit. The needed consequences just aren't happening. So, when the police won't police their own, what do? Here we are. This is what. You're being called stupid because you just want to give them another chance, and it'll be right this time. 3 of the 4 officers involved in Floyd's death are still free as a step 1. We're not even close to making this right.

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

Okay, well I completely disagree with you and also dont give a shit if everyone is on the far left. I am actually a Democrat and I find the looting to be disgusting and horrible, literally fills me with disgust to see people applaud that kind of behavior. Let people call me stupid, yall need some opposition to break up this hivemind. Welcome to the real world, not everyone shares your opinions. Abolishing the police is stupid, whos gonna protect us? These looters? You act like the entire law enforcement is responsible for the actions of these officers, so dumb. What law enforcement in the world is capable of controlling every single officer? The issue is bigger than the police and needs to be fixed on many levels, not just individual precincts or situations. This is not the way at all and multiple leaders in the black community have said the violence and looting is too much.

Okay, well I completely disagree with you and also dont give a shit if everyone is on the far left. I am actually a Democrat and I find the looting to be disgusting and horrible, literally fills me with disgust to see people applaud that kind of behavior. Let people call me stupid, yall need some opposition to break up this hivemind. Welcome to the real world, not everyone shares your opinions. Abolishing the police is stupid, whos gonna protect us? These looters? You act like the entire law enforcement is responsible for the actions of these officers, so dumb. What law enforcement in the world is capable of controlling every single officer? The issue is bigger than the police and needs to be fixed on many levels, not just individual precincts or situations. This is not the way at all and multiple leaders in the black community have said the violence and looting is too much.
    Who's saying abolish the police? Specifically on this board. I've seen myself, Sath and a few others say that there is obviously major things wrong with the way we train our police, how much we pay them, and how we're giving them military grade gear but I don't think i've seen anyone say "Get rid of all the cops!".

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Meresgi View Post
    Who's saying abolish the police? Specifically on this board. I've seen myself, Sath and a few others say that there is obviously major things wrong with the way we train our police, how much we pay them, and how we're giving them military grade gear but I don't think i've seen anyone say "Get rid of all the cops!".
    Tymon

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

Been said multiple times. Even the post above mine said its a good idea. You are missing it

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by 6souls View Post
    Tymon
    This guy earlier in the thread. Who said we should legalize all drugs and let junkies have a designated spot to shoot up, complete insanity.

You seem to be confusing understanding why it's all happening with encouraging the bad stuff. I doubt there's any of one of us here who would be unhappy if the cops suddenly stopped being shitlords this very instant and began the process of holding their own accountable and further revising procedure so it never happens again. However, we have history telling is that that simply won't happen. So, yeah, shit's going to continue to go down, and it will continue to go down until the losses outweigh the stubbornness.

As for removal of police, also don't confuse that as an absence of replacement. No shit, areas need protected. What they don't need is the same bad leaders and the same bad cops calling the shots with the same bad unions defending their atrocities. There should be no getting reassigned to desk duty. There should be no getting hired in another district where people hopefully won't recognize you. There should be no paid leave while under investigation. You abuse your power, you go to jail, you rot. Group this with more intensive training, psychological evaluations, more restricted access to firearms use, less racism, more mediating instead of being Judge Dredd, and other needed legal reforms, including independent civilian oversight. And if after all this, it still turns out we don't have enough law enforcement to counter resulting crime, perhaps we should be simultaneously addressing the collective issues that inspire that, too. Y'know, like poverty, the education system, broken healthcare, etc.. Then again, some are protesting for that, too. But nah, fuck that, won't someone think of the retail chains participating in the aforementioned injustices?!

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

It sucks to say it but unions in practice really have downsides.

We'd be in a very different place right now if police unions hadn't spent the last 30 years tying cities' hands.

This guy earlier in the thread. Who said we should legalize all drugs and let junkies have a designated spot to shoot up, complete insanity.
    Didn't Peru or somewhere do this and actually saw decent results in addicts finally seeking help?

Weaboo of the House of Weave
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arthur Pendragon
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Didn't Peru or somewhere do this and actually saw decent results in addicts finally seeking help?
    pretty much everywhere that's done this has seen improvement.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by mallister View Post
    pretty much everywhere that's done this has seen improvement.
    Yeah this is a known thing.

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

Sweet, lets follow those third world countries, they have done so well

BG Level

there's a reason everyone makes fun of you.

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

Apparently my opinions arent popular and I couldnt care less if you like me nor is it relevant to the discussion.

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

It probably did well because they OD and one less problem for that government. I would like to see the stats on that for a modern country. If you say that to anyone I cant imagine someone thinking that is sane.

BG Level

i'll give you a hint: it's the ignorant shit that comes out of your mouth.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

https://www.cleveland.com/metro/2018...rnment_pr.html

AMSTERDAM, the Netherlands - On a quiet alley in east Amsterdam, a security guard stands watch outside a brick office building, which 75 men and women visit twice a day to smoke or shoot up government-funded heroin.

Public-health experts in the Netherlands say free distribution is one reason that drug-related deaths are far less common than in the United States. The program also has reduced crime and improved the quality of life for many users, according to Ellen van den Hoogen, who runs the clinic.
    How about the netherlands lmao what a clown

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast