+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast
    Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by jmc View Post
    Which is honestly a damn shame it is now classified as a racist symbol, or racists are now using that flag as a symbol to spew their hatred.
    What's more amazing/frustrating/downright retarded is the amount of law enforcement who thinks The Punisher is a damn role model to them. I personally think that's even worse then the flag imo.

BEAHCAT
    BOSTON'S FINEST

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mith Lothaire
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Cenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Melena View Post
    What's more amazing/frustrating/downright retarded is the amount of law enforcement who thinks The Punisher is a damn role model to them. I personally think that's even worse then the flag imo.
    Or my personal favorite, the ones who have a certain transformer quote on their POVs. Seen that a lot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Oh god, please tell me they aren't using Till All Are One or One Shall Stand, One Shall Fall. I haven't seen this yet and it already makes me want to bang my head against the wall.

E before O except before E-I-E-I-O.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kyleen Garaka
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

BEAHCAT
    BOSTON'S FINEST

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mith Lothaire
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Cenarius

I’ve seen both

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Oh god. Remind me if I see any of my old co-workers at the sheriff's office with that to bitch slap them up their head

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TsingTao View Post
    Three officers terminated after it's discovered they're racists. 'Discovered' means they accidentally left a dash cam on, got caught on it being racist dicks, and no one could ignore it any longer.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...-racist-rants/
    https://www.wect.com/2020/06/24/live...ference-today/

All three were 20+ year vets.
    Late to the dance, but of course it's NC... Goddamnit

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

So I've thought for a long time that police departments were simultaneously underresourced, overcommitted, and underqualified, stretching themselves too thin to deal with problems that they really should not have been near. I also thought and still think that if the state holds a monopoly on the legitimation of violence, then it will always need agents for that purpose and we might as well call those violence regulators the police.

However, the protests made it fairly clear to me that there are two additional problems that I was giving them the benefit of the doubt on:
    1) Police unions are clearly toxic. I have read a lot of articles at this point about how bad they are and the rebuttal pieces lack any substantive examples of how they make the world better. They appear to be pure moral hazard with no upside.
    2) They don't seem to take their responsibilities seriously. We think of judges as fairly staid dispensers of justice, but arguably a policeman should be even more stoic and even-tempered because they have to make judgments in real time with peoples' lives on the line. It has become apparent that is not even close to the culture.

The police have probably never lived up to their responsibilities, but at this point there's a PR problem that prevents the police from recruiting people that can live up to the standards that the job requires. Perhaps rebranding the police as the policia, recruiting different people, and using the reset to build a different culture is actually necessary as the quickest way through this problem.

On a broader note about costs, it would be a lot less fucking expensive to hire adults with functioning prefrontal cortices if we had social programs that kept kids from going hungry or living in undue stress. The potential we waste every year not providing goddamned food to children is criminal.

BEAHCAT
    BOSTON'S FINEST

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mith Lothaire
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Cenarius

We have about 300-400 officers eligible to retire in Boston.

It’s about to get real interesting.

TIME OUT MOTHERFUCKER

BG Level

Interesting note: Libertarians have been against police unions, well federal employee unions in general but especially police since the party's conception. Libertarian party has also pushed for less violent police interventions since the party's conception to be more in line with the party's core tenant of "non aggression principle".

This may have all changed under Johnson, I don't really know the man infuriates me so I don't really follow official libertarian stances anymore.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by guartz View Post
    Interesting note: Libertarians have been against police unions, well federal employee unions in general but especially police since the party's conception. Libertarian party has also pushed for less violent police interventions since the party's conception to be more in line with the party's core tenant of "non aggression principle".

This may have all changed under Johnson, I don't really know the man infuriates me so I don't really follow official libertarian stances anymore.
    Oh

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SathFenrir View Post
    Oh
    Gary Johnson is still a man, but is not the current candidate. Jo Jorgenson is who is currently running and is anti-police as she recently sought the Boog vote.

Champion of the House of Weave
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Just saw this posted on Reddit:

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/inve...-timpa-s-life/

It's from 2016, but apparently never gained much traction.

Edit: It did get covered, but the body cam footage didn't come out until last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomiko View Post

Edit: It did get covered, but the body cam footage didn't come out until last year.
    I live in the DFW area, it didn't get a ton of press even locally. Not a minority, not a worthwhile story for news / outrage.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shanoa Varhara
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I remember when that story first came about. It was posted here maybe or at least on Reddit where I first saw it. Lot of pissed off people in the comments but also a good amount of people defending the cops.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tomiko View Post

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/inve...-timpa-s-life/

The right was using this incident as a whatabout early on during the Floyd protests. A Dallas news site brought it up, probably that one, a week after George was killed as an example of it happening before in Texas. The police suppressed the footage and Dallas never did rise up over it. It's funny seeing the right be mad over this, but didn't give a fuck when the footage was released.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shanoa Varhara
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

They certainly didn't give a fuck when Daniel Shaver got murked in that hotel hallway either. Cop was acquitted, rehired in a bs position just long enough to qualify for pension then medically retired while the other offending officer conveniently moved to the Philippines.

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Meanwhile, in Canada

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...ated-1.5662162

Ottawa's police chief says other social service workers need to be integrated with the local force so they can help respond to calls in which police don't have expertise, especially those involving mental health.