Closed Thread
Page 107 of 151 FirstFirst ... 57 97 105 106 107 108 109 117 ... LastLast

I'd say Day's small town life summary wasn't too far off the mark. Any kids who weren't into the outdoorsy life were pretty much screwed when it came to accommodating hobbies or acquiring much of a social life, and I'd say it's only worsened in this regard as tech continues to improve, but these same small towns stay behind the times. Chasing the next high or getting drunk pretty much summed up the teenage life for a lot of kids, too. To say it fucked up my youngest sister would be an understatement.

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by arus2001 View Post
    I'd say Day's small town life summary wasn't too far off the mark. Any kids who weren't into the outdoorsy life were pretty much screwed when it came to accommodating hobbies or acquiring much of a social life, and I'd say it's only worsened in this regard as tech continues to improve, but these same small towns stay behind the times. Chasing the next high or getting drunk pretty much summed up the teenage life for a lot of kids, too. To say it fucked up my youngest sister would be an understatement.
    What sucks, is I don't know how we solve the situation. These small towns only originally existed because of 1-2 big industries keeping the town afloat. As those industries moved away, either out of country or to bigger areas, the towns don't have anything to rely upon, which just makes more stuff close up. They are never going to grow to the size that could support stuff. The only real idea I've come up with is commuter rails from rural areas to urban hubs (kind of how I see Europe does now), so people can live in the town and support it with taxes, but commute into the big city for work.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

population density isn't high enough in most rural areas to support that kind of public transit system, hell LA with all its gobs of wealth still can't build a decent commuter rails system because of the sprawl

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by Andalusian girls View Post
    population density isn't high enough in most rural areas to support that kind of public transit system, hell LA with all its gobs of wealth still can't build a decent commuter rails system because of the sprawl
    Well that and Ford buying all the public transit in the early years and essentially dismantling it so people would be forced to buy their vehicles.

BG Level

ultimately whatever machinations occurred LA has a population density of 7,828 people per square mile vs New York's 26,343 per square mile. there is a fundamental issue of scale at play when trying to make commuter rail viable juxtaposed with London's or New York's or San Francisco's functioning systems.

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

ultimately whatever machinations occurred LA has a population density of 7,828 people per square mile vs New York's 26,343 per square mile. there is a fundamental issue of scale at play when trying to make commuter rail viable juxtaposed with London's or New York's or San Francisco's functioning systems.
    How does Scotland make commuter rail work then? When you can ride a train from Kyle to Inverness to commute for work every day?

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

It's growing though

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

still nothing by me, nobody cares about the 210

Some of it is definitely area dependent, but I'll just more flatly state that what we're doing now as flyover states/rural areas/whatever you want to call them isn't really working. People in these areas need to be willing to change and not desperately cling to some ancient time that will never be again. A lot of it comes with education reform. Police reform can't be discounted, either. A good bit of it relies on higher level politicians not being greedy shit stains. Also gotta stop thinking paying people $8-9/hr, even if a dollar or two above state minimum, is a livable wage.

I still stand behind this pandemic and such being the best time to reevaluate and change how our country works, but it's obvious we don't have people in power who want that across so many levels.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kaslo View Post
    How does Scotland make commuter rail work then? When you can ride a train from Kyle to Inverness to commute for work every day?
    i know next to nothing about Scottish commuter rail and won't speak from ignorance but as a whole i don't think people grasp how much more densely populated Europe (who have the best commuter rail in the world along with the even more densely populated East Asian states) is than the U.S. the EU's pop density on average is 300 people per square mile (which only 7 out of 50 U.S. states equal), and our population density as a whole is 81 people per square mile.

there are other factors at play to be sure, many American cities are relatively new and oriented towards cars and suburban sprawl rather than built along preexisting public transit lines (as all European cities are given they predate the automobile by centuries if not millennia), there is a dominant car culture here, a greater proportion of public finances are oriented towards public transit there than here, et cetera. but there is a real fundamental factor at play re scale when on average they have x4 the potential amount of commuters in any given square mile. it's not an insoluble issue and regional variations abound but it's more complicated than 'just be like Europe'.

IMPERIAL CONCUBINE OF ME
    Coolest Monkey In The Jungle

BG Level

Banned.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Tymon View Post
    Like at least 75% of the upper middle/upper class kids from "Christian" families down here were/are on pills. Half my middle school church league basketball team is dead from drugs. Their parents also forcibly pushed my mom/grandparents out of the voting congregation because they weren't rich enough.

Very wholesome Christlike people for sure. My family still wonders why I detest the church.
    yea i'm not sure you can blame the Christianity part for people ODing. but whatever helps you sleep at night.

Brown Recluse

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Heavencloud View Post
    yea i'm not sure you can blame the Christianity part for people ODing. but whatever helps you sleep at night.
    Yeah I don't know either. Christianity has never done nothing wrong.

Absolute Messenger of Promathia
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Dimmauk View Post
    Yeah I don't know either. Christianity has never done nothing wrong.

Duplicitous Jew with Political Aspirations
    BG Level

Because the hypocrisy wasn't what was being emphasized, and that definitely also wasn't something a child would've recognized.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

IMPERIAL CONCUBINE OF ME

BG Level

christianity makes people OD

Absolute Messenger of Promathia
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Day View Post
    Not something a child would understand though. Only me big braims

IMPERIAL CONCUBINE OF ME

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Karbuncle View Post
    Not something a child would understand though. Only me big braims
    something something crusades

Brown Recluse

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Day View Post
    Have you ever drank too much Jesus juice?