+ Reply to Thread

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

D&D shit or whatever the fuck

embracing my newfound life of virginity i'm starting out on my first D&D adventure thingamajig with some pals next week. nabbed a 5th edition Player's Handbook and have been perusing Roll20, but was wondering if any of you more seasoned nerds have tips + tricks and/or resources and/or suggestions for the total neophytenubbin who doesn't know what he's doing. can tell an Aasimar from a Tiefling thanks to vidya but am p clueless otherwise all around. thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.

Hackey Thread Lurker since 2010
    I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

Mechanical tip:
    +If a foe gets into melee range and you try to run away while you're in their attack range, you will provoke an attack of opportunity. You will need to take a Disengage action to avoid being attacked.

+If caster and low level, you will be relying on cantrips early on while you treat your spells like elixirs. Think FF1 spell limitations in this regard.

RP tips:
    +Just have fun and play in character. The DM will provide the answers to your questions in regards to lore relevant to the campaign.

Roll 20 tips:
    +You can pop all your character info into roll20 and you will be clicking on buttons to make relevant rolls. Ex: an acrobatics check. You will click the button and roll20 will roll d20+dexterity bonus modifier.

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

When you get right down the the hard core of of minmaxing, optimising, and all around good choices, there is one truth. Action Economy.
    Numbers go up, options increase. The amount of times you can do something each turn, not so much.

Roll20 and Fantasy Grounds are the established virtual tabletops, Foundry is the fresh challenger. But what matters is what your DM uses.

The 5th edition specific subreddit is https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/ (that's what the playtest for 5th was called)

Duplicitous Jew with Political Aspirations
    BG Level

Once your penis retreats fully inside your body you will have about 2-3 weeks before it becomes vestigial and can safely be removed.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

IMPERIAL CONCUBINE OF ME
    Coolest Monkey In The Jungle

BG Level

nerd

IMPERIAL CONCUBINE OF ME
    Coolest Monkey In The Jungle

BG Level

this thread is a nerd honeypot

preachy and pretentious
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Andalusian girls View Post
    embracing my newfound life of virginity i'm starting out on my first D&D adventure thingamajig with some pals next week. nabbed a 5th edition Player's Handbook and have been perusing Roll20, but was wondering if any of you more seasoned nerds have tips + tricks and/or resources and/or suggestions for the total neophytenubbin who doesn't know what he's doing. can tell an Aasimar from a Tiefling thanks to vidya but am p clueless otherwise all around. thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.
    If you're playing, the only thing you need to do is define and understand the character you're playing. Pick a race based in jpgs and a class you're interested in. Don't waste time reading about the other races and classes. Ask a lot of questions about what you can or can't do while playing, since the rules honestly come down to the DM and not the handbook. You'll have more fun this way as a newbie.

Oh and always buy rope, maybe a grappling hook and a crossbow. Rope in my opinion is the most useful item in tabletop rpgs if you actively look for situations to use it.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

D&D is racist.

preachy and pretentious
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by 6souls View Post
    D&D is racist.
    Yes.

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

For PHB classes, the breakdown is

Tank: Paladin, Barbarian, Fighter
    DPS: Ranger, Monk, Rogue
    Healer: Cleric, Druid
    Squishy Mage DPS: Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard
    Squishy Support: Bard

The healers are a bit more badass than JRPG tropes though, more WoW than FF. Old school D&D Clerics were mace and armor types, rather than frock and stole types.

Hackey Thread Lurker since 2010
    I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

Great. I'm remembering how Everquest clerics rocked full plate armor, shield, and mace. They even had a spell that was p much telling them to auto attack between spell casts.

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Don't be a min maxer. Had one in my group, and it's frustrating as shit as it can be game breaking. That said, if you roll for starting gear and you go on some crazy streak and get some god items, don't take it personally if your DM tries to kill you. I did one campaign where we rolled for loot, and I managed to get hold of a bow that dealt an additional 5 D6 worth of sonic damage. Our group wound up using a staff of Resurrection on me 3 times, then had a night where I couldn't make a saving roll the entire night and got teleport-ed into pit of lava, removing my god bow.

Comedy in role playing groups is another great way to hone up on your skills as a role player. So if it fits the mood of the game, don't be afraid to inject a bit in. We used to playtest a game called Spycraft before it went final, and I had a blast running around using an electrified chainsaw with a built in speaker and MP3 player as my melee weapon so I could make enemies fail saving rolls by laughing manically, completely blood soaked, while REM's End of the World is blaring from my revved up chainsaw.

preachy and pretentious
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut