+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FIOS Sound gets...weird     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

FIOS Sound gets...weird

Ok guys, I'm at wits end:

TV / FIOS works fine. Then, out of the blue, my sound for the channel gets static and hiccups...change channel, problem follows the channel.

Reset through the menu, problem goes away. Then a couple hours later it comes back.

Reboot the box by unplugging and plugging back in, problem goes away. Couple hours later it comes back.

Reboot the modem, doesn't fix it.

Change the HDMI cable/port on the TV, doesn't fix it.

REPLACE THE BOX, doesn't fix the problem.

I'm down to a problem with the TV itself (unlikely, doesn't happen to my xbox, doesn't happen when I stream netflix/cbs/prime), the co-ax cable between the wall and the router (PITA to troubleshoot because it runs through the wall), or something I'm not thinking of right now.

VIZIO is shit and I was mad the second I bought it, but I still don't think it is the TV.

I'm going to test the TV tomorrow by changing the TV.

Anyone seen anything like this?

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Thrall

It could be the HDMI port(s), or the TV itself.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

I would try replacing HDMI cables involved with new/current spec ones, if that's not what you already did. I haven't seen that issue per se, but I had an issue with Blu-ray playback that persisted between multiple players and TVs that eventually went away with a cable upgrade (I'd swapped them before of course).

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

So it appears to either be the optical cable between the TV and the sound bar or the optical cable port on the TV. I won't know until I get a new optical cable tomorrow.

I have it running of a red/white cable now but the sound is noticeably worse, but without the static/lag that made it unwatchable before.