BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

New TV advice

Any good new 55 inch+ TVs out there that are on sale right now? I'd like to not spend more than $600-$700 if possible and want something wall mounted. I like the "Fire TV" prime video ready TVs. I've had one for a few years I really like but I'm thinking of upgrading. I ordered a ~50" TCL Roku TV about a year ago and I flat out do not like it. I think the interface is garbage.

I'm looking at this one right now: https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-QN65Q...dp/B07N4L5VYG/ because it is on sale, but that's a bit expensive. I'd go in for it if it was an amazing deal or something.

I think ideally $500 with a high of $600 would be best for me right now. I'm buying a projector TV setup off the current residents of the place I'm moving to so that will be my "watch important shit on" TV. I want something that can be ceiling mounted in the bedroom for more general usage to not burn out the projector bulb.

Weaboo of the House of Weave
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arthur Pendragon
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

I think your ceiling is too high for what you want to be honest. There is a pretty low ceiling for the performance of a 60hz TV, at least in my opinion. Upgrading from your Fire TV would ideally mean going for a 120hz+ panel, but those start around 1k for a 4K option.

If you don't want 4K, I bet you could find some open box or refurbished 120hz 1080p panels that aren't that expensive. I would be apprehensive to pay more than $500 for a 60hz.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Any examples of what you think I should be looking at? The roku TV has shown me that not all current TVs are created equally.

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Rtings is a solid review site for TVs that gives pretty in depth specifics.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/be...rice/under-500

The suggested Hisense is pretty money. Full-Array local dimming is usually reserved for much more expensive TVs, and Android TV is a good interface

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Thanks! I’ll look into that

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

TCL just released their 55" Mini LED set near this price range. It looks incredible.

http://www.theverge.com/platform/amp...-xbox-series-x

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Tyche View Post
    TCL just released their 55" Mini LED set near this price range. It looks incredible.

http://www.theverge.com/platform/amp...-xbox-series-x
    I was looking at one of these but it is Roku software. I have one of the 5 series TCLs and the quality is good and all but I cannot fucking stand the Roku interface/controller. I’d rather have a slightly less good TV that isn’t Roku.

Shame because that does look nice otherwise.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Don't get Vizio. Mine has been a trainwreck.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by SathFenrir View Post
    I was looking at one of these but it is Roku software. I have one of the 5 series TCLs and the quality is good and all but I cannot fucking stand the Roku interface/controller. I’d rather have a slightly less good TV that isn’t Roku.

Shame because that does look nice otherwise.
    If the TV is mostly good outside of the interface why not just get a standalone Fire TV Stick or something like the Nvidia Shield?

I got an LG OLED recently and honestly the webOS LG uses is pretty shit, but I run everything in the TV thru the Shield so it really doesn't matter.

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

I have both a shield and a fire TV. Unless you game or use the shield to host a Plex server, I'd just buy the cheaper FireTV HD.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Quote Originally Posted by Krandor View Post
    Rtings is a solid review site for TVs that gives pretty in depth specifics.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/be...rice/under-500

The suggested Hisense is pretty money. Full-Array local dimming is usually reserved for much more expensive TVs, and Android TV is a good interface
    Glad this was posted, definitely use rtings.

I have fire sticks, chromecasts, a shield, and a smart tv.

Shield has best UI by far, can control it by voice through Google homes/assistant. Worth the premium to me but like mentioned if you don't game it probably isn't worth it. It's way better than everything else though as far as apps and accessibility though, almost a cable box really. The chromecasts are great but since they are cast devices only and have no independent ui or anything I'd say the fire tv sticks are slightly better. The fires ui is way shittier, slower, but it's okay enough and easy to use. Great for the kids tv and our bedroom that we rarely use. Both TVs with fire sticks I also have chromecasts plugged into as well. So I basically paid for two devices, that's why I think the shield is Superior (chromecast built in).

The smart tv is by far the worst, I get most tvs are smart now, but don't use that shit. Immediately plug something else into them to use those features.

Shield > fire/chromecast > smart tv.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Quote Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
    My vizio is the best tv I've ever owned. 70" of glory for way less than the other brands, also best buy honors those new home buyer coupons on them which they don't on the other guys.

There are shit series of Vizio's though, definitely check rtings. I remember I chose it because it did so well with gaming comparable to the best tv models.

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

I completely disagree about the fire stick being slow. Idk which version you have, but my 4K firestick is every bit as snappy as my shield from a UI standpoint. Small remote is nice too on the stick whereas the shield has a big ass controller (although you can program the shield to be used with a universal remote or buy an optional smaller remote for too much money).

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

I have two of the newest 4k ones and they are just okay the ui is full of garbage and really dumb to navigate in comparison. However it does have the best remote, but I use a universal for the shield I got for cheap. Idk how the new shield remote is to compare.

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

The UI is def garbage with all the Amazon shit, but it boots up and navigates quickly. For streaming, I'd deal with the shitty UI to save $175.

Formerly BGTemp // TERA Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
    I came here to post this. Hard second.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Piggybacking off this thread. I've had good luck with my Vizio's. There's definitely UI concerns, and occasionally I have to power cycle it back on cause it doesn't catch an input when swapping to it, but for the price, I feel they were worth it, doubly so since Best Buy goofed and gave me two for the price of one.

Anyways, reason for the post, I've been keeping an eye out for a 75" TV for the living room. My other TVs are all 55" and don't really have the relistate for the main room. Saw this pop up from Best Buy for $999, $500 off, with free LG earbuds ($149 value, but see em for as low as $70 so whatever) included. Ratings make it seem like a fine TV if you're not looking for OLED, but I'm not really sure how it compares to the others out there. It looks to lose some points due to brightness being on the low end, that'd definitely be a concern since the room has 5 windows. Nano, ultra, crystal, etc, they all name them different things, and I'm not really sure how it all comes together. Any input on other 75" TVs that would be comparable or better for the same price or less? I've got a 55" Vizio OLED that I'm plenty happy with as a performance TV, not looking to shell out on a 75" OLED.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I'm gonna follow this thread cuz I plan on moving in like 6 months and if this is a stupid good price for a second TV it may be worth just buying and throwing it in a closet until I have a place for it.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

My only negative on that tv is it's fake 120hz, and really only 60hz. Doesn't matter for anything cept a minority of games tho

Anything that says Trumotion 120hz is really just 60hz

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

My 70inch 1080p living room Vizio is 6 years old. I love it.

We just replaced my bedroom TV with a 4k 55" Hisense thanks to rtings reviews. What a great TV thank you rtings. I'll be replacing my 70" with a 55"+ OLED eventually when it dies and using rtings to pick the model. Can't wait. Thought it died the other day but it was a nivida shield and fire stick conflict.