Closed Thread
Page 5 of 151 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gadritan View Post
    Look, I've been going to protests because I feel that strongly about it and that's a massive risk, so I understand something meaning so much to you and your mental health (that's obviously what's most important here) that you're willing to take the risk and thus risk other's health as well. But please don't try to play it down like it's the safest thing ever.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    I didn't know anyone here was playing down the risks or stating it was safe. Maybe i missed a post.

I listed above the reasons I'm going back and my circumstance for the reasons i don't mind risking it (No kids, don't visit family, telework 100% of the time).

RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    Doesn't necessarily mean they're doing it bad

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Have you met people?

Anyway I was referring to the reopening plans and not individuals.

no, i'm saying you could use any old american as a weight for lifting. just strap a mask on them and you're good to go! it's like that one exercise program where you use your cat to exercise with, just with a buddy instead!

Cardiac Cat
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Airlea Ocelot
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Aegwynn

Trying to play up the "safety," features of a gym like the HVAC system etc makes it sound like it's somehow going to be super safe. It's not. We're seeing it constantly. Incredibly controlled environments still have outbreaks.

Talking with the director of the gym, they are going to go with the standards set by the governor. Meaning everyone has to wear a mask 100% of the time while inside. All outdoor classes, members can remove their mask so long as they distance themselves.

I personally don't mind wearing a mask while lifting, but I've already attempt to do cardio with a mask. After about 30 mins you start to sweat and the mask gets wet. Once that happens you can no longer breath through the mask. Hopfully we will have nice weather for a few months so we can keep the outdoor classes, while allowing others to go inside to lift.

Cardiac Cat
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Airlea Ocelot
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Aegwynn

Quote Originally Posted by Yabby View Post
    I didn't know anyone here was playing down the risks or stating it was safe. Maybe i missed a post.

I listed above the reasons I'm going back and my circumstance for the reasons i don't mind risking it (No kids, don't visit family, telework 100% of the time).
    Forgot to quote ya. Countering with posts about how spacious a gym is, or some fancy HVAC system, etc, makes it sound like it's "safe." It was a combination of posts.

Trying to play up the "safety," features of a gym like the HVAC system etc makes it sound like it's somehow going to be super safe. It's not. We're seeing it constantly. Incredibly controlled environments still have outbreaks.

Only reason i noted the HVAC system upgrade was because that was a point others used as to why indoors shouldn't be allowed. Didn't state it would protect people 100%, just that they are trying to be as safe as possible.

Forgot to quote ya. Countering with posts about how spacious a gym is, or some fancy HVAC system, etc, makes it sound like it's "safe." It was a combination of posts.

I understand. I wasn't trying to argue that it was safe, just they were trying to do everything they could to make it as safe as possible.

Cardiac Cat
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Airlea Ocelot
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Aegwynn

Quote Originally Posted by Yabby View Post
    Only reason i noted the HVAC system upgrade was because that was a point others used as to why indoors shouldn't be allowed. Didn't state it would protect people 100%, just that they are trying to be as safe as possible.
    Yep. I get it.

I'm curious though. If you can't get max lifts etc without the equipment, do you think outdoor exercise would help with the mental part of it? I mean, you can get stuff like tractor tires etc from junkyards for some old-school workouts. Or is it more of just having a feeling of some normalcy?

Yep. I get it.

I'm curious though. If you can't get max lifts etc without the equipment, do you think outdoor exercise would help with the mental part of it? I mean, you can get stuff like tractor tires etc from junkyards for some old-school workouts. Or is it more of just having a feeling of some normalcy?

I already do a lot of this. It is about some normalcy as well, but before COVID I always enjoyed just putting on my headphones (Blocks all outside sound), put on a good playlist or a good audiobook, and just zone out and lift some weight. It is one of the few things I can do that is "Mindless" that will disconnect me from things. Even when I'm not working, i tend to think about work or a project I'm working on. It is hard for me to disconnect. When I'm doing things like tossing a tire or outdoor workouts, I don't get that disconnect, as I still have to focus a bit on what I'm doing.

It's risk and reward at the end of the day. If i had a kid, family i visit, or worked in a place i could spread it if I caught it, I most likely wouldn't risk it.

Pied Piper of the Homos
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Look, I've been going to protests because I feel that strongly about it and that's a massive risk, so I understand something meaning so much to you and your mental health (that's obviously what's most important here) that you're willing to take the risk and thus risk other's health as well. But please don't try to play it down like it's the safest thing ever.

Edit: I do think Yabs has a fantastic point about the mental health aspect of it though. I'm willing to bet the overwhelming majority of people going to work out aren't so much concerned with being buff as they are getting depressed.

Body dysmorphia is a mental illness though and depression is a symptom of it.

I brought up how many people and how big the facility was because Tymon had concocted a false image in his head. Which I was correcting. I'm fine with what it is.

Cardiac Cat
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Airlea Ocelot
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Aegwynn

That makes sense. Got a robot routine to let the brain melt a bit lol.

I'm such a homebody that it hasn't really effected me. Corona or not I could stay home 365 with my family and be perfect.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

When the mask gets wet, you are supposed to switch to a dry mask. Also, you're supposed to wash masks as infrequently as possible, and dry them by putting them in a dry, sunny place, since laundering cloth masks reduces their fiber density and therefore effectiveness in restricting droplet dispersal, which is their primary function. Though the guidelines do mention allowing for cleanliness- sweat saturation is different from water saturation, so a sweat-soaked mask is still reason to wash it. It's all in the CDC guidelines. I looked it up after a gym owner I know mentioned it in the context of how stupid he thinks the mask requirement is. I've come to the conclusion that it is he who is stupid.

Personally, were I not a couch potato, I'd prepare by having 2-3 masks dedicated as part of my "gym kit" and then my normal running-errands mask.

Cardiac Cat
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Airlea Ocelot
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Aegwynn

Quote Originally Posted by Milkster View Post

I brought up how many people and how big the facility was because Tymon had concocted a false image in his head. Which I was correcting. I'm fine with what it is.
    Ya. That's a scary illness too. I've seen some people do some pretty terrible things to their bodies. Home made plastic surgery. Yeek

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

CNBC: Johnson & Johnson says coronavirus vaccine prevents severe illness in hamsters.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/03/john...-hamsters.html

Inb4 it causes cancer

Weaboo of the House of Weave
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arthur Pendragon
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Glad to see BG has reached the justification stage of getting tired of quarantine. I guess there's always a point where being a hypocrite is worth it if you're not affected.

Weaboo of the House of Weave
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arthur Pendragon
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Milkster View Post

I have no false image. You shouldn't be indoors other than your home other than in brief passing during a pandemic. I don't care how many people there are or how large the place is. And I'm not sorry.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2020/0...-covid19-in-mn

A wedding ceremony in Southwestern MN was attended by 275 guests and has lead to 56 new cases across nine counties. Suburbs and most of Southern MN account for almost all of the new cases reported. Sturgis had an attendance of 460k (250k expected).

Pied Piper of the Homos
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Tymon View Post
    I have no false image. You shouldn't be indoors other than your home other than in brief passing during a pandemic. I don't care how many people there are or how large the place is. And I'm not sorry.
    Thats fine and you can do that if you wish but people much smarter than you have determined and set out guidelines for what is high risk and low risk behavior and how to mitigate transmission. I think BG will listen to them over you.

RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Yeah pretty sure those smart people have listed gyms as high risk.

And they're reopening things due to public/economic pressure, and not because it's actually safe to do so.

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 151 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 ... LastLast