Closed Thread
Page 149 of 151 FirstFirst ... 99 139 147 148 149 150 151 LastLast
    I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by synistar View Post
    Like baseball and basketball season would have been going full bore in full stadiums.
    If everyone got the Moderna vaccine why not

We would obviously still engage in transmission risk mitigation until the picture is clear though.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

This is dumb, and you should feel bad for even bringing it up. We dont operate with magic foresight. I have a couple of divorces I'd never have dealt with if we did.

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

People cant put on a mask and social distance without crying "BUT MUH FREEDOMSSSSSSS" in November 2020, you think they would have taken a rushed out vaccine back in February for covid, a virus that had less than 3000 deaths worldwide?
    Thats some serious revisionist history.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

To detour us off of this convo, could we design and scale up immunoreactivity tests for COVID so we can assay whether the vaccine granted people immunity?

There is a chance that we never hit high enough vaccination rates to reopen generally, but even in that situation many of the individuals who received the vaccine may be 100% immune and just not know it. Voluntarily testing for it biannually or something sounds reasonable and would let a lot of people go back to BAU.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by NynJa View Post
    People cant put on a mask and social distance without crying "BUT MUH FREEDOMSSSSSSS" in November 2020, you think they would have taken a rushed out vaccine back in February for covid, a virus that had less than 3000 deaths worldwide?
    Thats some serious revisionist history.
    Some would, especially people in high risk occupations. As it proved safe and effective (and the virus got way worse over a couple months), way more would've.

As it stands still nobody has been vaccinated.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Byrthnoth View Post
    To detour us off of this convo, could we design and scale up immunoreactivity tests for COVID so we can assay whether the vaccine granted people immunity?

There is a chance that we never hit high enough vaccination rates to reopen generally, but even in that situation many of the individuals who received the vaccine may be 100% immune and just not know it. Voluntarily testing for it biannually or something sounds reasonable and would let a lot of people go back to BAU.
    That's definitely possible, and quite easy to do already. The question is do those antibodies indicate immunity or recovery?

Hackey Thread Lurker since 2010
    I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

The subdivision of my company where I'm employed is developing antibody detection kits. We already make products for other antibody detection and monitoring. About all I can say about it though since I'm not really in the R&D area and all those ethics of "Can't divulge any company information that isn't publicly available."

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

There's a reason we don't make untested medicine widely available archi. Just cause hindsight is 20/20 doesn't mean we should have blindly innoculated millions with an untested vaccine.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I would prefer not to.
    Moms Spaghetti
    Philly Special

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrath View Post
    If Hillary had just gone to the midwest and won the 2016 election we'd have had 100k less deaths.

I say we lock her up.
    this was the only good post on this page

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    There's a reason we don't make untested medicine widely available archi. Just cause hindsight is 20/20 doesn't mean we should have blindly innoculated millions with an untested vaccine.

Testing for "safe enough relative to a global pandemic" safety is pretty quick and easy.

Efficacy testing is what takes time, time we should've spent mass producing and making it available.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane View Post
    Testing for "safe enough relative to a global pandemic" safety is pretty quick and easy.

Efficacy testing is what takes time, time we should've spent mass producing and making it available.
    Again, hindsight is 20/20

thalidomide type disasters miss us cause we're careful with medicine, especially when our high deaths are partly to blame cause of poor leadership in the crisis, not a lack of knowledge on how to mitigate risks.

BG Level

Our failure to be more proactive with vaccination is a much, much larger disaster than thalidomide.

And having poor leadership is yet another point in the column of "push vaccine administration harder"

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Hindsight is 20/20

I prefer my vaccines properly tested before rolled out to all Americans tyvm

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

I am used to abusing the immune system for molecular biology reasons but don't know much about the normal cascades there. Antibody immunoreactivity measures might be the lowest hanging fruit but idk if they are what we should actually measure.

People that do know should come up with a list of candidates, we should test for all of them (at least initially) post-vaccination, and then we should see who gets COVID.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane View Post
    But this thread is really putting a fine point on the expression "one death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic".
    more so the Dunning–Kruger effect

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

I think Archi took an early trial vaccine and it gifted him the gift of hindsight

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

or lowered his intelligence, idk

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

Well what he's suggesting isn't wrong from a certain standpoint but it's just not practical.

There's a reason we don't rush treatments out when they're efficacious.

BG Level

We rushed out a number of treatments of dubious efficacy during this exact pandemic lol

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Dubious efficacy and safety when we have a growing anri-science / anti-vax movement and need complete or near-complete adherence to vaccination recommendations to have a shot at returning to BAU in the next two years.

Your idea was dumb and if you don't understand why then you are dumb.