+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Apple's Updated Browser     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Apple's Updated Browser

Ive been using Safari since I made the switch to a MBP about a year ago. This last update added a shield type icon next to the URL line. It shows that it blocks trackers from profiling me. Anyone know how this works and what benefits it actually has? Does it mean that I will no longer see targeted ads based on my browsing history?

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

https://www.macworld.com/article/333...not-track.html

It looks like they're implementing a limited version of cookie control that prevents advertisers from sending you cookies and tracking you across sites. That's actually pretty rad and it is about the best you can do client-side without a VPN.

TBF if you see Apple as being in competition with google, it makes a ton of sense for them to implement stricter anti-tracking policies as it will hurt Google's bottom line by making their advertising targeting worse.

Who's driving? Oh my God Bear is driving! How can that be??
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

It gets better with iOS or at least it will. Right now apps give you a warning as to what they require access to such as your cameras. Next year apps will require permission if they want to track users across websites or other apps. For instance, if the Facebook App wants to track you across websites or other apps, it has to has for permission first. This was supposed to roll out in iOS14 but some companies (mostly Facebook) cried foul so Apple gave them until early next year to get their Apps ready for this new security feature.