+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Well, it didn't take long to prove me wrong about Kendal winning every time.
    and she beat Kendal at least twice, since the first heat was Katie/Mark winners. I really wonder how many total heats they went, because even the act of repeatedly pulling the rope to your side at the start probably really sucks.

Going straight to the final after next week? That would leave six people of each sex left for the final, seems like a lot. I guess a two week final could have a couple of purges in there somewhere. And didn't they say there was only one winner, regardless of gender? Something isn't adding up.
    One thing that stood out to me is that someone on the show (Jisela?) even made a point about how there were a lot of people still around. "Final" is now such a loosely defined term. I hope they use all that time and just do cuts at multiple stages, because that'd suck if they just put 2 teams of 6 and use that as the only cut. Then again, that would ironically feel so "old school" with how teams would be stuck with certain people heading into the final, or at least worrying about it.

Death by snoo snoo
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syntax Error
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

Quote Originally Posted by Xno Kappa View Post
    Man they cut so much drama and hook ups from double agents according to the reunion lol. I was robbed of a championship!
    Inexcusable for a 90 minute show IMO. The dailies and elims weren’t that interesting

Also Marks Twitter seems to suggest that him and Laterrian were battling it out in the elimination for more than 90 minutes

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

All-Stars Thoughts:

Spoiler: show

This challenge is pretty cool. Prediction: Alton and Kelly Anne win.
    Jemmye: Jisela, thank you for setting the bar so low. Indeed.
    Big Easy looking pretty spry for a fat guy.
    Glad they're doing split guy/girl results here. The guys' size is a huge advantage.
    Aneesa doing the standard "I'm tired of going in right before the final" speech.
    Not sure why what Jisela wants matters here.
    Jemmye: "I love y'all, I just love me more." Fair.
    Easy with a good observation: Sounds like people brought checkers to a chess game and are mad about it.
    Jisela getting overly mad and ending friendships because she didn't get exactly what she wanted. Not a great look.
    Aneesa: "I don't need to prove that I'm a good person, because we all know I am." That's a pretty egotistical statement.
    Last Arena. Going to miss this set.
    Editing threw me off there, I really thought he was taking Aneesa.
    This ladder part is harder than it seems.
    That's a surprise, particularly after Jisela' knee.
    Jisela is going to be a layup in the finals.
    I really hope we see Kendal again.
    Kelly Anne has to be the overwhelming favorite amongst the women now, doesn't she?
    The guys seems more wide open. Mark, Derrick K, Alton all seem like they have a roughly equal chance.

BG Level

I completely forgot about this til seeing your post.

Something I don't understand about challenges like that, especially when they're like "aw, we didn't learn anything" from the first heat:
    1. Is the truck moving extremely slowly?
    2. Is it actually doing a loop around them?
    3. or can they really not see much anyway, outside of like maybe the final 20%?

Eric said reason he got last was because he was disqualified for touching the truck too much.

That round was kind of what I was getting at before about the format, how it's kind of fascinating in the short term, but if you give them enough time they'll have things sorted out. Aneesa voting Nehemiah had me hoping he'd pick her and possibly throw it to take her out too. Of course, she adds in after that she's considering doing snow angels. Sounds like a real competitor that is tired of people underestimating her! Aneesa, who never lies, betrays, manipulates, etc. except when she does almost every season.

Disappointed to see Nehemiah go. Kendal sort of served her purpose in the early-mid episodes, even if it's quite a hit to the # of competitive ladies for the final.

I'd say Mark is peaking at the right time, and I could see Derrick too, with Yes as a dark horse. Don't see it happening for any of those other 3 guys. On the other side, I mean... Kellyanne? Ruthie's someone that I can't count out, but like Darrell, she's barely been part of this season.

If they do purges or something, I hope for their sakes that they do them as individuals, because man that could be a lot of random unlucky people. But this got me thinking more, and with a single winner and it looking like they're maybe pairing up for several types of legs, does this really help the ladies? Puzzles and other things can be big equalizers, but just for the physical burdens, they're going to have strong partners for all it, whereas the guys may be playing the lottery.

BG Level

It came back from the last break and went to the preview and I was like "wait, what?" I guess I didn't realize how long it'd been on and didn't know it was going to stretch across two episodes.

They could have probably cut two teams up front and been fine, but overall I like how this final is set up. It doesn't seem too crowded at all for all the people that are still running. Not sure if they actually said it, but I'm assuming that the points is all for starting order for a final, solo leg. Otherwise, what if there's a tie, or if someone is out of reach into the final legs. Aneesa and Eric would be eliminated already if it's just points.

When they had Darrell carrying Ruthie in the preview, I was thinking she was hurt, not just a "k, let me handle this hill." If he goes on to win, that's probably a huge moment. Also, they showed him mentioning to bring along the tool for the bikes before they left in case they needed it. So many people had bike fails, but I forget if they did.

Yes and Darrell have been the top 2 positions on each of the first 3 legs. There's minimal scenarios where Mark (whose partner is laying on the ground) could overtake them both, and the best Alton could do is tie one of them. Darrell and Yes easily look the best out of all 10 at this point anyway. Even when they're behind or in the middle of the pack, they've been surging strong in these legs.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Thoughts:
    In the preview, Easy says "I WILL FINISH THIS FINAL." Feels like foreshadowing for the exact opposite.
    Not that I don't feel All-Stars is a legit competition, but making a final doesn't seem to matter as much. ~55% of the cast made the final.
    It still feels like Jisela is overreacting to Aneesa voting against her here.
    Interesting that Kelly Anne thinks Darrell and Yes are her main competition. Why not Mark, Derrick or Alton? Endurance concerns, maybe?
    Kelly Anne has to be the heavy female favorite here. I feel like five guys have a chance.
    Eliminating both people if one can't finish really sucks. Imagine being paired with Fessy in an eating challenge.
    Interesting that they are eliminating people at Checkpoint #2 when there are six checkpoints. After checkpoint #3 makes more sense, unless there's another elimination later.
    Points to Aneesa for being the only person to correctly pronounce "Tangram."
    They must not be able to help each other on the puzzle, or Kelly Anne would be over there helping Easy for sure.
    Kind of sad Derrick doesn't own a home already.
    TJ hanging loose in the boat by himself is very TJ.
    I had to "dry" a flipped canoe in boy scouts for my Canoeing merit badge, and you had to have another canoe to make it work. Or at least very shallow water / shore. Not sure how this is going to work.
    Oh, looks like they have production there. Maybe just for safety?
    Or maybe they're just going to skip over that whole part.
    "I'm really excited that they're drowning!" - Jonna
    Jisela - "This is so fucking far!" Part way into leg one of (at least) a six leg final.
    They actually showed a very brief shot of Jonna/Darrell approaching the shore with a full view of production. Not sure I've seen that before.
    Nice sound overlay of a backing up truck during Jisela and Derrick's Canoe Misadventure.
    Tethered together on bikes seems dangerous.
    Jemmye: "I don't ride bikes with gears!"
    Smart of Darrell to bring the tool along with them.
    Jonna: "I didn't realize how grueling and demanding this was going to be." Really? Have you watched a final in the last 10 years? Maybe people were assuming Champs vs. Pros, and they got regular Challenge.
    Aneesa and Big Easy are well suited for being partnered on the sprint phase.
    If they have to do a single winner, this is actually a pretty good format - points based entirely on finish placement when paired with every other partner.
    This Carolina Reaper thing appears to be much tougher than I would have thought. Might be the combination of reaper plus running.
    Jemmye: "I'm from New Orleans, this isn't that bad."
    Jemmye, two minutes later: "I might die."
    This is a real final. Looking forward to next week.

BG Level

Interesting that they are eliminating people at Checkpoint #2 when there are six checkpoints. After checkpoint #3 makes more sense, unless there's another elimination later.
    But then someone surviving the cut could have someone they never paired with get eliminated. The way they explained it confused me, but mostly because they called completing the puzzle the first checkpoint. Just call the end of the canoe portion the 1st checkpoint.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Vil View Post
    But then someone surviving the cut could have someone they never paired with get eliminated. The way they explained it confused me, but mostly because they called completing the puzzle the first checkpoint. Just call the end of the canoe portion the 1st checkpoint.
    Yeah, it made sense once it happened. It just didn't make sense at the time.

Found this on Reddit, I'm going to assume it's correct through 3 checkpoints:

Yes - 14
    Darrell - 13
    Jonna - 12
    Jemmye - 11
    Kellyanne - 8
    Mark - 8
    Ruthie - 8
    Alton - 7
    Aneesa - 6
    Easy - 3

GATTACA!

BG Level

The peppers are looking like a bad choice. I'd prefer the normal gross food since it captures the mental challenge/"desire" that it's aiming to test

Darrell and others pass that part with flying colors but they're at the mercy of their insides going haywire, totally out of their control. Just doesn't seem fair or like compelling TV

Overall I think the final has been a good example that you can keep things relatively simple and still have a good final

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

BG Level

Ahhh, so it really just was straight points-based finish. Considering the top 4 going into the final were 21-20-19-18, it could have got real messy at the top other than just that tie for 3rd.

I still think going back to the well with the reapers felt kind of unneeded especially when there was a legit eating portion, but glad to see actual eating considering how many stages there were. lol @ the reactions to that. Ruthie, Yes, and Alton loving it. Then Eric and Jemmye with the craven behavior trying to give each other the ok to quit so they don't have to be the one to do it. I think it was during the food portion that Eric's all talking about a comeback. You're no Minoru Suzuki.

Alton wanting to be a super partner during the overnight portion while bitching about Kellyanne's whining and Yes's overly positive acting moved Alton from someone I was like "eh, maybe he's done. I wouldn't care if he doesn't do another" back to someone I'd probably like to see again.

Going into the final leg, I might have given Yes a slight edge to win, like 50-45 over Darrell, but then there's that comment about if Darrell knows it's a marathon not a sprint and that Yes does adventure runs for fun and it was just going to be a matter of when he got passed. Glad it was more a case of Yes having a smooth pace through it and not Darrell totally gassing out. They both had great performances in that final and destroyed the field, Yes was just slightly better.

Overall, fun little season here. Hopefully they'll do another. There are some people that surprised me and I'd like to see again, but realize that it probably wouldn't work for them in the main challenge, and also some people I'd seen quite enough of from this.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Thoughts:
    All-Stars ended up being more like the Challenge than I feel like the Challenge has become these days.
    Yes was a very deserving winner. No complaints, but definitely a surprise. Beforehand, I figured Darrell, Mark and Derrick would be the top three, but I also knew there were a lot of people whose capabilities I didn't know.
    Yes also seems like a very good human being. Of course, winners often get that edit.
    TJ on a horse is great. That outfit was so uncharacteristic of TJ's normal garb that it would perfectly.
    Darrell calling horses callaberos was also great.
    I didn't like that the last bit ended up being a straight race; it basically eliminated any chance Kelly Anne and Jonna had of winning, and they were right there up until the end. The first day of the Challenge was great as far as mixed gender partners. Splitting it up at the end and doubling the points gave men a huge advantage that could only be overcome if a woman had a huge advantage on Day One. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: there should be one winner of each sex per season on individual seasons.
    Was glad to see everyone finish, particulary Big Easy and Aneesa.
    All-Stars is very much a normal season in the way that Champs vs. Pros is not. Would love to see Yes on the normal show.
    I think I'm thinking forward to the next All-Stars season more than I am the normal season.
    I would like to see Aneesa stay on All-Stars and call it a career for the normal show.

And now we have some time off. Would be nice if they alternated challenge seasons and regular seasons so there was only a week or two between both and very little - if any - overlap.

GATTACA!

BG Level

Really enjoyed the season - similar to Byrd's thoughts, this season had much more of what I've always liked from this franchise than the "normal" seasons do now.

Plenty of drama but a lot of pure competition, some nice camaraderie, etc. Go figure, it's actually better to watch people that are enjoying themselves versus people that are miserable and on the verge of mental breakdowns

Hopefully the MTV producers take copious notes and bring the normal seasons back to this

Also agree that there HAS to be a male and female winner if you're going to treat the last leg like that. It's about as blatantly unfair as if they had to do a bench press competition. Kelly Anne and Jonna deserved a legitimate battle for money instead of a meaningless race for also-ran

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk