RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Souj View Post
    The first Kickstarter book, Tress and the Emerald Sea is Cosmere. The writing style is definitely different and the reason for that is revealed at 7% in the book, which is also where it was confirmed for me to be Cosmere.

This was a very neat surprise, so even though it’s pretty early, it was neat to discover and I wouldn’t want to ruin the surprise. But, if you didn’t plan on reading it at all but are big on Cosmere, this fact might get you to read it:
    Spoiler: show
    The book is apparently being narrated by Hoid. I don’t know what comes of it, as I’m not much farther than that.
    I'm around 15% in, just commenting on this

I kinda had a feeling it was gonna be him from how quipy the narration was right from the start.

Nice surprise because I've kept myself mostly in the dark about these 4 books

Ridill
    BG Level

I hadn’t even considered it was being narrated by a character, just thought it was a different authorial voice he chose to use that is normal publishers wouldn’t have allowed him to otherwise.

Ridill
    BG Level

More Tress and Emerald Sea- spoilers for the entire book.

After a few days removed from the book, I have to say, I really want more whimsical adventures from people from all over the Cosmere. The Cosmere stuff in The Lost Metal was my least favorite part of that book, but here I’m wanting a lot more.

I liked how Crow was ultimately taken out, but it did feel a little bit anticlimactic.
    And Sanderson finally used an actual dragon in one of his books. He’s held off for so long.

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Finished this a few days ago

I actually really liked how Crow was taken out. Tress never does any big crazy magic powers, she just uses her brains and common sense. It was a nice change of pace.

The dragon had some metal? He mentioned rare metals being found in dragon corpses. Dragonsteel? Is that where the name comes from? D:

I'm ready for more one off cosmere books. Not sure if any of the other secret projects are set in Cosmere or not. I've mostly stayed blind about them

Ridill
    BG Level

Dragonsteel, yeah. I don’t think it was mentioned what special properties it has though. And yeah, I was fine with how Tress overcame her, especially for as whimsical the book was, I was just surprised we didn’t see more of her power. Or even get more than a glimpse at what a Seed Eater or w/e it was called could really do before that point.

I would be fine if they’re all like Tress and the Emerald Sea. Big ole Cosmere smorgasbords.

Hackey Thread Lurker since 2010
    I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

I enjoyed it. Now diving into the Coppermind.

So the Sorceress Riina is from Sel (her curses are Aons) who has access to many types of Investiture tools - Lightweaving, Awakening, and (probably an Investiture powered) SPACESHIP. She was mentioned in Secret History as part of the Sel expedition to steal Preservation. I guess Tress winning against her wasn't that bad when you think of her motivations. She lost her image of being the all powerful one especially when Tress and crew grew a spine and didn't fear her anymore. Ending wrapped it up neatly enough that I was satisfied with the happy end.

Nice to see Aether get formally introduced after The Lost Metal after Twinsoul's use of rosite.

Ulaam reminded me of Miracle Max.

And I think we all agree Hoid with the storytelling is the best.

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by synistar View Post
    I enjoyed it. Now diving into the Coppermind.

So the Sorceress Riina is from Sel (her curses are Aons) who has access to many types of Investiture tools - Lightweaving, Awakening, and (probably an Investiture powered) SPACESHIP. She was mentioned in Secret History as part of the Sel expedition to steal Preservation. I guess Tress winning against her wasn't that bad when you think of her motivations. She lost her image of being the all powerful one especially when Tress and crew grew a spine and didn't fear her anymore. Ending wrapped it up neatly enough that I was satisfied with the happy end.

Nice to see Aether get formally introduced after The Lost Metal after Twinsoul's use of rosite.

Ulaam reminded me of Miracle Max.

And I think we all agree Hoid with the storytelling is the best.
    Re; Ulaam

He's a Kandra right?

I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrath View Post
    Re; Ulaam

He's a Kandra right?
    Yes. It's straight up explicit. Page 312.
    And there. After only a few days of trying, she’d discovered more
    about helping me than Ulaam had in our year together. That stupid
    shapeshifter was enjoying this. I swear, they’ve all been getting weirder
    ever since Sazed released them.

Ridill
    BG Level

that and the sorceress saying she had an acid bath ready to take care of Ulaam. They’re going to be all over the place now, since in Lost Metal it was said they were sent all over the Cosmere.

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Since Sazed released them might even have broader implications than what he did in Lost Metal. I'm wondering when this is set in the cosmere timeline

Ridill
    BG Level

After Lost Metal would be my guess, since aforementioned Kandra scouts sent out. And after Emperor’s Soul since the girl from that is in Lost Metal. Elantris I’m not sure. Warbreaker I’m not sure. Haven’t read those in a long time nor read up on wiki info.

BG Level

Even Brando Sando thinks Alloy of Law is his weakest/worst Cosmere novel

So you "Wax and Wayne sucks" crowd won in the end.

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Just leave it alone and write Era 3 lol

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size