FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mrbeansman View Post
    This is why you annoy me you're coming at this from the perspective of someone who is gonna be working and getting paid regardless if schools are open or not. The hourly school staff that wont have a job if schools aren't open arent so lucky. I get that it really doesn't really matter now that UI bonuses are set in stone but that was far from the case back in August.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    Except in CA the state made it so no staff person was laid off due to the pandemic.
    Schools weren't allowed to do that.
    [edit] If you are referring to non-school workers because they didn't have a babysitter anymore that is the STATES/FED fault for not taking care of its people.
    That's not on the teachers. That's on our messed up capitalist country that allowed CEOS to earn billions more in dollars during the pandemic, yet couldn't help pay people to be able to stay home.
    Ok. I can chime in on this, since for the past few years I have been a school crossing guard in LA.

Starting in March last year, I was furloughed, no pay, straight to unemployment.
    I do not know if I return to work with the schools opening over the next two weeks. I've received no contact from my company since last year (I work for a company contracted to provide crossing guard services, not directly for the school system).
    I contacted my regional manager last week (the supervisors between us and them were furloughed as well, we were told not to try and contact them), no response.
    I'll be calling the headquarters this week if that continues to be the case. (It's possible that the expected student volume is such that it's a "services are not currently needed" situation, dunno.)

So, as exactly someone with skin in the game that mrbeansman is using as an example, here's my stance:
    The schools should be closed for in person classes (except, maybe, for special ed students), until the children, their parents, and all school staff are vaccinated. That's the safe thing to do.
    The school year ends in two months anyway, the target for reopening should have been the 2021 fall school year to begin with.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Cantih View Post
    Ok. I can chime in on this, since for the past few years I have been a school crossing guard in LA.

Starting in March last year, I was furloughed, no pay, straight to unemployment.
    I do not know if I return to work with the schools opening over the next two weeks. I've received no contact from my company since last year (I work for a company contracted to provide crossing guard services, not directly for the school system).
    I contacted my regional manager last week (the supervisors between us and them were furloughed as well, we were told not to try and contact them), no response.
    I'll be calling the headquarters this week if that continues to be the case. (It's possible that the expected student volume is such that it's a "services are not currently needed" situation, dunno.)

So, as exactly someone with skin in the game that mrbeansman is using as an example, here's my stance:
    The schools should be closed for in person classes (except, maybe, for special ed students), until the children, their parents, and all school staff are vaccinated. That's the safe thing to do.
    The school year ends in two months anyway, the target for reopening should have been the 2021 fall school year to begin with.
    Thank you for the clarification. As I understood it, no one was allowed to be laid off. I guess crossing guards weren't part of it.

First and foremost, I am sympathetic to those who lost their jobs during this time. It royally sucked. I hope you can get back to work soon.

With that being said, the struggles someone like you had deals more with the state who should have paid you enough for it to not matter.

Thank you for understanding what's up.

Actually funny in the sense that this is a pretty lib-heavy forum, and are usually pro-union. Well, the union did what it did to protect its members.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

I'm sure employees weren't laid off. Contracting companies probably reached an agreement to no longer provide services, which means they fired all their employees asap.

It's rare to have janitors, crossing guards, vendors, etc. that actually legally work for the place where they do all their work these days.