1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 17 hours, 56 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 6 hours, 3 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 10 hours, 56 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 3 days, 23 hours, 3 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Starting FFXIV in 2021     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

No, they're not using the same engine at all just because there are some functional similarities. That's not how this works. Yes, XIV takes some inspiration from WoW and there's nothing wrong with that if they copy the good things.

High numbers are cumbersome sure, that's why they're reducing them in the upcoming expansion, but I don't get your point - after you play the game for a while you can tell which values are low or high for damage etc., doesn't matter if it's 100 or 100k.

Remake of XI is not happening.

Feels like bot gibberish to me.

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

It is a spam bot. Look at the post history.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Well I'll be damned, I'm getting old letting myself get baited like that D;

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Corrderio View Post
    It is a spam bot. Look at the post history.
    The email on the account is legit, though.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Well since the bot bumped this anyway, if any new BGers need a recruit a friend code lmk. Need 5 more feathers for my twintania whistle.

King Bitcher of Bitchington
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Chuggs M'koul
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

is every novice network full of cringey ass people treating it like it's their twitter page or is it just gay faerie server?

As a global channel, you can pretty much expect it to be a shitshow. The people who actually know what's up and mean well have probably long abandoned it, with what's left being the other newbies or tryhards who only want the crown tag.

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Has anybody seen Mankrik's wife?

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Proudmoore

Thinking of starting this game for the story (especially Ivalice) and probably can allocate 2-3 hours/week. I am really in for the story, music and general aesthetics. I've got no end game aspirations or high level/great gear.

How viable is it for such gameplay?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Go ahead and enjoy the ride. There's no problem playing the game in short period of times if you don't plan on end game riding

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Proudmoore

Awesome then, thanks!

Before you dump hundreds of hours into the game, I'd say to temper your expectations on the Ivalice stuff. It's a wink and nod kind of homage at best.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Proudmoore

That’s a serious time commitment indeed. My priority is to feel the general world of FFXIV, so I guess I’ll just see how it goes.

2-3 hours a week won't really get you anywhere fast, and the Ivalice stuff is the level 70 raid series. I imagine someone could rush there in under 100 hours, but I feel like it'd be a disservice to the game as a whole. At the very least, you'll be able to milk the trial a while.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Mayareira View Post
    That’s a serious time commitment indeed. My priority is to feel the general world of FFXIV, so I guess I’ll just see how it goes.
    As arus2001 said, don't pay a single thing yet! Just do the trial, you'll easily squeeze 200+ hours out of it if you take it slow and easy.

Just a quick note, there's 2 versions of the game which is fundamentally the same, but picking one will stick you on that platform permanently!

Steam - if you start the trial from steam, you'll need to buy the game and future expansions from steam
    PC (standalone client) - if you start the trial by downloading the game from the official site, you can buy the game from the official site store or other 3rd party retailers that offer the none steam version for sale

PS4/PS5 - a completely separate purchase/license, but if you want to play on here you'll need to buy the game and its expansions again

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Proudmoore

Steam surprisingly doesn't have the Mac version so I went ahead and downloaded the Mac client from SE website. I may also be playing on PC laptop (its an ultrabook with an intel gfx processor so we'll see). Official site seems to be the way to go.

Will definitely consider PS4 as well, I'll just have to purchase the game right? Afterwards I can simply log on to my SE account and my characters will be there?

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Yeah it’s like FFXI was, cross platform but you still have to buy separate PC/console versions.

Don’t buy it yet though, you can play the free trial all the way to level 60 and the end of the Heavensward expansion with no restrictions on play time.

The Ivalice raids aren’t available until the end of Stormblood so you’ve got a long road ahead of you at 2-3 hours a week.

The newest expansion, Endwalker, is dropping in early December so the servers might be facing stability issues with so many people trying to play.

It’s definitely a lot of fun though. Just don’t go in to with the idea that it’s going to be like FFXI. Except for a few aesthetics, the gameplay is totally different.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Ah, if you're playing on Mac, that too is a separate license. So if you want to play on your Windows laptop, you will need to buy the game again!

Also, as Anoat said, don't pay anything yet. Play up to the trial's limit first to see how receptive you are to the game!

And by the time endwalker comes out, buying that only will cover all the previous expansions of the game!

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

You'd also need to go through Bozja to get the rest of the Ivalice lore nuggets which isn't until lv80