BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Slam Dunk (2022 - 3rd December)

Movie 5 announced by author. No details yet though but it's animated:

https://twitter.com/inouetake/status...26926569803776

Ideally it'll cover the Sannoh match which was omitted from the anime due to low ratings apparently, I forget, (the remainder of the final episodes lead up to a practice match with current characters acting in as their equivalents from Sannoh instead, leading to the main team boarding a bullet train to the nationals as the anime wrapped up)

Hoping it's not some OG story or something lame that's set inbetween stories (i.e. Movie 2 featured a match that omitted from the manga AND the anime which was just mentioned. Movie 3 featured a practice match that was never mentioned but happened after the team's first loss, though the antagonists did make a small cameo in the anime as spectators. Movie 4 featured a side story based on a little moment one of the protagonists had during his finals match). Otherwise if anything I'll accept a movie covering the team's professional career in a time skip fashion.

Well, with no videos or anything, here's a link to the first opening! Lets dance!

edit: If anyone is bored, do check out the anime and/or manga. It's one of the original sports series which spawned stuff like Kuroko's Basket, as well as increased the popularity of basketball in Japan back in the 90s! Watching the development of the main character is a joy and there's lots of nice dramatic moments.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Trailer dropped!

Some observations:

Voice actors have been replaced
    Maybe first half is based on a prequel manga called "piercing" but it's hard to tell
    Maybe in the trailer they are playing Sannoh but it could be anyone at this point, too early to tell

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Irrelevant bump but there's probably not as much interest here for this somewhat obscure/older anime but I went to the cinema to watch it tonight! I thought I should insert my "closure" to this thread even if no one posts lol

The movie was lovely animated in 3D. Similar to Dragon Ball Super Super Heroes (DBSSH) it's initially slightly jarring but then it becomes very natural. While DBSSH gave it a slightly Cel Shaded look I feel the film here gave it a sketch like aesthetic. Anyways, if you were a manga reader and anime watcher, this film may shock you depending on your tolerance level!

There is nothing really to be spoiled but as per tradition into the spoiler tag it goes! I might edit it out in a couple of years lol:

Spoiler: show
    The protaganist is Miyagi Ryota (the short point guard). Sakuragi Hanamichi is moved to be less of a focus, but still relevant. All other characters get a similar treatment.
    The film literally launches you into the Sannoh match with little to no build up. If you didn't read the manga or watch the anime I feel most of this will make very little sense to you although it does tell a story that allows a newcomer to sort of see what's going on.
    The entire Sannoh match is covered (the last 70? chapters of the manga), though a bit of it is glossed over from the first half. For example, if you literally didn't know about Sakuragi at all, though the film adapted the first very first shot of the game like for like where Miyagi and Sakuragi makes a face and the shot went in, to their shock, a newcomer would not know the relevance here.
    The film is more dramatic/serious than what you would expect. A lot of the comedic elements are toned down.
    The entire shifts between Miyagi's past and his life to the present day game. The other characters get their own as well, but not as prominent as Miyagi. There isn't much to say really about it other than that it just tell a story from another perspective. There some slight adjustments/modifications but nothing too damning.
    The soundtrack is really good and builds up the hype well. I do miss the anime soundtrack though but it is what it is.
    The SOUNDS are very realistic, gone are the loud and/or funny sound effects for most of the film.
    I very much enjoyed the film regardless. Some people are definitely put off with the change in protagonist but it's ok I suppose.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I never did get into this series but meant to watch.

Knowing how ridiculous and addicting sports anime can be, well, I'm sure it'll be fun.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag