RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Byrthnoth View Post
    I know the point is that his popularity is suffering a bit, but 38% approve of him still. People are so god damned dumb.
    74 mil votes mang. We know.

Duplicitous Jew with Political Aspirations
    BG Level

W's low was 22% so I'm surprised to learn we care more about the unnecessary deaths of Iraqi citizens more than we do about 400,000 casualties at home.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot View Post
    W's low was 22% so I'm surprised to learn we care more about the unnecessary deaths of Iraqi citizens more than we do about 400,000 casualties at home.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk
    I'm not. Isn't most of the covid deaths poor/immigrant families?

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shanoa Varhara
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

If there is one thing Trump did for America, he showed the true colors of the Republican party. That moral high horse they have been riding for the last 20~ years was all hot air. Not that anyone with a brain didn't already see that, but this will give more proof to the younger generation.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Lokus View Post

Pseudo-Elitist
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Yabby View Post
    If there is one thing Trump did for America, he showed the true colors of the Republican party. That moral high horse they have been riding for the last 20~ years was all hot air. Not that anyone with a brain didn't already see that, but this will give more proof to the younger generation.
    Yeah I'm not exactly hopeful for 'the youth' given how a lot of the internet looks these days.

Or maybe I'm just old.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

I doubt it, because you either agree with what they're saying or you don't. Showing the "younger generation" doesn't do anything if the younger generation adopts the same philosophies. Someone is going to hate brown people or they aren't. Someone is going to want to fight with the "other" side or they won't.

There is no magic pill to get people to "wake up" and see the bullshit. People are gonna choose what they're gonna choose. Education is the biggest weapon we have, but that's why anti-intellectualism pushes are so poisonous. People valuing their opinions and their faith over fact is what ruins societies again and again.

I wrote up something, but it got eaten and i don't feel like writing it back up.

tl:dr: I meant how education/history books will write these events, as they tend to be more factual without much spin. By doing so, it should turn a lot of students away from the party that was complacent in these events.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. I mean, we still get the south effectively scrubbing the events of the civil war to make them come off as the victims, ultimately perpetuating the Confederacy to this day. As is, one also needn't look too hard within gaming or anime cultures, which are typically viewed as juvenile activities, to see right-wing influences trying to assert dominance, too. The shit simply will not go away as long as we cling to compromising half-measures.

I don't know what others experienced, but i grew up in Oklahoma and those books didn't try to make confederates out as anything but people that loved having slaves. That was 15 years ago tho...

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Athas View Post
    Yeah I'm not exactly hopeful for 'the youth' given how a lot of the internet looks these days.

Or maybe I'm just old.
    Why do you hate Sea Shanties?

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

I don't know what others experienced, but i grew up in Oklahoma and those books didn't try to make confederates out as anything but people that loved having slaves. That was 15 years ago tho...
    I can concur on this sentiment, although there was talk of states' rights, it was clear slavery was the major factor.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

They must have done them a bit better than when I was in school. It was "states rights" all the way, lol.

I remember them saying states rights, but would follow it with "The state rights to own slaves". Crazy.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shanoa Varhara
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Didn't AG mention just a couple months ago that he had a professor teaching that the Civil War wasn't really about slaves but that the North wanted to break up the economic power of the South due in part to the slaves? It was some headass take and I'm probably butchering what he was going for but it def wasn't slavery as the spark for the war.

My AP History class was def on the State's Rights train though with slavery playing second fiddle.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Lucavi View Post
    I doubt it, because you either agree with what they're saying or you don't. Showing the "younger generation" doesn't do anything if the younger generation adopts the same philosophies. Someone is going to hate brown people or they aren't. Someone is going to want to fight with the "other" side or they won't.

There is no magic pill to get people to "wake up" and see the bullshit. People are gonna choose what they're gonna choose. Education is the biggest weapon we have, but that's why anti-intellectualism pushes are so poisonous. People valuing their opinions and their faith over fact is what ruins societies again and again.
    This exactly. I still recall the Covington KY high school class that antagonized others at the capitol. Republicans hailed them as the next generation of their ideals.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Exactly. People keep saying "the next generation will get it" and I used to buy into that until I saw nearly my entire graduating get jobs, spit out a few kids, start visiting country clubs and all of a sudden were full-blown right-wingers. There is no "next generation". Its a fallacy. People choose what they want. Free will means the freedom to hate others for whatever stupid reason.

The best you can do is present enough education and incentivize being a well-read baller. No book on legitimate history, however, is going to make someone who likes their race better than any other suddenly turn into an idealized democrat. Lots of the rich white demos cant stand black folks as well, they just talk a good game.

Humanity cannot change until humanity evolves, just like every other species on the planet. We're the way we are until we blow up this rock enough to force an evolution onto our bodies and brains. Tribalism will never be gone while humans are humans.

The "next generation"? You mean the next generation of the exact same species? Lets see if today's trees act any different from yesterday's trees. I fucking doubt it. If you believe that, history isn't on your side.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Litz Zatsuza
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I'm no fan of conservatives at all but sitting here pretending that northerners wanted to see blacks come up is a big fat lie that a lot of Democrats lie to themselves about to feel like they're the good guys.

Ideologically this country is fucked for anyone but white people and white people are in the midst of some really scary shit amongst each other let alone any POCs that live here.

I'm getting older and getting a lot more jaded with both sides but I will ride the progressive train because it makes more sense for someone like me.

However my trust in the ideology of what this country is supposed to stand for is all but gone because a significant amount of people want to see it all burn for reasoning that can't be defined as nothing but evil. All this while the other side is still asking themselves if they should do something about it when it's clear to the vulnerable that something should've been done years ago.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

Honestly I agree with the above - the next generation will never get it until enough people evolve to support global tribalism where this shit isn't so divisive.

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 149 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 ... LastLast