1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 21 hours, 32 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 2 hours, 27 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 6 days, 14 hours, 32 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in -5 hours, -33 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 79 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 27 35 75 ... LastLast

I am very excited about monk again after years of let down. Reaper does look fun af though.

Quote Originally Posted by Gokulo View Post
    Scholar and Astrologian were there already. How did they take away from other jobs?
    I’m saying shielding inherently takes gameplay away. Like if I don’t have any shields, I heal anyone until they go through your shields. Your shields arguably take healing gameplay from me. That’s not really true for damage classes. Whether you have burst, sustained, dots, or whatever, how that damage goes across, that’s not going to affect other people’s rotations.

That’s why I’m surprised they’re going for another shield specialized healer. It’s tricky to find an archetype for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by carlweathers View Post
    I’m saying shielding inherently takes gameplay away. Like if I don’t have any shields, I heal anyone until they go through your shields. Your shields arguably take healing gameplay from me. That’s not really true for damage classes. Whether you have burst, sustained, dots, or whatever, how that damage goes across, that’s not going to affect other people’s rotations.

That’s why I’m surprised they’re going for another shield specialized healer. It’s tricky to find an archetype for everyone.
    That's such a wierd take on this.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Come 7.0 they'll give up and just allow shields to stack (and weakening them in the process to require both healers to shield on prog raid), and turn every healer into SCH.

Quote Originally Posted by Takiwaki View Post
    That's such a wierd take on this.
    is it? Idk, i thought it was something other healers think about. Especially in XIV where shields don’t stack.

Pseudo-Elitist
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Mitigating damage is usually in the toolkit of anything falling under the healer architype in any RPG.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

is it? Idk, i thought it was something other healers think about. Especially in XIV where shields don’t stack.
    It's never been something I think about as a healer.

Like I said, it's not like shields allow people to just ignore mechanics. If my co-healer throws out a Barrier before an unavoidable AoE, it doesn't completely negate all of the damage the AoE did, but it does mean the heal I started casting before the AoE went off will be enough to top people off so that I can go back to dealing damage.

Never once have I thought "Damn it, I wish the other healer would not use barrier so that I can heal!" or "Damn it, I wish the other healer wouldn't cast barrier so that I can cast TWO heals instead of one!"

There's more to playing healer than just healing. Like, healers don't just sit there waiting for people's HP to go down and then throw a heal, and get annoyed that they don't get a chance to heal because the other healer is casting barrier to stop people from getting hurt. Like the off tank don't stand around twiddling his thumbs while the main tank has aggro, the healers don't stand around twiddling their thumbs just because there's no one to heal at the moment.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Uzor View Post
    Never once have I thought "Damn it, I wish the other healer would not use barrier so that I can heal!" or "Damn it, I wish the other healer wouldn't cast barrier so that I can cast TWO heals instead of one!"

There's more to playing healer than just healing. Like, healers don't just sit there waiting for people's HP to go down and then throw a heal, and get annoyed that they don't get a chance to heal because the other healer is casting barrier to stop people from getting hurt. Like the off tank don't stand around twiddling his thumbs while the main tank has aggro, the healers don't stand around twiddling their thumbs just because there's no one to heal at the moment.
    Oddly enough, what you described here seems to match my WoW healer friend when he main healed from 2008-2012 before quitting the game. I think it's maybe more of a WoW mentality though, but he cares about how much he heals and how much he is over healing, and also working with the other healers to heal the correct people.

I understand in WoW incoming damage is higher and also rather extreme (bosses 2 shotting none tanks) and I do recall my HP bar as tank going up and down rapidly, so it might be more intense on that side to make him think like that.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Gonna agree with these other doods. Skillful deployment of shields is a valuable and sometimes lifesaving commodity. They take the edge off and increase the threshold at which the party can either fuck up (common in xiv) or allows undergeared players to more easily survive punishing mechanics. They don't come close to eliminating the need for healing or drastically reduce the role of the other healer though.

Maybe there'd be a tiny argument for it back when SCH was disgusting busted, before they changed Adlo shield to Galvanize and shit on deployment tactics and when you could load a fuckstrong shield onto a WAR.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

Snapshot cucks me majority of the time when it comes to having shields apply for big hits, biggest offenders are in E12S, UCOB and TEA things just seem to snapshot way ahead of the actual castbar.

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    Oddly enough, what you described here seems to match my WoW healer friend when he main healed from 2008-2012 before quitting the game. I think it's maybe more of a WoW mentality though, but he cares about how much he heals and how much he is over healing, and also working with the other healers to heal the correct people.

I understand in WoW incoming damage is higher and also rather extreme (bosses 2 shotting none tanks) and I do recall my HP bar as tank going up and down rapidly, so it might be more intense on that side to make him think like that.
    Oh yeah, it’s for sure a WoW healer mentality. Probably because you spend so much time healing in that game rather than damage rotations. So my comment about “taking away gameplay” was especially true in WoW since dps gameplay isn’t anything to write home about. + you might care about competing in healing meters in that game.

You can imagine if a shield healer was super strong like when scholar was busted or disc priests in Wrath, there wouldn’t be much to heal for other healers. That’s the point I’m trying to make.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

FFXIV nowadays is pretty well balanced. There’s no class that just outperforms all others so much that there’s no need to play other classes.

And there’s definitely overhealing to take into consideration in FFXIV. You generally don’t want to overheal too much because then you’re not helping damage enough. Doesn’t matter as much once raids are farm status when everyone is geared out, but for first clears it definitely matters for DPS checks. Later on it’s mostly for clear speed.

But yeah, healing mentality differs a lot between ffxiv and wow I guess. The optimal healer builds in FFXIV are usually about maximizing damage, not healing. Which is why direct hit was so popular for WHM this time around for one of the BiS builds.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

So I forget what happens.

I pre-ordered Endwalker (standard) and got my earring and minion, but noticed I don't have the full code yet. I guess the retailer I ordered it from will send it to me on release day (or early access day)? I looked and it didn't say lol

edit: nevermind, as i posted this I found a little faq button about pre purchases:

For pre-purchase games, you will not receive your game immediately at the point of pre-purchase, rather, you will receive a key or activation link on the day of release (or a day or two beforehand dependant on the game publisher). We cannot guarantee that you'll be able to preload; however, we are in constant talks with the publisher to ensure games are released as early as possible.
    Just gotta be patient now, I was slightly worried something went wrong with the order

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shanoa Varhara
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Same thing that happens every expansion. You get the code close to the early access period.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Yeah I just haven't preordered since Shadowbringers and completely forgot what preordering is like haha

I also ordered the base edition only for now, I figured I can save money and upgrade later when it's half price to save a bit of money (I'm just frugal). I don't really like the mount nor the minion. The weapon would be nice, but I'm sure there will be similar weapons to it.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I might pre-order for the early access but none of the in game items really appeal to me.

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

SE got me good, I only got the deluxe preorder cause only getting one of the twin minions was an OCD nightmare for me

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Vaspinne View Post
    SE got me good, I only got the deluxe preorder cause only getting one of the twin minions was an OCD nightmare for me
    I found the 2 minions less appealing to me (I'm sure there's a FFIV link but I've not played that also) so I wasn't too bothered if I only got one of the 2 because I know I can upgrade later via the mogstation. Looking at it, the standard edition costs £29.99 for me, collector is £44.99. I noticed the digital upgrade on mogstation is £15 by default, but £7.50 when on offer. My plan is to buy the upgrade when it's on sale 1 or 2 years later. Like Anoat said the items aren't as appealing this time around.

The fact the minions are a twin set made me double take on it, I was questioning in my head why the pre order and the collectors minion was the same until I noticed the name and look were slightly different haha!

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Work to Game did the lord's work and tried to locate everyone who has announced they will be attending the media tour:

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Lore based FAMITSU interview from Yoshida. Actually gets kinda deep I to some stuff from a development perspective. https://www.akhmorning.com/news/fami...-quest-in-mind

Funny, in here Yoshida says that he decided to make the WoL an inanimate board that nods sometimes because he didn't want to force the PC to react in ways that the player wouldn't want them to, because he feels our characters are supposed to be extensions of ourselves/more personal than established Canon characters like Cloud Strife who have their own established stories and personalities.

The increase in cutscene "quality" and emotion from our character in cutscenes coincides with adding the dialogue choices mid-conversation so that we as the player get to have agency over our character's response.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag