Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Drai Draken
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

The second I heard there was no rebalancing the game became a pass for me, if I want to play D2 with a bigger stash I’ll boot up the original and get PlugY lol

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

I mean, they made it perfectly clear, outside of some qol stuff, controller support for consoles, and updated graphics, it was going to be exactly the same. Not sure why so many people have shockedpikachuface.jpg over it

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

disinterested =/= shocked

Brown Recluse

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

My game on PS4 crashed twice this morning during the Izual fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Melena View Post
    I mean, they made it perfectly clear, outside of some qol stuff, controller support for consoles, and updated graphics, it was going to be exactly the same. Not sure why so many people have shockedpikachuface.jpg over it
    Well, the team that worked on it publicly said that they had actually considered doing more than what they did, but the "classic" nuts won them over and here we are with just a reskin. So, it's not like the potential for "more" was never there, but between the server fuck ups and nostalgia only going so far, I'm still expecting this to be a flop half a year from now as all the younger gamers realize this shit had problems even back then while RMT/bots go on to ruin the economy.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

this thread is somewhat lacking in D2 fans

Art Connesseur of Blue Gartr
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Odess E'iron
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I think it's more this is a game that came out 20 years ago and several if not most of us probably put more hours into it than FFXI (I know I put in thousands of hours in D2 over 7+ years) so it's more I can't get that hype over a game I've done that with.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

I was a D2 fan, and a massive one at that - in 2000. It is no longer 2000.

One of the greatest games I've ever played for the time I played it in, but that is not the game I want to play today. There are parts of it I'd love to experience again, absolutely, but not the entire product as a whole, untouched from its past self.

BG Level

given what they did to Warcraft 3 this is probably the least harm they could've done

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Was Reforged trash?

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Trash is putting it politely.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Odess E'iron
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

That shit still gets me annoyed. At least they let people refund it.

Blizzard didn't develop this though, it was Vicarious Visions, which is probably why it's not full on garbo.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane View Post
    Was Reforged trash?
    Rancid, festering trash on a 100 degree day.

Not even hyperbole.

This remaster is absolutely fine, its just not for me because things have changed mightily since 2000 and I like a bit more end-game and a bit less fucking stamina (among other things) in my iso dungeon crawlers these days.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

it's interesting because endgame is about the only part of D2 i don't love. i know i'm the exception rather than the rule as most players rush and leech quests, do only specific areas repeatedly, and sprint to Hell Andy/Meph et al. i just play the game through normally. frankly it's the best part of the game and it's skipped by some 80% of players

i think D2's mid-game, and early-endgame character progression is excellent and still more satisfying than many newer games. early game is a bit of a slog only on the first character and then it's a raucous romp with some twink gear. the lack of balance in skills is not really an issue until Hell difficulty

i'll beat Hell Baal in HC but i'll never farm an Infinity, Last Wish, Enigma, Dragon, Phoenix etc. or even find an Arachnid Mesh. the fact that so much loot feels impossibly inaccessible is a bit discouraging and yet it's fine. when i reach that wall, it's time for a new class and another romp to lv80. and after a few characters, i'm good and done

the game offers beaucoup fun for many hours. it's a great game, and VV did a pretty wonderful job on it

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Roranora View Post

i'll beat Baal Hell in HC but i'll never farm an Infinity, Last Wish, Enigma, Dragon, Phoenix etc. or even find an Arachnid Mesh. the fact that show much loot feels impossibly inaccessible is a bit discouraging and yet it's fine. when i reach that wall, it's time for a new class and another romp to lv80. and after a few characters, i'm good and done

the game offers beaucoup fun for many hours. it's a great game, and VV did a pretty wonderful job on it
    This sounds refreshingly normal on these boards lol

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

i sure hope one of you plays some coop with me before i'm done with the game

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Odess E'iron
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Maybe if I could connect with any other damn player in my FL without the game dumping me and saying the session is no longer available.

Absolute Messenger of Promathia
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Odesseiron View Post
    I think it's more this is a game that came out 20 years ago and several if not most of us probably put more hours into it than FFXI (I know I put in thousands of hours in D2 over 7+ years) so it's more I can't get that hype over a game I've done that with.
    The only reason I ever stopped playing D2 was because FFXI got me hooked lol. Before FFXI my day-to-day game was D2 and I loved it. I mentioned way back when this was announced I always wished they would just add a real endgame to D2, as Baal runs ain't fun and once you hit endgame unless you really love that loop theres nothing left to do or strive for... I still feel that way. I'll probably play through this with some friends, try to finish the 3 difficulties, and then just not care after that because it'll still have the same flaws now as it did back then and while I do love Diablo II, I've grown, and I kinda need an end goal even if its just something like Diablo 3 fastest rift times or the post-99 level up system I've forgot the name of.

Diablo II's loot is still one of my favorites in all gaming (with FFXI being a close second), so I'll get some fun out of it for sure... but yah... super wish they'd of added a real endgame.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Drai Draken
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

I mean, Ubers are still a thing for torch farming, but that’s about all there is for endgame.

My usual take is that D2 is a good game until you hit Hell. Once they patched in the possibility of monsters getting 2+ immunities was the moment you started fucking over a lot of builds and forcing the farming of specific areas for said builds and further mandated things like Infinity mercs. Otherwise, lots of other little imbalances existed like casters not having to care about weapons, Teleport being stupid OP for boss farming, defense dropping to 0 when running, dodge/block animation locks discouraging investment in related skills, MSLE being buggy AF, and more.

And while I played the fuck out of D2 back in the day, pretty much most of the time after 2002 was dedicated to the mod scene where myself and other like-minded sought to fix a lot of the broken stuff while introducing new things, including more of an endgame, at least until patch 1.09 broke all our efforts handily. Otherwise, we'd avoided a lot of the bullshit of bnet because we curated access to the realm and actually had things like public shared mules we'd offload things to for others to take care of without all the drama of trading. I know other mod teams have come and gone since then, but often times it felt like they doubled down on some of the more negative aspects of the game so they never managed to keep me hooked. By then, I was also well into XI and eventually D3 happened despite its own issues. That said, if D2R was actually more mod-friendly, I'd probably be more positive about it. Nothing I've read about the game so far suggests that is the case, and it may even be harder to do now since the games industry is far more obsessed with obfuscation and anti-piracy than it was back then.

I guess from the XI perspective, it'd be like SE got to mid-WotG and just stopped before Abyssea. The skeleton of a better game was beginning to show, but it just needed more meat on its bones and to shake off some of the baggage of the old days.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast