While reading a review on Samsung's new 980 NVME SSD, it mentioned that it was a DRAM-less SSD and instead used NVME's new(ish) HMB (Host Memory Buffer) spec to cache the data in the host's memory pool using DMA (Direct Memory Access) before writing it to the NAND flash.

My question is this. Is it safe to assume that any SSD that utilizes HMB to cache the data is vulnerable to data loss due to lack of PLP (power loss protection) circuits? Since the cache is not onboard, any capacitors typically used for a PLP circuit cannot power the DRAM memory module in the case of a power loss event. Or is there some other technology already prevalent that I am unaware of which will supply "emergency" power to the system's DRAM memory modules.

I did some preliminary googling and couldn't find much in the way of answers. Nowhere I've found that covered the HMB topic also mentioned its implication on PLP. Have any of you made the trip down this particular rabbit hole before me who could answer my question?