+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Secondary Monitor     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Fuck It, I'm Goin Deep Fan Club President
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Secondary Monitor

I finally want to get a second monitor. 2 questions!

1. I currently have: Asus VG248QE 24" Full HD 1920x1080 144Hz 1ms HDMI

Should I get a better monitor to main for my gaming? Or a lesser one for secondary stuff (internet/etc)

2. What else aside from the actual monitor would I need? Hardware/etc?

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Can definitely get much better mains and convert that to a secondary. Only hardware youd need is a wall or desk mount if that is the route you want to go.

Fuck It, I'm Goin Deep Fan Club President
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

I guess I should have asked...whats a better monitor to get? I know nothing about hardware

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Eragon Mcdohl
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

My personal opinion is that 1440p 144hz is the sweet spot right now but I use an ultrawide.

Ranger
    9900klub

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sonomaa Kihten
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Durotan
    Blog Entries

I really love an ultrawide as my secondary monitor

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

I second sono.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Will say ultrawide for main since this is likely to be a gaming rig. Secondary UW is great for productivity and saving space but not needed to throw up discord and chrome.

If you want recommendations for a primary display, I'll give you some choices. A few things before that:

Panel type
    VA: Good viewing angle, good color accuracy, best contrast, low input lag.

TN: Horrible viewing angle, bad color accuracy, bad contrast, best input lag.

IPS: Best viewing angle, best color accuracy, decent contrast, low to moderate input lag.

Adaptive Sync Type
    Freesync: Also known as VESA adaptive sync. Works on just about any graphics card, but has drawbacks compared to a dedicated gsync module such as visible backlight strobing, increased input lag, and sometimes reduced contrast ratio. Freesync is not hardware accelerate and has no module.

GSync: GSync monitors are typically only compatible with NVIDIA Gpus, however newer gsync modules also support AMD. The key difference here is the module itself, GSync is hardware accelerated. The module produces a higher quality, more stable image with little to no visible strobing and offers other features. For one, the module can overclock a display's refresh rate substantially (for example, 100 to 120, 120 to 144, etc), reduce input lag substantially, provide input lag data, perform BFI (inserts blank frames at low frame rates which smooths out the image to the naked eye, making frame dips and lower fps look smoother than it should be) and some other display by display features. This is the superior option by far but it comes with a slightly higher cost and on some monitors can cause a small amount of noise since many gsync modules require a small active cooling fan.

Widescreen:

Gigabyte M27Q||27in, 2560x1440, 170hz, Freesync, IPS||$360

ViewSonic XG270QG||27in, 2560x1440, 144hz, GSync, IPS||$600

Samsung Odyssey G7||32in, 2560x1440, 240hz, Freesync, VA||$700

Ultrawide:

Monoprice Dark Matter||34in, 3440x1440, 144hz, Freesync, VA||$400

Acer Nitro XV340CK||34in, 3440x1440, 144hz, Freesync, IPS||$450

LG 34GN850-B||34in, 3440x1440, 160hz, Freesync, IPS||$1000

AW3821DW||38in, 3840x1600, 144hz, GSync+Freesync, IPS||$1425

I've got the AW3821DW and it is phenomenal but odds are most will not be willing to spend that much in the heat of the moment. I will say it is the only one on this list that can offer a playable HDR experience. Sweet spot I'd recommend is the Acer if you are limited by budget.

Super Ultrawide:

Samsung CRG9||49in, 5120 x 1440, 120hz, Freesync, VA||$1200

Samsung Odyssey G9||49in, 5120x1440, 240hz, GSync+Freesync, VA||$1400

Super ultrawides have the benefit of essentially being 2 monitors in one, you can split the signal so that it is treated as two screens with no bezel in between. Both of these units support higher end HDR and are great picks, with one caveat. The 2021 G9 will be coming soon with mini LED back lighting and all around better specs, and it will blow this one away, so keep that in mind.

Overall I'd go with a regular ultrawide for gaming. The extra space to see the environment or place UI elements is genuinely game changing and it is hard to go back to a normal 16:9 display after experiencing it. If you have the cash I'd spring for a GSync model as well as a GSync chip offers a lot of advantages that you may be sensetive to over the software Freesync solution.